The Irish

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

The Irish, whether they are debating the finer points of our troubled history in a taxi cab, drinking at a local or queueing for a coleslaw sandwich at a convenience store, this handy guide will ensure all prospective tourist on how we are. LOL.

Pubs.

Public houses, or pubs as they are known, are the main social centres in Ireland. If you are a foreigner visiting an Irish pub for the very first time, it is considered good manners to buy everyone in the pub at least two drinks.

Traditional Irish drinks include Hot Toddy (Hot Whiskey), ice-cold Guinness, Miller Light Shandy, Triple Vodka's & Red Bull, Baileys Cream and Hot Devils (Brandy added).

Publicans ( Bar Owners) are not allowed to serve customers if they are drunk, except they are friends of the publican himself.

If it is past closing time and the bar tender has not asked you if you have to go, you are drinking after hours.

Irish Language.

Many signs, including place names are well posted as the country's second official language known as Irish ( or Gaeilige) Ta se mahogy gas pipe.

Cantonese is now spoken commonly in all local stores.

Meals.

Irish people generally eat four square meals, breakfast, lunch (otherwise known as dinner), high tea (also known as dinner), and takaways.

After an evening of convivial drinking, Irish people traditionally sit down (or stand up) to a late night takeaway meal of fish and chips. Also popular specialities include Chicken Chow Mein (No 26) and Batterburgers ( a dish composed of reconstituted beef parts cooked in batter)

Convenience store dining is growing in popularity at lunchtime. Ham and colesaw sandwiches, potato wedegs and dodgy meat pies are usually eaten in car parks.

Singing & Dancing.

Guests at weddings, funerals, cremations and wakes are usually expected to sing at least one song.

It is normal to turn down the offer to sing initially and then give a recital of 30 minutes or so later.

If you do not know any Irish songs, then you would be expected to sing the chorus of The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel.

Most Irish dancing now takes place in discos, night clubs or raves.

Lap dancing, where a male remains almost motionless while a female from some East European country performs Riverdance to the music of a Russian horse :driving: trot. :driving:

Attached files
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

Even some of our English visitors come over for this:D
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

tmbsgrl wrote: I think it sounds very interesting there, My mom fiancee has been begging us to go there but i can not see me on a plane for 17 hours or however long the flights is. It is up there though.. I am restless and i can not sit down.. LOl7 hours, at most. You can sleep or watch a movie ect. Some flights you can walk about on. Come on over. www.ireland.ie..

www.discoverireland.ie Irish Sites www.ivenus.com

www.dublin.ie

www.irishpubs.com
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

Just a thought Any Irish present, American Irish,English Irish and Canadian Irish?
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

Now some of them Brits are becoming more Irish than the Irish themselves:p
capt_buzzard

The Irish

Post by capt_buzzard »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Its the Smithwicks and the Kilkenny that does thatWell I have my 2nd home in Mooncoin County Kilkenny.

Return to “Ireland”