Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
cars

Re: Covid-19 is spiking . . . .

Post by cars »

No vaccine yet, but it's been said maybe in December or January one may become available. Then comes the task of distributing it, for those who want it!

In the mean time, it has been said for those who have been infected, that "methods" have improved for the treating of infected patients have now been learned.

Such as a new process of supplying oxygen somehow, instead of where a nasty "ventilator" would have been required!
Cars :)
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 am No vaccine yet, but it's been said maybe in December or January one may become available. Then comes the task of distributing it, for those who want it!

In the mean time, it has been said for those who have been infected, that "methods" have improved for the treating of infected patients have now been learned.

Such as a new process of supplying oxygen somehow, instead of where a nasty "ventilator" would have been required!
That could well be the positive pressure delivery system developed by the Mercedes F1 team.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

cars wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 am No vaccine yet, but it's been said maybe in December or January one may become available. Then comes the task of distributing it, for those who want it!

We are trialing 200 people now . Mostly health workers
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:24 pm We are trialing 200 people now . Mostly health workers
The UK has a couple running, one in London and the other in Oxford. It will be at least three months before they scale up to 6,000 volunteers from their initial test.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 pm
magentaflame wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:24 pm We are trialing 200 people now . Mostly health workers
The UK has a couple running, one in London and the other in Oxford. It will be at least three months before they scale up to 6,000 volunteers from their initial test.
Australian International borders won't be opened again until a vaccine is successful. So I reckon it won't be until next year.
And now this. We've taken a leaf out of China's book.

"Victoria has recorded 33 new coronavirus infections overnight, as the Premier announced a "suburban testing blitz" targeting 10 suburbs across Melbourne.

Of the new cases seven were detected in hotel quarantine, nine were linked to known outbreaks and 11 were under investigation."
UPDATED:
Entire Shires have gone into lockdown, to many suburbs to mention and they've brought the Army in to door knock and politely ask residents to go to the end of their streets to Ambulances that will be mobile testing stations. the original list was only a couple of suburbs but now it's an entire page of them. and now interstate people are being told not to interact with people from Melbourne . Hopefully they'll get on top of this.

Now hearing that Brits flocked to the beach is mind boggling. Havent you guys got the fines of over $1000 for disobeying restrictions?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm
spot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:35 pm
Australian International borders won't be opened again until a vaccine is successful. So I reckon it won't be until next year.
And now this. We've taken a leaf out of China's book.

"Victoria has recorded 33 new coronavirus infections overnight, as the Premier announced a "suburban testing blitz" targeting 10 suburbs across Melbourne.

Of the new cases seven were detected in hotel quarantine, nine were linked to known outbreaks and 11 were under investigation."
UPDATED:
Entire Shires have gone into lockdown, to many suburbs to mention and they've brought the Army in to door knock and politely ask residents to go to the end of their streets to Ambulances that will be mobile testing stations. the original list was only a couple of suburbs but now it's an entire page of them. and now interstate people are being told not to interact with people from Melbourne . Hopefully they'll get on top of this.

Now hearing that Brits flocked to the beach is mind boggling. Havent you guys got the fines of over $1000 for disobeying restrictions?
Nope, the government are cutting restrictions with indecent haste.
spot

Post by spot »

It is actually quite simple to stop these morons from ever wanting to drive to the beach again. The police just need to block a few approach roads early in the morning and let the idiots sit in their steamed-up sunbaked cars until nightfall. A ten mile tailback and nobody allowed to drive out the way they drove in will sort it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It's not that simple. This is from April .
The number of fines issued by Victoria Police in the 24 hours leading up until 8am on Monday was 108.

That number reached 307 by the afternoon.

Since March 21, officers have conducted a total of 14,275 spot checks at homes, businesses and non-essential services.

There were 983 checks performed on Sunday alone.

A police spokesperson said they were unable to provide any background or breakdowns of data due to the high number of fines and spot checks.

As for the L-plater who copped a hefty fine for being on the road in Melbourne’s south-east with her mother, Victoria Police confirmed with The New Daily that Assistant Commissioner Bob Hill will review the matter to find out “whether discretion could have been used in this instance”.

From Thursday, 200 public service officers will be spread across Melbourne CBD, as well as commercial hubs and suburban areas across greater Melbourne and the regions, including Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nationa ... wn-police/

.....And then the protests happened. There was a call that it was unfair to fine some but not others. Nothing in this virus shamozzle makes much sense.

