Voting for the New Speaker

Discuss the latest political news.
Bryn Mawr

Voting for the New Speaker

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A quote from the BBC :-
The Democrats will nominate Hakeem Jeffries but as they are the minority party in the House, he has zero chance of getting the job.
Maybe he has a zero chance but it would be wonderful if, knowing that they have zero chance of getting their selection (whoever he is) in, the dissident republicans voted for Jeffries in order to keep Scalise out.

I realise that the post carries too much influence for this to happen but it would certainly put the cat amongst the pidgins.
LarsMac

Re: Voting for the New Speaker

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:03 am A quote from the BBC :-
The Democrats will nominate Hakeem Jeffries but as they are the minority party in the House, he has zero chance of getting the job.
Maybe he has a zero chance but it would be wonderful if, knowing that they have zero chance of getting their selection (whoever he is) in, the dissident republicans voted for Jeffries in order to keep Scalise out.

I realise that the post carries too much influence for this to happen but it would certainly put the cat amongst the pidgins.
I, personally, like the idea. It certainly would be interesting to see, but the Republicans don't seem to be in the mood to cooperate with anybody, including themselves, these days.

The fright Wing loonies in the Republican party are going to make it difficult to actually get any reasonable person in the position. We may not see a fully functional Congress until after next year's election.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Representative Scalise appears to have abandoned the field as Thursday evaporated around him. I presume this simplifies matters and that he can't simply change his mind in a couple of weeks.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:43 pm

I, personally, like the idea. It certainly would be interesting to see, but the Republicans don't seem to be in the mood to cooperate with anybody, including themselves, these days.

The fright Wing loonies in the Republican party are going to make it difficult to actually get any reasonable person in the position. We may not see a fully functional Congress until after next year's election.
Seriously? The damage that would cause to the US would be enormous!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:06 am

THAT seems to be their goal.
The Republicans seem to be dedicated to the cause of crippling the country until Trump gets reelected.
There is simply no other explanation that seems to fit.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:21 pm

The Republicans seem to be dedicated to the cause of crippling the country until Trump gets reelected.
But that is fifteen months away, the country cannot survive being frozen for that long.

Only another month until federal shutdown and then what?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:06 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:21 pm

But that is fifteen months away, the country cannot survive being frozen for that long.

Only another month until federal shutdown and then what?
I fear that we are about to find out. Though the scuttlebutt is that Louisiana Rep Steve Scalise may have enough support to get the chair. He seems to be a somewhat reasonable fellow (For a Republican, these days)
Though, to actually accomplish anything this year, there will need to be some bipartisan voting to keep the radical witless dolts off their game.
If the Dems were smart, they would organize a way to cooperate with the more moderate Republicans to actually get some useful legislation past the "Loony-tic Fringe"
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm
I fear that we are about to find out. Though the scuttlebutt is that Louisiana Rep Steve Scalise may have enough support to get the chair. He seems to be a somewhat reasonable fellow (For a Republican, these days)
Though, to actually accomplish anything this year, there will need to be some bipartisan voting to keep the radical witless dolts off their game.
If the Dems were smart, they would organize a way to cooperate with the more moderate Republicans to actually get some useful legislation past the "Loony-tic Fringe"
I thought Scalise had retired hurt when he couldn’t get enough support?

If the dems decide that they can work with one of the candidates (like Scalise) then why are they refusing to negotiate some concessions to help out?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The Dems are just sitting on the sidelines, since they can't really drive anything in the process.
Jim Jordan is now the "Go to Guy."
He offer nothing really useful. His reputation is simply a troublemaker for the reasonable crowd.

The word is that he was trying to convince VP Pence to toss the actual ballot results and insert the Pro-trump fake ballots on January 6 2021.

I'm beginning to think that not getting a new Speaker this year would actually be a good thing.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:24 am The Dems are just sitting on the sidelines, since they can't really drive anything in the process.
Jim Jordan is now the "Go to Guy."
He offer nothing really useful. His reputation is simply a troublemaker for the reasonable crowd.

The word is that he was trying to convince VP Pence to toss the actual ballot results and insert the Pro-trump fake ballots on January 6 2021.

I'm beginning to think that not getting a new Speaker this year would actually be a good thing.
Fewer votes than McCarthy did in his first round and fewer even than Jeffries does not look promising.
spot

Post by spot »

I may be misremembering from years ago but did we not decide at one point that the Speaker of the House didn't necessarily have to be a member? Might we not think that the House Republicans would unanimously vote President Trump into the office of Speaker if asked?

Problem solved. Or my memory is astray again.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, they are fast running out of options.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2 ... n-mccarthy

The latest appears to be a no-Go.
I do not think that any of them with any sense of self preservation are seriously considering the Trump option.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:31 pm Well, they are fast running out of options.

I do not think that any of them with any sense of self preservation are seriously considering the Trump option.
Death threats?

Really?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:33 am
LarsMac wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:31 pm Well, they are fast running out of options.

Death threats?

Really?
Apparently so. The claims are from people who switched from voting for Jordan, to somebody else. Though, these are all Republicans, and they, lately, have been playing the Melodrama for all it's worth. So, ...

I would like to see all this over with, but Jordan was one of the Trump Flagbearers during the Jan 6 fiasco, so the idea of him even holding a seat in Congress seems repugnant to me. To allow him to take the Chair borders on out and out treason.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Election denier, climate skeptic and anti-abortion: meet the new US House speaker Mike Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... i-abortion

I'm not sure he can push his advocacy for these odd notions he espouses, but perhaps his position as Speaker differs from the Westminster model.

Return to “Current Political Events”