Traffic!!

A forum to discuss your work and issues regarding employment.
zinkyusa

Traffic!!

Post by zinkyusa »

Hamster wrote: I have just sat through 10 miles and 2 hours of traffic-partly "normal rush hour" and partly a motorway closure due to an acident...

Whats the normal situation where you live? I am interested to find out from all over the FG world :thinking:

Not bad here in Greensboro North Carolina Hamster. I work 9 miles from home and it takes about 20 minutes for me to drive it.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Bez

Traffic!!

Post by Bez »

We have local pockets of rush hour chaos am. and pm. and living near the M23 & M25 there are often problems there.

When I go to my brothers, I have to go via the M11....this motorway is 'accidentorama', specially near Stansted airport.

Sounds like hell on the roads where you live :eek:
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

Traffic!!

Post by Bez »

Hamster wrote: Yeah I was in Leeds tonight..scary....

I know the M11 well-too well...I go to Stansted often :-5

You travel a lot Hamster...is that with your job ? Must cost a fortune in petrol, specially when you stuck in jams...:(
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Traffic!!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hamster wrote: I have just sat through 10 miles and 2 hours of traffic-partly "normal rush hour" and partly a motorway closure due to an acident...

Whats the normal situation where you live? I am interested to find out from all over the FG world :thinking:

When I worked in the centre of Leicester, 20 odd years ago, it was 45 to 50 minutes for a six mile drive.

Now it's 10 minutes for a one mile walk :-) (or three hours for 110 miles bus walk train tube)
Betty Boop

Traffic!!

Post by Betty Boop »

:rolleyes: And theres me moaning it takes twenty minutes to get out of my town to get to work on a friday!:wah:
Marie5656

Traffic!!

Post by Marie5656 »

Usually our radio stations have regular traffic updates during moring and afternoon drive times. There was an issue here this afternoon where part of the road Rick and I take home from work was closed completely due to a transformer blowing, causing a power outtage. Luckily I caught it on the traffic report as I was going to pick Rick up at his job, so we got to avoid it.

BUT..there are the times when I have not heard the detour info in time and have been caught in the middle of horrid traffic. Longest I waited was about 45 minutes.
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well our nearest Motorway is the M5 and that is normally pretty quiet, but it can get busy sometimes as just a bit further north from me is Birmingham and the joining up with the M6, and that can be incredibly busy at times, especially during an accident or roadworks which they seem to have all the time now.
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hamster wrote: Yeah Chris..there are always roadworks on the M5 is there not??

Those ones near Bristol were there for a year nearly.... :rolleyes:

Oh too right, and the worse thing is, everytime you look, no-one ever seems to be working on them ever, and they just have those stupid cones blocking a whole lane up. And as you say we have roadworks near us that are going on for 17 months!!!! I mean what the heck is that all about!! :-2 :confused:
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Well thankfully we have never really been stuck in a long queue before, apart from the day we arrived back from the US. Now bare in mind that we had just crossed time zones and from 6pm to early morning our time, so we were already tired after a 11 hour flight. Then upon setting foot on the roads, we encountered an accident on the M25, which had just happened an delayed us for several hours, just to go a few miles. I tell you we were so angry, but yet so tired that we all nearly had a nap in the car whilst we just stood still!! :wah:
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hamster wrote: I agree with you and Chris...you go through the anger and then into resignation and then through to tiredness...Oh I missed out boredom!

Hahaha I know and it seems that when stuck in a traffic jam that the radio always plays the songs you hate or the same ones, and playing eye-spy on your own isn't exactly fun hehehe. Ah the joy of traffic! :p
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hehehe crikey if I started singing, then I'm sure that everyone would just high-tail it out of their cars and walk the rest of the distance!! :wah:
chrisb84uk

Traffic!!

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hamster wrote: I remember one time on the M4 I was soooo bored..and then a lady came and asked me about my business! I ended up with a new customer!! Result!! :wah:

I may park the car and start giving flyers out in the stationary traffic next time!

Hahaha wow that was a result. Have you ever had the window screen washer come up to whilst in traffic. Hehehe we have one before and let me tell you it wasn't a pretty sight!! :wah:

Return to “Work Employment”