tenerife/ibiza

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
buttercup

tenerife/ibiza

Post by buttercup »

time to book the holidays & its looking like tenerife or ibiza, sooooooo who's been & can you recommend a good hotel
jennyswan

tenerife/ibiza

Post by jennyswan »

Well according to everyone I know who has been to Tenerife It's a complete 'HOLE'.It's just full of beer drinking yobs and louts and there's not a lot to do.

What type of holiday are you looking for?
golem

tenerife/ibiza

Post by golem »

buttercup wrote: time to book the holidays & its looking like tenerife or ibiza, sooooooo who's been & can you recommend a good hotel

OK, I’m not in the first bloom of youth but my wife and me just LOVE Tenerife!

I’ve lost count the number of times that I’ve been to Tenerife and we’re in the process of buying a house there right now to retire to in a couple of years time Please G-d.

The climate is great all the year round – you don’t get the oppressive heat that you do in the height of the summer in the Med. Some rain in the winter but not a great deal, overall it’s really nice.

Tenerife can be all things to all people. The North of the Island is sub-tropical with lots of greenery and certainly less of a holiday feel to the place whereas the South is very much a series of holiday resorts and very dry.

There are parts of the South that are the hang out for the younger people who simply want to sleep all day and get smashed at night, most noticeably the Veronicas strip at the Playa de las Americas, and it must be said that from about 20,00 hrs it’s not a place to go for a quiet drink.

On the other hand just a short distance away at Los Cristianos it’s lively but not raucous and there’s more than a few very nice little bars and restaurants. Both food and drink is inexpensive and generally good quality with all sorts on offer from German stodge (which I love!) through English, French, Spanish (of course) Chinese, Thai, even native Canarian though for this you really need to go out of the resort.

In the opposite direction from The Strip (Veronicas and adjoining territories) is Adaje which is another quieter place again with lots of reasonable bars and restaurants and a short taxi ride away (taxi’s are not expensive, nor is car hire) is La Calletta, a small village with a very nice hotel that I’ve stayed at several times, and a quiet beach right across the road.

It’s quite a big island and there’s quite a bit to see and do. Organised excursions are horribly expensive but car hire is not and although the driving is a bit --- Spanish --- the roads aren’t bad and the drive ip Mount Tedi is absolutely wonderful. The road goes up to with 2000 feet of the summit and weather permitting there’s a cable car for the last bit to the peak.

When we go we rent a flat. With the Globespan low cost flights now running from Glasgow (Stanstead for us) at around £140 return per person, and with places like Alondras Park offering a two bed apartment from 35 to 54 Euros per day depending on season, for us it makes much more sense than taking a package. OK, it’s bit basic, it’s about 5 miles from Play de las Americas, but it’s close to the village and it suits OUR needs.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like more, or any specifics. I don't want to comment on hotels on the forum but there's a couple of places to avoid like the plague though most are from fine to very good indeed.
buttercup

tenerife/ibiza

Post by buttercup »

jennyswan - diving during the day & we will prolly join the beer swilling slobs on the occasional night :D

golem - thank you for that informative piece, i will check out alondras park & p.m you for more details as required, appreciated ;)
Nomad

tenerife/ibiza

Post by Nomad »

I hear Ulaangom Mongolia is nice this time of year. :)
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

tenerife/ibiza

Post by CARLA »

OK I have done my fair amount of world travel, but where the heck are these two places..!! :wah:

Nomad I can see you in Mongolia !! :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Bothwell

tenerife/ibiza

Post by Bothwell »

Tenerife is in theCanary Islands Carla, Out in the Atlantic, owned by Spain, pretty warm all year round.

Ibiza is in the Balearics in the Med again owned by spian, both are very popular with Brit holiday makers
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
jennyswan

tenerife/ibiza

Post by jennyswan »

jennyswan - diving during the day & we will prolly join the beer swilling slobs on the occasional night

golem - thank you for that informative piece, i will check out alondras park & p.m you for more details as required, appreciated

My sisters father in law has a flat there and she said she wouldn't go there for free after the first 2 times. I've had other friends that hated it toooo.

