Hydrangea questions

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
zanabid

Hydrangea questions

Post by zanabid »

I live in northern NJ in zone 7a where summers get like 85-90 degrees average. In this case, how many hours of sun will Hydrangea macrophyllas do well on? I looked it up and it said that in the south they bloom well with only 3 hours of sun but idk how "south" NJ is considered. Its technically central but the summers get real hot so just wondering.

Also do they HAVE to be planted near some foundation/fence? Or can they be planted in the middle of nowhere and do fine? All my other plants are already against my house and there is no more space for hydrangeas to be planted near a foundation.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Hydrangea questions

Post by Bryn Mawr »

zanabid wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:09 am I live in northern NJ in zone 7a where summers get like 85-90 degrees average. In this case, how many hours of sun will Hydrangea macrophyllas do well on? I looked it up and it said that in the south they bloom well with only 3 hours of sun but idk how "south" NJ is considered. Its technically central but the summers get real hot so just wondering.

Also do they HAVE to be planted near some foundation/fence? Or can they be planted in the middle of nowhere and do fine? All my other plants are already against my house and there is no more space for hydrangeas to be planted near a foundation.
I’m not familiar with growing conditions in the USA but :-

https://www.gardenista.com/garden-desig ... ydrangeas/

Certainly appears to suggest that hydrangeas often grow in the middle of nowhere and are happy in zones 2-9.
LarsMac

Re: Hydrangea questions

Post by LarsMac »

I've seen them growing in the southern coastal region of Maine, as far north as Boothbay and Damariscotta. And we've seen people growing them in Saratoga Springs, NY.

I asked a friend in Maine, and she referred me to this: https://thekitchenknowhow.com/do-hydran ... -in-maine/
It probably applies to your region, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Gardening Forum”