Black cottonwood bonsai tricks?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
zanabid

Black cottonwood bonsai tricks?

Post by zanabid »

Hello.
I am from <Link removed by moderator> Indonesia and I want to ask a question.

I dug up a wild Populus trichocarpa growing on the outside edge of a very rocky and dry logging road at about 3,000 foot elevation in August. I nursed it into a ceramic pot and it looks like it will make it. I've no idea how old it is. The site it grew on was very severe. See photo attached.

My question is, can this tree be trained like a conventional bonsai? Will its lateral buds respond if/when I nip off a leading bud? Is there a trick in pruning its root system?

I'd like to give it a shot, but don't see many hits when doing a search on cottonwood and bonsai - so could use your advice, please.
clareqinty89

Re: Black cottonwood bonsai tricks?

Post by clareqinty89 »

It's amazing how resilient these trees can be, especially considering the harsh conditions it endured before finding its new home in your ceramic pot. Your dedication to nursing it back to health is admirable. As for tricks and tips, well, I'm no expert, but I've found that patience and observation are key when it comes to bonsai care.
clareqinty89

Re: Black cottonwood bonsai tricks?

Post by clareqinty89 »

clareqinty89 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:59 pm It's amazing how resilient these trees can be, especially considering the harsh conditions it endured before finding its new home in your ceramic pot. Your dedication to nursing it back to health is admirable. As for tricks and tips, well, I'm no expert, but I've found that patience and observation are key when it comes to bonsai care.
You can also check out https://www.mklibrary.com/camphor-tree/, there is a lot of useful information there.Since your tree has had a rough start, it might take some time for it to fully recover and adapt to its new environment. Keep an eye on its growth patterns, water it regularly (but don't overdo it!), and maybe consider adding some organic fertilizer to give it a little boost.

Return to “Gardening Forum”