Love

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
lady cop

Love

Post by lady cop »

what is it? what does it mean?
spot

Love

Post by spot »

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=83355 seems a good starting point for your enquiry. It came out this Wednesday.

I quite like Benedict's style. Here's a sample that particularly struck me as true: "It is part of love's growth towards higher levels and inward purification that it now seeks to become definitive, and it does so in a twofold sense: both in the sense of exclusivity (this particular person alone) and in the sense of being “for ever”. Love embraces the whole of existence in each of its dimensions, including the dimension of time. It could hardly be otherwise, since its promise looks towards its definitive goal: love looks to the eternal. Love is indeed “ecstasy”, not in the sense of a moment of intoxication, but rather as a journey, an ongoing exodus out of the closed inward-looking self towards its liberation through self-giving".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Love

Post by CARLA »

LOVE...!! :-4

[QUOTE]Love Defined

A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

[QUOTE]Perhaps, the most important of Divine Laws is the 'law of love.' Put simply, "Love is Law, Law is Love." This amounts to the same thing as "the gift of giving" without the hope of reward or pay, or serving others. When you do the right thing for others you receive gifts in unexpected ways. Paradoxically, those who help you may not be those you help. The help you receive may come from surprisingly distant connections.

A stranger you were once.

Then, with a gentle look you took my hand.

As our lives engaged,

you lit my life and I held both your hands.

Now that decades have passed,

our souls have indeed become one.

How fortunate we are

that we have found the love so true

that everyone dreams about.

by Laura Veronica Merodio
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nibbles

Love

Post by Nibbles »

I dunno but I saw love story and it said

"Love means never having to say you are sorry"

Seems like good rule?
nvalleyvee

Love

Post by nvalleyvee »

Nibbles wrote: I dunno but I saw love story and it said

"Love means never having to say you are sorry"

Seems like good rule?

It was a sappy movie..............but I do believe in being in love.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Nibbles

Love

Post by Nibbles »

nvalleyvee wrote: It was a sappy movie..............but I do believe in being in love.

Not sappy hon............ one of the best ever made......... IMO
ChiptBeef

Love

Post by ChiptBeef »

lady cop wrote: what is it?
Handcuffs and at least one duty belt. :-4
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi
CARLA

Love

Post by CARLA »

:-4 Love isn't it grand..!! :D

[QUOTE]1) Melanie Griffith

There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart.

2) Anonymous

Love is grand; divorce is a hundred grand.

3) Woody Allen

I was nauseous and tingly all over. I was either in love or I had smallpox.

4) Woody Allen

The last time I was inside a woman was when I went to the Statue of Liberty.

5) Freud

The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is, "What... does a woman want?"

6) Samuel Johnson

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

7) Woody Allen

To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore to love is to suffer, not to love is to suffer. To suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy then is to suffer. But suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be unhappy one must love, or love to suffer, or suffer from too much happiness. I hope you're getting this down.

8) Agatha Christie

An archeologist is the best husband any woman can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.

9) Albert Einstein

Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love.

10) Melanie Clark

You can't put a price tag on love, but you can on all its accessories.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

AussiePam

Love

Post by AussiePam »

That's nice mrsK - nice photo of you too on the other thread. My Dylan song quote about Love being just a four letterword is, on reflection, a bit cynical, and I've deleted it. Loves can screw you around for sure, but I for one will always take the risk. It's worth it. You gotta follow your heart.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

lady cop

Love

Post by lady cop »

i found the Pope's encyclical fascinating and compelling, despite not being Catholic.
spot

Love

Post by spot »

lady cop wrote: i found the Pope's encyclical fascinating and compelling, despite not being Catholic.I'm pleased to have brought it to your attention, then. Despite not being Catholic.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Love

Post by lady cop »

love, to me, means and has always meant, i would stand in front of a steaming locomotive for those i adore, my kids and my man, if it ensured their lives. i was sworn to do it for the general public, stand and take a bullet for my fellow man...it's all love. but ah, the heart...the heart goes to my soulmate. :yh_yinyan
jennyswan

Love

Post by jennyswan »

There are all different kinds of love but to define romantic love for me...

Love is taking the good with the bad, viewing life together with optimism, being able to talk openly about things, feeling secure together and genuinely caring about the well being of the other person. Trying to lift them when they are down and being there to listen when they need it. It's also about fun together and laughing together and trying to make the world a better place together :-4
Bothwell

Love

Post by Bothwell »

I may have missed something here but is this in response to the popes treatise on love??? Did he follow it up with a lecture on abortion and birth control or is he being spun as a "Modern" pope.

As I remember one of the lines was regarding that the definition was love between a man and a woman etc etc. So this guy who has supposedly decided on a life of celibacy is lecturing us as to what love is, I would like him to now adress the sytematic abusers who are protected by his church and have been for years, he can also have a stab at why the stance taken by some of his African bishops goes directly against the camapaign to restrict the spread of aids.