They will also continue to patrol the 83 train stations across Victoria, despite lower passenger numbers.
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:29 pm It's not that simple. This is from April .
The number of fines issued by Victoria Police in the 24 hours leading up until 8am on Monday was 108.

That number reached 307 by the afternoon.

Since March 21, officers have conducted a total of 14,275 spot checks at homes, businesses and non-essential services.

There were 983 checks performed on Sunday alone.

A police spokesperson said they were unable to provide any background or breakdowns of data due to the high number of fines and spot checks.

As for the L-plater who copped a hefty fine for being on the road in Melbourne’s south-east with her mother, Victoria Police confirmed with The New Daily that Assistant Commissioner Bob Hill will review the matter to find out “whether discretion could have been used in this instance”.

From Thursday, 200 public service officers will be spread across Melbourne CBD, as well as commercial hubs and suburban areas across greater Melbourne and the regions, including Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nationa ... wn-police/

Code: Select all

[code][b][color=#BF0000]
.....And then the protests happened. [/color][/b]
[/code]There was a call that it was unfair to fine some but not others. Nothing in this virus shamozzle makes much sense.

They will also continue to patrol the 83 train stations across Victoria, despite lower passenger numbers.
Here in the USA the thousands upon thousands of "Protestors" that were shown "not wearing masks", and certainly not social distancing are now coming down with the virus.

In Fl there were almost "9,000" cases yesterday, and no mention in the news of any of the new cases occurring due to the protesters careless actions! Absurd!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:24 am

Here in the USA the thousands upon thousands of "Protestors" that were shown "not wearing masks", and certainly not social distancing are now coming down with the virus.

In Fl there were almost "9,000" cases yesterday, and no mention in the news of any of the new cases occurring due to the protesters careless actions! Absurd!
from one news article in FL,

Research indicates large protests are not responsible for the current COVID-19 spike in Florida, or in other states experiencing a surge in new cases.
Florida has ramped up contact tracing to figure out where people who tested positive have been spending their time. The state’s health experts are finding a pattern that leads not to outdoor protests, but to indoor establishments where young adults socialize and drink.
The state says the Knights Pub in the Orlando area is one example. State agents say it violated social distancing orders. More than 40 customers and staff tested positive before the state suspended its alcohol license.
Meanwhile, national research also found no evidence the cases and infection rates jumped due to the protests. In parts of the country that saw some of the largest protests, per-capita cases and infection rates have declined.

And that't from FOX News. I would expect them to try and blame it on the protests.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:41 am

Research indicates large protests are not responsible for the current COVID-19 spike in Florida, or in other states experiencing a surge in new cases.
Florida has ramped up contact tracing to figure out where people who tested positive have been spending their time. The state’s health experts are finding a pattern that leads not to outdoor protests, but to indoor establishments where young adults socialize and drink.
The state says the Knights Pub in the Orlando area is one example. State agents say it violated social distancing orders. More than 40 customers and staff tested positive before the state suspended its alcohol license.
Meanwhile, national research also found no evidence the cases and infection rates jumped due to the protests. In parts of the country that saw some of the largest protests, per-capita cases and infection rates have declined.

And that't from FOX News. I would expect them to try and blame it on the protests.
I've come to learn "they" don't always announce the real truth about the virus, as they want to keep the economy going, so they will not hinder that with the truth! Even if it kills people.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It was proved that nobody got the virus from our protests. The protests organisers implored people to keep to the social distancing rule and mostly they did .
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 am

I've come to learn "they" don't always announce the real truth about the virus, as they want to keep the economy going, so they will not hinder that with the truth! Even if it kills people.
I have yet to find out who "They" are. I pretty much listen to the local news, and check in on the AP and Reuters news wire every few days.
I ignore the "Mainstream Media" outlets. I never feel the need of a bunch of talking heads trying to "help me understand the News"
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The only Talking Heads :that I have any use for
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 am

I have yet to find out who "they" are. I pretty much listen to the local news, and check in on the AP and Reuters news wire every few days.
I ignore the "Mainstream Media" outlets. I never feel the need of a bunch of talking heads trying to "help me understand the News"
State Governors, Mayors, Whitehouse, for starters.
spot

Post by spot »

May I make a couple of observations?

First, every discussion of this pandemic in the future, once it's been and gone, will use "deaths" as the thing being counted, not "cases". I've not seen any media graphs labelled deaths. Always cases. It's a bit of a fracture.

