So do You?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

So do You?

Post by cars »

"Lock" your doors in your house? Some here have said that they don't lock their house doors. It got me thinking, as my next door neighbor's doesn't lock their doors, ever. That seems a little disturbing in these times, especially since they have two young girls still living at home with them. The world now does not seem to be as trouble free as it once "may" have been believed to be! :wah:

SO DO YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE DOORS UNLOCKED?
Cars :)
Bez

So do You?

Post by Bez »

cars wrote: "Lock" your doors in your house? Some here have said that they don't lock their house doors. My next door neighbor's doesn't lock their doors, ever. That seems a little disturbing in these times, especially since they have two young girls still living at home with them. The world now does not seem to be as trouble free as it once "may" have been believed to be! :wah:

Locked and bolted....and the windows when we're out ....
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Sheryl

So do You?

Post by Sheryl »

No. I only lock my front door at night, just to keep it shut. But usually it and my back door are always unlocked. And my car. :-3

ya'll still don't know where I live right. :o
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
woppy71

So do You?

Post by woppy71 »

Around where I Live? I've got bloody gun turrets and mines installed:-2
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
Nomad

So do You?

Post by Nomad »

Im a locker. Ill even lock the upstairs windows if Im out. Id really hate to come home to find out someone has been in our sanctuary.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Marie5656

So do You?

Post by Marie5656 »

At night and when we are out, doors are double locked. Sometimes during the day, if we are home, I will have the front door unlocked.
Crème brûlée

So do You?

Post by Crème brûlée »

cars wrote: "Lock" your doors in your house? Some here have said that they don't lock their house doors. It got me thinking, as my next door neighbor's doesn't lock their doors, ever. That seems a little disturbing in these times, especially since they have two young girls still living at home with them. The world now does not seem to be as trouble free as it once "may" have been believed to be! :wah:

Locked.
cherandbuster

So do You?

Post by cherandbuster »

I'm a total locker, too.

Including the car.

You can't trust people you don't know.

And some of the ones you do! ;)
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

OpenMind

So do You?

Post by OpenMind »

I keep my doors locked. I'd hate to come home and find my precious crap gone.

Also, it's an obligation in the terms of the lease and the insurance would be void if I went out and left the place unlocked.
cars

So do You?

Post by cars »

Sheryl wrote: No. I only lock my front door at night, just to keep it shut. But usually it and my back door are always unlocked. And my car. :-3

ya'll still don't know where I live right. :o

Thank goodness for you Shery, it sounds like you never had your house robbed, & or your car stolen. Unfortunately, both happened to me personally. Over the years, I lived in many houses. One of those houses was broken in to & robbed. We moved 60 miles away, & 4 years later that house was broken into & robbed. Luckily for us, both times we were not home. (The cops looked for & found "forced" enrty. If the doors were open, they would not have called it a robbery) 13 years ago, our car (mint Riveria) was stolen (at 3am) , that was parked right in front of my in-laws house! It was such a violated, helpless, sick, feeling when each robbery occured. I hope we never have to go through anything like that ever again. Good luck to you, hope you never have to experience any thing like that either.
CARLA

So do You?

Post by CARLA »

LOCKED... !! IN THE SUMMER LOCKED DEAD BOLTED SAFTEY SCREEN DOOR It only take a few minutes for people to size your house up and believe me they do...

Yes the days when you could leave your door open in most city in this country are gone, but like lucky Sheryl she is in a safe place... Please be careful, bad people drive through safe places and see a great opportunity to do bad things.. :-2 Doesn't mean you have to live in fear just be aware.. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Rapunzel

So do You?

Post by Rapunzel »

cars wrote: Thank goodness for you Shery, it sounds like you never had your house robbed, & or your car stolen. Unfortunately, both happened to me personally. Over the years, I lived in many houses. One of those houses was broken in to & robbed. We moved 60 miles away, & 4 years later that house was broken into & robbed. Luckily for us, both times we were not home. (The cops looked for & found "forced" enrty. If the doors were open, they would not have called it a robbery) 13 years ago, our car (mint Riveria) was stolen (at 3am) , that was parked right in front of my in-laws house! It was such a violated, helpless, sick, feeling when each robbery occured. I hope we never have to go through anything like that ever again. Good luck to you, hope you never have to experience any thing like that either.

That sounds horrible cars! I've never had my house burgled *touch wood* but our cars been broken into and smashed up a couple of times and I've had my bag stolen once (from off the handlebar of a pushchair) and I've twice had my purse snatched out of my bag.

I know what you mean about feeling helpless and violated, even though it wasn't as bad as your robberies!

These happened in London, where I almost had my son snatched too!

I was walking through Debenhams, a large store in Oxford Street, London. My friend and I were both pushing babies along in pushchairs and chatting and my 3 year old son was walking behind us. The store was packed and I kept glancing at him, to make sure he was okay.

Because my friend was yakking non-stop I nearly didn't glance again, but luckily I did because a young middle-eastern couple had him by the hands and were bending down talking to him! I grabbed his hand and glared at them! I realise now I should have screamed "What the **** are you doing?" but I was so shocked my feet just carried on walking beside my friend and I dragged my son along with me. After about 30 seconds (although it seemed like half an hour) the young middle-eastern woman let go of my sons hand and disappeared into the crowd! My friend was still so busy yakking that she didn't notice anything and I was so totally shocked I never said a word! I never reported it either which I very much regret! My son, at the time, had beautiful blonde hair and big blue eyes and looked too pretty to be a boy. I have always wondered if they were trying to steal a white boy to sell and wish I had reported it to stop them grabbing another child! Having said that, I never heard of a child being grabbed from there, so I may be wrong.

But yes, we lock everything, whether we are home or not.

