Bone Marrow

Peg

Bone Marrow

Post by Peg »

Don't know if this is in the right section and honestly I don't care. Does anyone know anything about bone marrow transplants? Is it painful to get tested to see if you're a match? What is the criteria? Is there health problems that can keep you from becoming a donor? How healthy does the person getting the bone marrow have to be? Sorry for all the questions but a friend is in the hospital. Don't know what all is wrong for sure but his liver enzymes are all out of whack, he has a clot in his aorta, they also suspect lukemia and lupis. I'm willing to do what I can.
orangesox1

Bone Marrow

Post by orangesox1 »

Thats really good of you Peg, I don't know anything about it but I hope everything works out ok for you.

Let us know how you go with it all.
devist8me

Bone Marrow

Post by devist8me »

I googled it and it came back with over a million hits. I would have posted one but they seemed to all have good info. I would try that....and good luck.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Valerie100

Bone Marrow

Post by Valerie100 »

I'm sure it is going to be painful. Your friend will be drugged, but if they're taking something out of his bones to test a sample, that's got to be painful. All anyone can do is pray and offer him comfort. I'm glad he has a good friend in you. It's got to be horrible to go through something like that. I'll pray for him.
robinseggs

Bone Marrow

Post by robinseggs »

Peg, here is a link that was full of info...

http://www.neutropenia.ca/research/facts.html

I am on the National Marrow Donor Program Registry list myself. Some years back, there was a news story about donating and I was touched by the personal story. I looked into donating bone marrow. At the time I was told that it was very painful and that you had to lay very still on your side while a long needle went into your hip to collect marrow. I have heard from other accounts that it is not painful, so not really sure? The process may have changed...making it easier and less painful than in past. I do know that once I registered, I am on the donor list for life and when at any time a computer finds me to be a match for someone in need, I will get a phone call and will need to drop everything and go. As far as going to see if you are a match for your friend, contact your friend's doctor and go from there. A simple blood test drawn from your arm will determine if you are a match. If you are, consider it a miracle, for the chance is unlikely. I wish your friend the best and hope everything turns out OK. Here is the link for the program I am registered with.....

http://www.marrow.org
Nature laughs Last
abbey

Bone Marrow

Post by abbey »

Bless you Peg, what a good friend you are. :-4
valerie

Bone Marrow

Post by valerie »

Robins and Far have got it about right.

Simple blood test, needle stick and then if you can actually donate,

it is more painful although medical staff usually like to say "discomfort"

now THERE'S a word! Nothing that you can't handle.

As far as the health things that would prevent you being a donor,

a lot of them are like being a blood donor (shots for travel, things

like that) but they will take a full history beforehand and if you are

considered a normally healthy person of good weight you can donate

if you're a match.

Remember, even if you aren't a match for your friend, if you go on

a donor list you might someday be for another deserving person!

Hugs to you.

:-4
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Peg

Bone Marrow

Post by Peg »

Well, the test results are in and I just can't handle the news. I no longer have to worry about the bone marrow transplant. It's too far along. As hard as it is for me to handle, I just can't imagine the hell his family is going through right now.:-1
kitty

Bone Marrow

Post by kitty »

I'm so sorry to hear that things are too far along for a bone marrow transplant to be considered.

If anyone else is interested then this site is very good for info on this matter.

http://www.anthonynolan.org.uk/
robinseggs

Bone Marrow

Post by robinseggs »

Peg I am so sorry. Still have faith though. This was also the case of a close family friend of ours and he beat all odds. There was some experimental drug coming out that the FDA was only releasing to certain hospitals/doctors/patients and our friend fit the requirements. Where at first he was told he had 6 months to live, this drug helped cure him. Don't give up hope. There could always be an unexpected door to open.
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”