Legal age of consent

Katy1

Legal age of consent

Post by Katy1 »

Following some interesting discussion about young mothers I thought it would be interesting to hear what the legal age of consent is in your particular country and whether it actually makes any difference to the age which girls are getting pregnant where you are.

Does the age of consent actually mean much nowadays? If youngsters are flouting the laws, do they need to be reviewed? Does sexual education in schools and at home make a difference?

Here in England the age of consent is 16 for heterosexuals and 16 also for homosexuals. Given this law we have the highest rate of teen pregnancy in Europe. Our government seems to be failing miserably in tackling it, schizophrenic about it's approaches.

Your views?
BabyRider

Legal age of consent

Post by BabyRider »

Katy, first off, clear your PM box, please. I tried to reply to your last note and it got kicked back to me.

In answer to your question, the legal age for consent here is 18. Anyone engaging in sexual activity with someone under that age is susceptible to legal repercussions and being listed as a sex offender for the rest of their lives. It doesn't seem to be having a whole lot of impact on the numbers of teen pregnancies, though, unfortunately.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

orangesox1

Legal age of consent

Post by orangesox1 »

The legal age over here is 16, My daughter has had a boyfriend for the last nine months so not being naive I took her to the Doctor for the pill.

She has a friend 16 who is having a baby in Feb, one of my student borders from last year will not be coming back to finish school as she is also pregnant. and one of my sons friends is 17 and pregnant ( not his thank goodness ) we are only living in a small town too, so it seems like a lot for a town this size, there are probably ones I haven't heard about as well.

If the age of consent was 18 I don't think it would make a difference at all, I think my daughter is to young to be in a sexual relationship, and don't think she is old enough to be taking the pill, but I also know it wouldn't make a difference to her being sexually active if she wasn't. I just don't want to see her pregnant, I also wonder why the other Mothers didn't take some responsibility and take there Daughters to the Dr, I know they knew their daughters were active.

It should not be the parents responsibility, if a teenager is the legal age they should be old enough to take them selves to the Dr, but there not and they don't, therefore showing they are not at a responsibe age to be consenting, hence the parents needing to do something about it
capt_buzzard

Legal age of consent

Post by capt_buzzard »

Same here Sweet 16. But it was not so in my day. It was 21:-1 .

Return to “Societal Issues News”