Some of our friends say we are over cautious, but it's better to be safe than sorry!
cars

So do You?

Post by cars »

Rapunzel wrote: That sounds horrible cars! I've never had my house burgled *touch wood* but our cars been broken into and smashed up a couple of times and I've had my bag stolen once (from off the handlebar of a pushchair) and I've twice had my purse snatched out of my bag.

I know what you mean about feeling helpless and violated, even though it wasn't as bad as your robberies!

These happened in London, where I almost had my son snatched too!

I was walking through Debenhams, a large store in Oxford Street, London. My friend and I were both pushing babies along in pushchairs and chatting and my 3 year old son was walking behind us. The store was packed and I kept glancing at him, to make sure he was okay.

Because my friend was yakking non-stop I nearly didn't glance again, but luckily I did because a young middle-eastern couple had him by the hands and were bending down talking to him! I grabbed his hand and glared at them! I realise now I should have screamed "What the **** are you doing?" but I was so shocked my feet just carried on walking beside my friend and I dragged my son along with me. After about 30 seconds (although it seemed like half an hour) the young middle-eastern woman let go of my sons hand and disappeared into the crowd! My friend was still so busy yakking that she didn't notice anything and I was so totally shocked I never said a word! I never reported it either which I very much regret! My son, at the time, had beautiful blonde hair and big blue eyes and looked too pretty to be a boy. I have always wondered if they were trying to steal a white boy to sell and wish I had reported it to stop them grabbing another child! Having said that, I never heard of a child being grabbed from there, so I may be wrong.

But yes, we lock everything, whether we are home or not.

Some of our friends say we are over cautious, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Wow, Rapun, your son must have had his guardian angle look after him. I'm so happy for you that he was not "kidnapped"! And you know that's exactally a very good possibility of what that couple was up to! Your friends are wrong, you can never be too cautious today in this troubled world in which we live!Like you said better to be safe, than sorry! Lock the doors, hold on to your kids, & hold on to your money in crowds!
Sheryl

So do You?

Post by Sheryl »

cars wrote: Thank goodness for you Shery, it sounds like you never had your house robbed, & or your car stolen. Unfortunately, both happened to me personally. Over the years, I lived in many houses. One of those houses was broken in to & robbed. We moved 60 miles away, & 4 years later that house was broken into & robbed. Luckily for us, both times we were not home. (The cops looked for & found "forced" enrty. If the doors were open, they would not have called it a robbery) 13 years ago, our car (mint Riveria) was stolen (at 3am) , that was parked right in front of my in-laws house! It was such a violated, helpless, sick, feeling when each robbery occured. I hope we never have to go through anything like that ever again. Good luck to you, hope you never have to experience any thing like that either.

We lock the doors if we are going on a trip out of town, even if it's just for shopping in Amarillo. But if I'm just running around town, I don't lock my doors. I live in a small town, and have great neighbors. Usually before any of the neighbors go on vacation they'll let several of us know, so we can keep an eye out.

my son
cars

So do You?

Post by cars »

Sheryl wrote: We lock the doors if we are going on a trip out of town, even if it's just for shopping in Amarillo. But if I'm just running around town, I don't lock my doors. I live in a small town, and have great neighbors. Usually before any of the neighbors go on vacation they'll let several of us know, so we can keep an eye out.

As you can immagine after our misfortunes, I'm a little gun shy! Now we lock everything, doesn't matter how long we'll be gone, even our suit cases are locked when traveling. The security guys at the airport make us open them if they x-ray screen the case & need a closer look at some of the stuff inside. Little extra hassle, but . . . . . .
Sheryl

So do You?

Post by Sheryl »

cars wrote: As you can immagine after our misfortunes, I'm a little gun shy! Now we lock everything, doesn't matter how long we'll be gone, even our suit cases are locked when traveling. The security guys at the airport make us open them if they x-ray screen the case & need a closer look at some of the stuff inside. Little extra hassle, but . . . . . .

I would probaly be the same way if I were in your shoes. Knock on wood, our town has virtually zero major crime. Mostly just teenagers doing stupid things like speeding or such. I hate the town sometimes cause it's so small, but then again I have to love it for it's a great place to raise your kids.

my son
Rapunzel

So do You?

Post by Rapunzel »

cars wrote: Wow, Rapun, your son must have had his guardian angle look after him. I'm so happy for you that he was not "kidnapped"! And you know that's exactally a very good possibility of what that couple was up to! Your friends are wrong, you can never be too cautious today in this troubled world in which we live!Like you said better to be safe, than sorry! Lock the doors, hold on to your kids, & hold on to your money in crowds!

I really think he did Cars! I so nearly didn't glance at him that second, because it seemed so rude to keep turning away from my gabby friend! But Thank God something made me double check!!

There was another incident where a little boy was running ahead of his mum when a car stopped and someone tried to grab the boy and pull him into the car. Luckily his mum ran up and grabbed her son. They struggled for a while but she eventually pulled the boy back out of the car.

I think we're more cautious because we lived in London for 10 years and we've had murders on our streets and IRA bombs exploding near by. Now we live in a country market town and the crimes are much smaller, eg. somebody nicks your bike or scratches your car. Thats why our friends don't see the dangers and why we're more conscious of what MIGHT happen! But as you say, it's FAR better to be safe than sorry!
white_rose

So do You?

Post by white_rose »

Deffinitly lock! But realised when the house was broken in to, that no lock will stop a thieve. With locked doors it is then called 'break and entry', as mentioned before.

The scary part of the break-in was, there had been a cop gone bad involved.

The only thing I'd like to say to a thieve "Please have the courtesy and leave the vacuum cleaner behind, so I can clean up the foot prints you left behind. You know the ones around the bed and all" :-2

Return to “General Chit Chat”