Ireland Is Lost Island Of Atlantis, Says Scientist

Discuss topics ranging from UFO's to Unexplained Phenomena.
CVX

Post by CVX »

DUBLIN (Reuters) -- Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland."

Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge floodwave around 6,100 BC.

"I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis," he said.

Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis' temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which pre-date the pyramids.

His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.

Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores islands 900 miles west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean sea. Others locate it solely in the long-decayed brain of Plato.

Copyright © 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.

http://news.reuters.com/newsArticle.jht ... ID=5899085
illuminati

Post by illuminati »

Atlantis. A neat possibility.

My issue with this whole Atlantis subject is like getting two economists to agree on a forecast.

There are hundreds of published papers from "scientists" who claim they may know where Atlantis was. Funny thing is, the potential locations span the globe. I even read a report that Atlantis was at Antartica before the pole-shift happened.

But nevertheless, Plato sure has piqued my curiosity.
xlt66

Post by xlt66 »

illuminati wrote: Atlantis. A neat possibility.

My issue with this whole Atlantis subject is like getting two economists to agree on a forecast.

There are hundreds of published papers from "scientists" who claim they may know where Atlantis was. Funny thing is, the potential locations span the globe. I even read a report that Atlantis was at Antartica before the pole-shift happened.

But nevertheless, Plato sure has piqued my curiosity.

It would be my bet that Atlantis would be in the same geographical region as Plato. i.e.: The Mediterranean Area. The last Atlantis theory that made sense to me was that it was at a location on the ocean floor in the Levantine region of the Eastern Mediterranean, near the island of Cyprus.

The guy who discovered the site also claimes that it matches Plato’s account of Atlantis.
illuminati

Post by illuminati »

Okay. I found the website. If you want to read something interesting (or wacky, depending on how you view these things), check out this website:

http://www.apollonius.net/atlantis.html
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Warsai wrote: I thought I read somewhere that Atlantis was as big as Asia Minor and Europe combined. :confused:

Warsai, that rings a bell. Do you have anymore information on this?

If that is the case, then you really wonder what happened to Atlantis. But then again, the name Atlantis really does imply it is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean?

Hmmmm.... :cool:
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

masaw wrote: Ireland is the lost civilization of Alantis? Darn! I had my money on the "Cuba is Alantis theory".

Me too. Makes my head spin.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

I don't believe that. I do believe it is near and around Greek islands. Only an Irish American would come up with that (Ireland Is The Lost Atlantis) idea. He must have seen the fairies too. :eek: :eek:
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

masaw wrote: Ireland is the lost civilization of Alantis? Darn! I had my money on the "Cuba is Alantis theory". Ireland of the lost period :driving:

Return to “Paranormal Science”