My Mum, your Dad

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Betty Boop

My Mum, your Dad

Post by Betty Boop »

Annoyingly addictive, Love Island meets Big Brother for over 50's dating show :shock:

It's amusing watching the kids squirm as the parents flirt, like they think they invented love and intimacy! Wonder who will last or who will be a damp squib.

The 80's soundtrack being played throughout is brilliant too, well done ITV.
spot

Re: My Mum, your Dad

Post by spot »

This is a new variation on car-crash TV? Presumably it is the one combination that won't have a celebrity version.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:07 pm Annoyingly addictive, Love Island meets Big Brother for over 50's dating show :shock:

It's amusing watching the kids squirm as the parents flirt, like they think they invented love and intimacy! Wonder who will last or who will be a damp squib.

I wasn’t going to watch but I’ve been drawn in. Are the two newest contestants “plants”?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:10 am Are the two newest contestants “plants”?
If one is called Basil and the other is Rose, that might be a clue?

Do they really snog in furtive corners after the lights are out and hold hands by the swimming pool, or have I got the wrong idea?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:10 am
Betty Boop wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:07 pm Annoyingly addictive, Love Island meets Big Brother for over 50's dating show :shock:

I wasn’t going to watch but I’ve been drawn in. Are the two newest contestants “plants”?
Plants? Why do you think they might be?

They are both a bit more full on, mostly him, he'll certainly raise the interests of the ones wanting money and a particular lifestyle. I don't like him much.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:04 am
theia wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:10 am Are the two newest contestants “plants”?
If one is called Basil and the other is Rose, that might be a clue?

Do they really snog in furtive corners after the lights are out and hold hands by the swimming pool, or have I got the wrong idea?
You've got the wrong idea I think. They go on dates, like adults do. The best bit is watching their offspring cringe and squirm at their parents attempts at flirting and getting closer to someone.
Funny old world we live in where children can't cope with parents being in relationships. Surely its up to the parent to be displaying to the children what a healthy relationship looks like. God forbid that should include flirting, snogging or even s e x.

Although, given time I guess anything could happen regarding the furtive snogging with the wrong person, I hope the maturity of the guests prevents them from being so shallow, only time will tell.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:51 am

They are both a bit more full on, mostly him, he'll certainly raise the interests of the ones wanting money and a particular lifestyle. I don't like him much.
Well, they stirred the pot somewhat and entered the house at just the right time. But, that said, they’re all plants in a way, aren’t they? Chosen by the programme, edited by the programme. Not much happens spontaneously.

I’m still enjoying it though.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:07 am
Betty Boop wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:51 am

Well, they stirred the pot somewhat and entered the house at just the right time. But, that said, they’re all plants in a way, aren’t they? Chosen by the programme, edited by the programme. Not much happens spontaneously.

I’m still enjoying it though.
I think Big Brother is still the best format, knowing how much Love Island can be staged, I have been watching this wondering which bits are staged for the camera.

For a start, this whole apparent revelation that the children who drove their parent to the venue, are then surprised to be told they are going to be sat watching their parent on multiple screens in another house and become the relationship 'expert'. Seriously? a surprise? no way, they have lives, studies, jobs, partners etc etc that would have had to have been organised before they could just suddenly be told 'no, you don't get to go back home, your surprise is you are staying here to observe and control.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

:o :shock: :o Chocolate finger :o :shock: :o

My word the children are squirming tonight
spot

Post by spot »

I'm definitely not going to google that then.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

It was an intimacy session and involved feathers, leather things, grapes, ice and eye gazing. Oh and chocolate fingers.

This was the whole group, not couples in private :lol: all their toes were curling, and their children were hiding behind cushions.
spot

Post by spot »

The Victorians, IMO, were a great deal more sensible. But then, they didn't have TVs everywhere.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

and Martin M, what a prat! He seems to want his cake and eat it. You are a grown man and just need to be honest, you must know who you are more drawn to!

I'm yet to be convinced this isn't scripted and guided by the producers.

The intimacy workshop thing was very sexually orientated. Makes great telly, for some, but it's not about deep intimacy, it's highlighting lust and not promoting a deeper connection. You can go on dating sites for that.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:57 am and Martin M, what a prat! He seems to want his cake and eat it. You are a grown man and just need to be honest, you must know who you are more drawn to!

I'm yet to be convinced this isn't scripted and guided by the producers.

The intimacy workshop thing was very sexually orientated. Makes great telly, for some, but it's not about deep intimacy, it's highlighting lust and not promoting a deeper connection. You can go on dating sites for that.
He has to be a plant, lol!

I agree that the intimacy workshop could have been presented in a completely different way. It could have concentrated on closeness and connection, not as a means of titillation for the audience, as it seemed to be. Great shame.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Well that wasn't such a good episode, the so called experts send Tallulah off with Martin H on a date, when everyone knows Tallulah likes Martin M, who can't decide between Tallulah and Monique :roll:

Seriously! I was really uncomfortable watching them on their date, he soooo likes her and is trying so hard, he's such a gentle chap but he's being used. Tallulah has grabbed the opportunity to work out whether Martin M is going to be jealous. So she makes sure Martin H gets a big hug and a kiss, so cruel and such a shit show. I am really annoyed, I was almost persuaded by her little speech to him, but no, she's not interested in him at all. Bloody cruel to be messing about with people's feelings like this. Martin M is back at the house talking to Monique, I am glad she's got the measure of him and is doubtful of his flip-flopping about. Don't mess people around, just be honest, what is so hard about that, playing games in your fifties is not attractive at all. Man up.

Prior to that I had been thinking it odd that they haven't been in there that long but people are being sent home and no one else is going in!

Seriously, what is the point?

Lovely Caroline went home, I hope she finds someone worthy of her, she is lovely.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Think I predicted the outcome, Tallulah sacks off the nice guy, heads for the other one who has decided he's going to try out Monique instead. The happy couple then decide to have a snog in the kitchen right under Talullah's nose. You couldn't make this up. They are acting like 15 year olds.

Great idea to start out with ITV but my god you made a right mess of it. Maybe like Married at First Sight you should have had actual relationship experts who would pull people up for their appalling behaviour.

Such a shame as the other couples, who are more interesting, have had bugger all air time whilst the pathetic triangle nonsense was bandied about.

I could write a better format for the show.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Still not finished all the UK episodes yet as the My Mum, your Dad - Australia version caught my attention! Much more interesting that the uk.

Their intimacy workshop part was interesting as instantly up piped one bloke equating intimacy to sex, you could see all the women one by one turn their noses up at him :D Brilliant, what a shame a grown man has reached that age and is still thinking like a teenager :o

Anyhow, there's a thing nowadays where people ask you what your love language is, here's the questionnaires, wonder how right they are ?

https://5lovelanguages.com/quizzes/love-language
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Screenshot 2023-09-25 225455.png
Screenshot 2023-09-25 225455.png (102.23 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

Return to “General TV Shows”