I suppose depends what you are looking for and everybody will have somewhere they dislike. I was in the Algarve and although the people were so nice and friendly I didn't think that the landscape was that spectacular. :thinking:
buttercup

tenerife/ibiza

Post by buttercup »

a holiday is what you make it jenny, we would have a good time wherever we went, its sad when people decide to concentrate on the negatives rather than the positives of a country
golem

tenerife/ibiza

Post by golem »

Some things to do in Tenerife ---

(‘google’ the place names – they’ve got web sites)

Visit Tenerife Pearl. It’s a jewellery shop that sells all sorts of jewellery from el-cheepo stuff through to some quite nice things. The prices are not really cheap but the place has displays of nits and pieces, sells various precious and semi-precious stones in various items of jewellery, has a café section, amazingly clean toilets, and great air-con! It’s right next to a banana plantation and Canarian bananas fresh off the tree are wonderful! You will often find them being sold in roadside stalls that sell fresh veg and fruit to locals and tourists alike. The Prickly Pear fruit are to die for!

Then there’s Loro Park. Not cheap but a good day out.

Wanna great beach? The beach at Los Cristianos is very nice indeed and the sea front shops are well positioned and not too expensive. Keep an eye out for ‘bogof’ deals at Kentucky Fried Something and the like. OK, I know, but at least the places are predictable.

Another one? We loke Play Colon at Adaje (near Playas – Americas). Great and safe for swimming, handy sea front shops – try The Blue Marlin for a really good nosh, not expensive and their English Breakfast is worth the walk.

Another day out – Santa Cruz. The old city in the North. There is a bus but hire cars are so inexpensive there ad the convenience of having one ---. There’s a main street with a very good selection of shops including a couple of big café’s with seats and tables outside under the shelter of trees.

Also a wonderful cake shop at the top end of the street with cream cakes that make your arteries harden from thirty paces! You can take a ferry for a day trip to other islands from here if that’s your thing and there’s another really great beach just to the north and past the docks and on the road to San Andreas. Not much in the way of shops (like just a kiosk!) but a good car park and it’s very popular with the locals.

Another? Mount Teidi. It’s a ‘must do’. It’s very high and you can drive up for the first 10,000 feet and at that height look DOWN on the clouds and aircraft coming in to land at the Southern airport. The lava fields are amazing and the colours are spectacular to say the least.

Maybe combine a trip to Teidi with a visit to the Dragon Tree at Icod de los Viños. OK, there’s only a certain amount of time that a tree is worth watching but the town is very worth walking around as it is typically Canarian and has a couple of shops that sell some of the better tourist stuff including Canarian wines.

You just GOTTA go on a ‘Whales and Dolphins’ trip out from Los Cristianos though. Around £25 per head gives a really good trip on a glass bottomed boat (we favour The Monte Carlo!) and they take you to watch pilot whales and dolphins and anything else that’s around. If you time it right, like the summer, you may even see shoals of flying fish as you make passage to where you spend time having lunch (provided in the price, basic but OK) and swim in the warmish waters.

Markets? GREAT! You can buy a watch that the guy who is selling it swears is a genuine Rolex for around £25 ---- or a handbag that I can’t tell from a real Guci for around a tenner. You’ll need to barter and lie through your teeth but it’s all expected and part of the fun. There’s also some very good leather goods on sale and the clothes (unbranded) are also good value. Mind pickpockets.

For those who are interested I’ll mention the South Tenerife Christian Fellowship. It’s a non-denominational Christian group who hold religious services on Sundays. It’s a ‘low church’ and as such it welcomes all people. Not my scene for a number of reasons. They have a web site under ‘stcf. They do good work amongst the Islands poor and those young people who get into trouble. I know a couple of people who are involved and I have a very great deal of time for them and what they do.

I could go on and on but won’t. Tenerife is what YOU want to make it. There’s oodles on the web about the place and we think it’s the ‘mutts nuts’. (For the sake of any colonials that means we think it’s a very nice place to go!)

buttercup

tenerife/ibiza

Post by buttercup »

you just keep the info coming golem im loving it :D
buttercup

tenerife/ibiza

Post by buttercup »

its booked - playa de las americas, mid june :D
Nomad

tenerife/ibiza

Post by Nomad »

playa de las americas

thats not even real you just made that up :yh_bye ;)
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Chit Chat”