John Spencer from The West Wing dies

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

I agree. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this on the show.

One thing that really surprised me was that he was only 58. I thought he was a lot older.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

what's ironic is that last season there was a lengthy arc about him having a massive heart attack, and being pretty seriously disabled by it for a long time.

i don't watch the show any more, the writing has gone down the toilet since sorkin left. but his character was well played.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Somebody post a pic please. I think it was the gray-headed (grey-haired) guy, but I'm not sure. I seldoom watch the show.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Accountable wrote: Somebody post a pic please. I think it was the gray-headed (grey-haired) guy, but I'm not sure. I seldoom watch the show.i remember him from LA Law..................

John Spencer attends the 2002 Golden Globe Awards.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Paul is right there was a huge storyline that had him having a heart attack recently over here. I am not sure where the UK is in the sequence of series gut I watched one last night and it has Josh running a campaign by Congressman Sastos (Jimmy Smits) and compared to the early series it was pants.

I loved this show almost to the point of obsession, the camerawork and dialogue were the very best you will ever see, if you doubt me try and see episode one where the late John Spencer does a 3 minute walkthrough the west wing and meets all the main chracters without pause in one continous shot.

the casting is superb, Alison Janney, john Spencer, Richrad Scieff and Martin Sheen.

I wish they would just let it go now as it is a shadow of it's former self.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Bothwell wrote: Paul is right there was a huge storyline that had him having a heart attack recently over here. I am not sure where the UK is in the sequence of series gut I watched one last night and it has Josh running a campaign by Congressman Sastos (Jimmy Smits) and compared to the early series it was pants.

I loved this show almost to the point of obsession, the camerawork and dialogue were the very best you will ever see, if you doubt me try and see episode one where the late John Spencer does a 3 minute walkthrough the west wing and meets all the main chracters without pause in one continous shot.

the casting is superb, Alison Janney, john Spencer, Richrad Scieff and Martin Sheen.

I wish they would just let it go now as it is a shadow of it's former self.
Yes, this season has been a disapointment. However, the 'live' debate the candidates engaged in was very well done.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I dont think we have the debate show yet, I do think Will Bailey character is a great addition and superbly played by Molina
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Bothwell wrote: I dont think we have the debate show yet, I do think Will Bailey character is a great addition and superbly played by Molina
How far behind are you in seeing this season's shows?

My favorite episode is when President Bartlette rants against God and puts his cigarette out on the church floor.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

We just had Smits in New Hampshire with Josh.

Loved the church episode it was when Mrs Landingham was killed by the drunk driver.

I think Lily Tomlin is a great replacement
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

i believe seasons one and two, possibly three, are available on DVD. i'm tempted to rent them. those first three seasons were without a doubt some of the finest TV ever broadcast.

the cigarette in the cathedral - that episode was entitled 'two cathedrals' - was really extraordinary. heck, it's hard to single out any episodes from the first couple of seasons that *weren't* extraordinary.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

This hasn't been my favorite season, but I love the show and still tune in for every new episode. I am hoping that once a candidate is "elected" we will get back to some of the great type of stuff from seasons past.

John Spencer's character has always been one of my favorites and I remember crying when his charcter had his heart attack. It was easily as emotional, if not more so, then the loss of Mrs. Laningham, Josh being shot and when Donna got blown up in the Middle East.

I feel sorry for the actor that will be cast to fill his space. What big shoes to follow.
Sandi

Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I treated myself to a boxed set of seasons 1-6 for christmas 42 discs!!!!

it shows that although good seasons 4 onwards are nowhere near 1-3 in quality.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, this coming Sunday will be the show's final episode...with Matt Santos being sworn in as President. The show has been cancelled, a decision made before Spencer died.

It was interesting how they handled the death of Spencer..having McGarry die on election night. I wonder if they will have Santos choose his VP before the episode ends?

I was rather hoping Vinnick would win, but I figured it would be Santos.

You are all right, the show went down the tubs a bit, and I am rather glad it was cancelled, would not have been the same with someone different in the olval office,.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: I've never seen West Wing, but I remember him well from LA Law. That's really terrible news.:-1

Check it out, in my opinion its the very best show on tv.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General TV Shows”