Sorry to any catholics out there rhis offends but it my opinion and a firmly held one as you can tell, this man has no relevance to my life and will never have until the institution for which he stands adresses the injustices it has visited on people it claims to love and protect
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
PurpleChicken

Love

Post by PurpleChicken »

Love .... I curl up with my man, and know that I'm "home". That's what I call love.
jennyswan

Love

Post by jennyswan »

I may have missed something here but is this in response to the popes treatise on love??? Did he follow it up with a lecture on abortion and birth control or is he being spun as a "Modern" pope.

As I remember one of the lines was regarding that the definition was love between a man and a woman etc etc. So this guy who has supposedly decided on a life of celibacy is lecturing us as to what love is, I would like him to now adress the sytematic abusers who are protected by his church and have been for years, he can also have a stab at why the stance taken by some of his African bishops goes directly against the camapaign to restrict the spread of aids.

Sorry to any catholics out there rhis offends but it my opinion and a firmly held one as you can tell, this man has no relevance to my life and will never have until the institution for which he stands adresses the injustices it has visited on people it claims to love and protect

No offense taken, all these things turned me right off going to church.

Some guy up on an alter preaching about what he has never lived through is a bit much isn't it.

There are huge scandals here in Ireland concerning the Catholic church and it's 'men of god'.

Here is an interesting link:

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=41982

I especially like the bit where it says:

Bishop Drennan said that he was confident that the priests and people of the Galway would welcome the former bishop's return, and allow him "the privacy and peace that he deserves" in his retirement home.
hotsauce

Love

Post by hotsauce »

i always use the bullet rule...if i would take a bullet for him that is love!
valerie

Love

Post by valerie »

hotsauce wrote: i always use the bullet rule...if i would take a bullet for him that is love!

KILLER AVATAR HOTTIE!! AYUP!!!

(Betcha BR will have somethin' to say about that Bullet, mmm-hmmm!!)

:-4 :-4
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

hotsauce

Love

Post by hotsauce »

thanks! i'm a SM now! wahoo!

i would ummm...errr....of course not try to take BR's bullet...i like breathing! :D
CARLA

Love

Post by CARLA »

I am a Catholic and no offense taken Bothwell. I agree with you 100% it is beyond belief that they cover this up, and let it continue in the Church. Not acceptable in my book period.:thinking:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

minks

Love

Post by minks »

FAR!!!!

you idjit, now I have that song in my head.

Love to me, tis the feeling I get when I take someones hand and walk life together with them.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Love

Post by minks »

hotsauce wrote: thanks! i'm a SM now! wahoo!

i would ummm...errr....of course not try to take BR's bullet...i like breathing! :D

congrats on the support thang there Hot.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
jennyswan

Love

Post by jennyswan »

Isn't the love boat usually about murder? :sneaky:

Hey Far, Welcome back. Hope you're well :yh_hugs
jennyswan

Love

Post by jennyswan »

So Jenn tell us why you love tha guy of yours, What made him strike your fancy chord?

He's nice to me. He really listens when I talk and we are good friends. You don't have to hide and not be yourself. It helped that he is 6ft 2 and gorgeous too :wah:
jennyswan

Love

Post by jennyswan »

So all I had to do was grow 2 inches and be nice to ya? (oh and turn gorgeous) Oh well it was a nice thought!

Don't change Far, you are perfect just the way you are :-4
AussiePam

Love

Post by AussiePam »

Far - I think you kinda hit the nail on the head... When you love someone it's not - in spite of their oddities, it's sort of because of them. Those strange little things that are part of the individualness of the person you love and touch you.. like sniffing the food. Grin.

AussiePam

Love

Post by AussiePam »

But of course, Far !!! (big inscrutable smile with just a wee hint of fluttering eyelashes) I LOVE MY TUCKER !!! No fainting anorexic or pale vegan moi. A trencherman.. er gal ... from birth - guaranteed to do justice to anything going - that's gourmet cuisine of couse or good down home cooking.. One hasta be discriminating. As for quantity - I'm almost never defeated (the Big Texan Steakhouse in beautiful Amarillo being one of the rare exceptions). And like fine wine... good food needs to be savoured...(okay sniffed!!!)) the aroma enjoyed, the colour and texture appreciated. And of course it needs to be taken in relaxed mode, in good company - and with a fine (preferably aussie) wine.

Nomad

Love

Post by Nomad »

Love ? Its a many splendored thing. You see what Im saying copper ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Love

Post by lady cop »

Nomad wrote: Love ? Its a many splendored thing. You see what Im saying copper ?yes, and i have a further observation /opinion on a multi-faceted subject...i think love is when you make the beloved see themselves as they would like to see themselves. when, through your eyes they become wonderful, and you tell them they are wonderful and all the reasons why. it makes people want to live up to that praise and admiration. i think when a person insults and reduces a beloved, they kill the spirit. and kill love.
AussiePam

Love

Post by AussiePam »

You're so right LC. Hang on to that love !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”