British entertainment, Radio and TV

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
magentaflame

British entertainment, Radio and TV

Post by magentaflame »

Hi! me little mateys

I would like to pick your brains as much as I can.
I'm in bed with Flu at the moment and I've been watching the last of the available series of "Still Game". I can't get anymore available episodes of series 8.

Let me go back a bit first I'm getting ahead of myself.....

This year has been pretty rough and I've not been sleeping very well. I'd given up watching commercial TV and only watch you tube. This is where I found radio serials. Now I can't get enough of them. I found I fell asleep to the radio serials with a smile on my face.

I will mention a few I've been listening to and watching......but I need more. So if any of you have any suggestions I would really like to check them out.

Everything I could lay my hands on of the 'Archers' pre 1980's. There's not much around of them.
Every single episode of 8 out of 10 does countdown.
Big fat quiz of the year...going way back.
Every episode of Would I lie to you.
Still going through Sorry I'll read that again.
Still going through Just a minute.
Finished all episodes of The navy lark.
And now up to date with Sorry I haven't a clue.....funniest piece of radio I've ever heard. AND they made me swear really loudly on a train to Melbourne. For two months I'd been trying to figure out the rules to 'Mornington Crescent'. I finally gave up and looked up the rules...........BARSTARDS! Yes I even understand the Helsinki rules!

So anyway ...if anyone knows any other BBC serials or choice Tv shows ...Comedy shows, I'd really love to hear of them.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Re: British entertainment, Radio and TV

Post by spot »

I'm off to get a blood test, I'll think of it while they're draining my arm. Get well soon.

Round the Horne, (that's H o r n e, most fonts merge the r and n into one m). I believe it gave rise to several shifts in public opinion as well as being top notch entertainment. Kenneth Horne was the most unlikely comedian of all time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Does someone want to check Spot is still alive, he didn't get back to the thread after giving his blood for tests.

Some great shows there, for future reference, tonights Would I lie to you had me in stitches, it was very funny. I can never decide if I like Lee Mack or the one with the beard best. Both very funny.

I will have a think after I've caught up on 'The Traitors'

Hope you feel better soon, perfect reason for binge watching a few shows.
spot

Post by spot »

There's comedy which is making jokes, and there's comedy which is observational about what people are like if you expand the canvas. If you get away from jokes, the best Radio 4 ever achieved was Andy Hamilton writing and performing in Old Harry's Game, of which there are 46 episodes. It has a major part for Robert Duncan, perhaps more famous for starring in Hamilton's "Drop the Dead Donkey" (65 episodes), which if you can find it is well worth watching.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Thanks Betty I am feeling a lot better now. (Though my nose has felt better days, even with the Aloe Vera tissues.) I love both David Mitchell and Lee Mac. I've noticed both have been sporting beards recently. Our normal TV stations only show the episodes that are years old. So I've seen them all thanks to Youtube. I did get the Christmas one, but it's a long wait for the new episodes. These days you can't get the full episodes on Youtube because they split all the episodes up into small bite size bits. Very frustrating. Australia tried their own version of the show but it got axed because you can't copy the original that everyone knows about already. It fell a bit flat.

Spot:
Round the Horne is hilarious. I'll check "Old Harrys' game" out.
I too went for a blood test the other day. Knees are acting up, may have a touch of the old Arthur me thinks.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

"Have I got news for you".... Embarrassingly that's where I get my British political news from. You guys have had a very worrying experience with your leaders.

Return to “General Chit Chat”