Sotu

Discuss the latest political news.
Bothwell

Sotu

Post by Bothwell »

So I shall be recording it as it's a bit late for me, who is going to listen and what are you expecting?
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

Sotu

Post by lady cop »

all i can reply is that i am so glad i taped 'bleak house' sunday night! :)
Bothwell

Sotu

Post by Bothwell »

LC that is an outrageous thing to say for a Massachusetts Yankee!!!!

We should never have let you have the place, especially because the French helped you out.
lady cop

Sotu

Post by lady cop »

LET us have it??? hahahahaha...you can thank those bright red jackets all marching out in the open! :yh_rotfl ...........so, how about a cuppa of boston harbor tea? :D

Attached files
Accountable

Sotu

Post by Accountable »

HERE is the link to CSPAN's collection of past addresses. the newest will be there a couple of days from now, I'm sure.
chonsigirl

Sotu

Post by chonsigirl »

I had to look at the acronym.........................never seen it put that way before!:wah:
chonsigirl

Sotu

Post by chonsigirl »

Yeah, I thought, Sotu..............some old thread uplink or something................

More like Tofu!:p
Accountable

Sotu

Post by Accountable »

That link I put in post #5 works. Most of the speech was empty platitudes, and some of it scared me. Should we discuss it here or make separate threads of each issue?
chonsigirl

Sotu

Post by chonsigirl »

Make separate threads of the issues you want to discuss, AC.

You can also add a poll, for what they thought of the speech.
Bothwell

Sotu

Post by Bothwell »

Oh Dear Oh dear, he actually (or his speechwriters did) steal some lines from the fictional WEST Wing series,

"Even 7,000 miles away, across oceans and continents, on mountaintops and in caves -- you will not escape the justice of this nation. "

I have to say I thought it was the most transparent piece of crap I have listened to in ages and remember I have to listen to Blair on a regular basis.

What a crafty tactic concentrating on Afghanistan as opposed to Iraq at the start, it really made me forget there was a war at all.

Any way I thought the opening was fantastic, here are the opening lines :

"As we gather tonight, our nation is at war, our economy is in recession, and the civilized world faces unprecedented dangers. Yet the state of our Union has never been stronger. (Applause.) " I left in the appluase, do my American friends feel as though teh State of their union is stronger than ever?

Just one more line from the Texas Oil man who thumbs his nose at Koyoto :

"Good jobs also depend on reliable and affordable energy. This Congress must act to encourage conservation, promote technology, build infrastructure, and it must act to increase energy production at home so America is less dependent on foreign oil. (Applause.) "

Return to “Current Political Events”