Second, for some reason there was a spike of 2,341 extra deaths in one day in the Johns Hopkins death data for the US three days ago but I've not seen an explanation for where the statisticians discovered an uncounted stack of bodies. Does anyone know?

The cumulative totals went 119979,120402,121231,121985,124410,125039,125539
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 am
LarsMac wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 am

I have yet to find out who "they" are. I pretty much listen to the local news, and check in on the AP and Reuters news wire every few days.
State Governors, Mayors, Whitehouse, for starters.
Well, OUR governor and most of the mayors around here are doing a great job.
Listening to ANYBODY from the White House, these days is a waste of time. Fauci is the last bastion of sanity, there.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Here, for reference, is where things stand in the US at the end of June. If every hotspot is beaten down then it will keep dropping. There's an election at stake but I can't guess whether up or down would favor one result over the other, which is really strange.

If anyone would like to include deaths from terrorism, or deaths from illegally imported narcotics, or any other "war on" statistics, it's simple. Take a thin pencil and skim it along the x axis.
cars

Post by cars »

Curious, is anyone still doing "shelter in place"?

Or are you going about you business as best as you can?
spot

Post by spot »

I'm sheltered in place, definitely. Except I went to Bristol at the weekend, but I decided that was a safe call.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 pm Curious, is anyone still doing "shelter in place"?

Or are you going about you business as best as you can?
In theory we are, in practice I’ll go to the local shop if we run out of necessaries between the kid’s supply runs.
spot

Post by spot »

Patsy will be. We've not seen her post for a few days but she's still around.
spot

Post by spot »

This is today's Washington Post, and it seems to suggest that the over-50s tend to be staying out of circulation more than younger people since the lockdowns eased. Getting the bottle recorked isn't going to happen either, by the sound of things.
While the virus is most dangerous to the elderly, it can be devastating to younger victims as well, health professionals said. Younger patients are a widening percentage of total coronavirus hospitalizations, with those in the 18-to-49 age group growing from about 27 percent of hospitalizations the week ending March 7 to 35 percent this past week, CDC figures show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It's getting real again here. 30 suburbs of Melbourne are in lockdown again.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 pm It's getting real again here. 30 suburbs of Melbourne are in lockdown again.
I’m half a mile outside the local lockdown boundary but effectively the village will lock itself down so it doesn’t drag in the city folk.
spot

Post by spot »

If your shops are open they'll drive out.

Actually, what's stopping anyone in Leicester from driving out?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:55 pm If your shops are open they'll drive out.

Absolutely nothing and the closest pubs will be inundated.
spot

Post by spot »

We've been waiting for news of this...
There is no longer any serious doubt that our bodies can form an immune memory to the SARS-CoV-2 virus – although we still don’t know how effective that memory will be. “That is the main outstanding question for covid-19,” says Nicolas Vabret at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York.

“It’s absolutely the right question to be asking now because so many things depend on it,” says Paul Klenerman at the University of Oxford. That includes the prospect of developing vaccines, therapies and herd immunity, but also decisions on whether to issue immunity passports to people who have recovered from the virus, and how and when to ease lockdown measures.

[...] In some other viral diseases, cross-reactive immunity can cause immune interference or what immunologists call “original antigenic sin”. This is where the immune system falls back on its immune memory and fails to mount a new response despite never having seen that actual pathogen before. This is one potential reason why the disease is worse in older people, he says, because they have been exposed to many cold viruses over their lives and their bodies may be more likely to fall back on a previous response. Again, more research is needed to fully understand this.

As for those initial reports of people being reinfected by the coronavirus, they now appear to have been false positives. “There is no confirmed example of reinfection,” says Vabret.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ys-so-far/
cars

Post by cars »

A viable vaccine will be our only salvation!

As too many people being people who think who thy are, just won't conform to practicing safety requirements that will save their lives! Thus infecting all around them! Stupid people!
spot

Post by spot »

cars wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 pm A viable vaccine will be our only salvation!

As too many people being people who think who thy are, just won't conform to practicing safety requirements that will save their lives! Thus infecting all around them! Stupid people!
In the UK at the moment, people under 35 are more likely to die in a traffic accident. A concern for the elderly might not carry much weight with some of them.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I now have heard from several family members around the country who have been diagnosed with the thing.
Most of them are young and healthy, and stand a good chance of coming through. Still it is a bit scary to be this close to it.

