Anyone ever heat of Supplement: Tonain brand CLA?

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Hello

I was at the vitamin shop today, buying some supliments for my husband and myself. The man there was telling me about a new "weight loss" supliment called CLA..conjugated linoleic acid. It is aparently a supliment for folks who's life or circumstances do not allow for as much exercise as they need. Some of its claims is that it reduces the amount of fat stored after eating; increases fat breakdown and increases rate of fat metabolism. The brochure says alot more, but it is along these lines.

OK here is the thing, I have only been going to this vitamin/nutrition shop for a few months, but I like the manager there, and he ahs give me some good advice in the past few months..either anecdotal or by reccomending books or literature. But this seems too much like one of these too good to be true things.

I am overweight, and need to loose about 100 + pounds. I am beginning menopause, and have a job where I am prety much desk bound for much of my day. I have arthritus which limits the amount of time I can comfortably walk..but I do want to get some low impact exercise in. This is actually the first job I have had in many years where I have not had some level of movement and activity in my day. So I am rather concerned there.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Marie5656 wrote: Hello

I was at the vitamin shop today, buying some supliments for my husband and myself. The man there was telling me about a new "weight loss" supliment called CLA..conjugated linoleic acid. It is aparently a supliment for folks who's life or circumstances do not allow for as much exercise as they need. Some of its claims is that it reduces the amount of fat stored after eating; increases fat breakdown and increases rate of fat metabolism. The brochure says alot more, but it is along these lines.

OK here is the thing, I have only been going to this vitamin/nutrition shop for a few months, but I like the manager there, and he ahs give me some good advice in the past few months..either anecdotal or by reccomending books or literature. But this seems too much like one of these too good to be true things.

I am overweight, and need to loose about 100 + pounds. I am beginning menopause, and have a job where I am prety much desk bound for much of my day. I have arthritus which limits the amount of time I can comfortably walk..but I do want to get some low impact exercise in. This is actually the first job I have had in many years where I have not had some level of movement and activity in my day. So I am rather concerned there.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated. I must admit Marie, i've never heard of it so i googled conjugated linoleic acid and found this article which explains how it works pretty good.

I'm a bit sceptical myself.

http://www.ironmagazine.com/review9.html
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I had never heard of it either. But as I said, so far the guy in the store has not steared me wrong yet. But, I am just looking for a supliment that will go with the healthy eating and the seditary lifestyle. So we will have to see.

I will definatly have to read the article, thanks.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Marie, not to imply that you are not a bright person, because I'm sure you are, but the guy at the vitamin shop wants to sell stuff. It's his job to get you to buy.

We have all seen those comercials for this miracle pill or that incredible supplement to help lose weight. You know what I see in all of them? Two phrases: "Results not typical", and "when added to your DIET AND EXERCISE regiment."

Let's face it. If a perfect body came in a bottle, we'd all have one. Proper diet and working out are the best ways to lose weight.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

BabyRider wrote: Marie, not to imply that you are not a bright person, because I'm sure you are, but the guy at the vitamin shop wants to sell stuff. It's his job to get you to buy.

BabyRider, I know you are right, and I take no offense at what you say. The thought ran through my mind, also.

Which is why I walked out of there only with what I went in for...some Niacin for Rick, and a Calcium & Magnesium suppliment for me. And Oh yes.some hand lotion because it smelled nice.

I would never consider buying such a product without research, and in my mind, some of the best research is to ask another person..one who will not benefit financially by whether or not I buy it. Thanks for your input though. You seem a smart lady, and I enjoy reading what you have to say about life.
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Hi there, Marie.

I am not an expert on these matters. I do have a degree in biochemistry- big deal, because this doesn't help you. Baby Rider has the situation pretty much under control, and I know you know it.

There really are not any safe short cuts- I could suggest one or two supplements that really will take the pounds off- they'll also take the years off.

It is so easy for me typing across to you, and I really feel for you. I guess you've got to set yourself tough, but realistic targets to get where you want to be.

Might sound daft (good English word!) but when my wife was looking to lose weight, she ate an apple before each meal. There's a good reason for it, and I think it is that it partly fills you up- she's gone to bed, not feeling well. Nothing to do with the apple!

Anyhow, good luck.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

An apple, JayDee? Interesting. Will have to try that. I think I may pass on this supplement for now...unless I hear of undisputed facts stating that it does indeed work to my benefit.

Interesting input from everyone here.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Marie5656 wrote: Hello

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

CLA comes from beef. It's a fatty acid, not a magic fat burner. It's being sold unethically. The "science" used to support the claims is junk.

You don't lose weight by popping a pill.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

alobar51 wrote: CLA comes from beef. It's a fatty acid, not a magic fat burner. It's being sold unethically. The "science" used to support the claims is junk.

You don't lose weight by popping a pill.

Very interesting, alobar. I did not know that. I have come to the decision that I will pass on this product. When taking the advice of the guy at the vitamin store, I will stick to the products I am familiar with or at least have heard of.
alobar51

Post by alobar51 »

Marie5656 wrote: Very interesting, alobar. I did not know that. I have come to the decision that I will pass on this product. When taking the advice of the guy at the vitamin store, I will stick to the products I am familiar with or at least have heard of.

You state in your original post that you need to lose 100 lbs.

That being the case, the last thing you need is anything found in the weight loss section of a health food store, or the advice of its owner/manager. That's difficult to accept when you have a personal relationship with him, and he's undoubtably well intentioned, but horribly unqualified, if he's touting the virtues of CLA to someone 100 lbs. overweight.

Accurate information is difficult to assess in this industry. It has to do mostly with deep, fundamental, institutional flaws in our healthcare system, that are too extensive to detail on a posting board. I've written about it. If you'd like the article forwarded, you can contact me.

I've been a nutritional therapist for over ten years, and when we see clients in similar situations, the biggest hurdle to overcome is in changing the way they perceive the problem.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey Marie...

That is an ambitious goal.. 100lbs.. but you can do it. First thing I would do is make a Dr. appt. and get a thorough checkup. Explain to him what you want to do. Step 2.. an appt. with a nutritionist. Do an evaluation with them and set up a healthy diet that will supply your body with what it needs. Step 3.. and this is the toughest part, join a gym and meet with a private trainer. They will set up a safe reasonable workout that will allow you to accomplish your goal. Stay positive.. and keep us informed..

Diet and exercise will allow you to do this. Not gimmicky fat burning come on ads..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”