I am still waiting for the results from my test.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 pm I now have heard from several family members around the country who have been diagnosed with the thing.
Most of them are young and healthy, and stand a good chance of coming through. Still it is a bit scary to be this close to it.

I am still waiting for the results from my test.
Well we might need to be tested now, as even though we have been sheltering in place since March 11th, last Sunday my wife had to go to the "dreaded" hospital (where the covid-19 patients are)
for a medical problem.

She stayed overnight through all day Monday and was released Monday night. She was given 4 new meds, and when she woke this morning she had rashes all over her body.

We are hoping the rashes are do to her being allergic to one of the 4 new meds she got. She does "Not" have a fever, and the rashes are not itchy but it's scary as hell!

Unfortunately we do not have primary care doc here in FL, we were supposed to be back in NE mid may, but that didn't happen due to Covid-19! We're currently stuck here indefinitely.

We're looking to get a primary doc here, but many are not taking on new patients due to Covid-19.
spot

Post by spot »

That's a high priority problem to sort out then, I hope it clears up quickly. It sounds very uncomfortable.
cars

Post by cars »

Well we finally found a PCP, who looked at my wife's rashes and said it definitely was an allergic reaction to one of her new meds she was prescribed! That was a relief.

Our new PCP wrote a script for soothing cream. Hoping it works fast.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:55 pm If your shops are open they'll drive out.

Vicroads here have seen a dramatic rise in people changing the address on their driving license. Police are considering drones. Over ten thousand people in the area of lockdown have refused to be tested. Apparently one of the reasons being given is that the whole shamozzle is a conspiracy. I'm waiting for the word 'racist' to pop up at any time now because the suburbs do contain a high number of new Australians.

Then .....on top of all that It appears that one of the quarantine outbreaks from the hotels is from the guards being very naughty boys. Lets just say they didn't take social distancing seriously with the ladies. (not my company btw)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:34 pm Well we finally found a PCP, who looked at my wife's rashes and said it definitely was an allergic reaction to one of her new meds she was prescribed! That was a relief.

I am curious why you can't just pack up and head north?
I am sure that I am missing something.
- DH Lawrence
cars

Post by cars »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:34 am
cars wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:34 pm Well we finally found a PCP, who looked at my wife's rashes and said it definitely was an allergic reaction to one of her new meds she was prescribed! That was a relief.

It's called Covid-19, we were supposed to head back to NE mid May. But because of Covid-19 in early may when I called the airlines for direct flights to NE they were all sold out May through Mid June.

So I had a flight for June 25. But By mid June Covid -19 cases skyrocketed and kept soaring with every passing day. Therefore, I was not going to fly home in a flying petri dish. It's too far to drive.

Not to mention I'm in the "high risk" catagory with a auto immune deficiency, so if I was to be infected, I'm finished.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

cars wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:34 am

It's called Covid-19, we were supposed to head back to NE mid May. But because of Covid-19 in early may when I called the airlines for direct flights to NE they were all sold out May through Mid June.

So I had a flight for June 25. But By mid June Covid -19 cases skyrocketed and kept soaring with every passing day. Therefore, I was not going to fly home in a flying petri dish. It's too far to drive.

Not to mention I'm in the "high risk" catagory with a auto immune deficiency, so if I was to be infected, I'm finished.
I understand, now. Sorry that you face such a difficulty. Flying, these days is definitely NOT in my list of transportation choices.
I am in the "at risk" age group, but no real health issues that put me at particular risk, though the wife is definitely on that list. I have been very careful to avoid exposure.
Though we did travel to NE recently. (Daugher, son, and DiL and I) it was rough but doable. We used pay at the pump, and ate from Drive-thru the whole trip.
Drove back with rental truck and daughter's Pick up.

Flying was considered, but there is far too many unpredictable/uncontrollable factors with flying.

Be safe.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Four high rise buildings in Melbourne had one hours notice to lockdown after testing showed 30 in one block with covid. Poor things are all confined to their individual flats for the next four days. they're not even allowed to step outside their doors. If we're not careful we'll all be in lockdown again.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm Four high rise buildings in Melbourne had one hours notice to lockdown after testing showed 30 in one block with covid. Poor things are all confined to their individual flats for the next four days. they're not even allowed to step outside their doors. If we're not careful we'll all be in lockdown again.
Food? Medicine? Aged parents who have to be looked after?

One hour is not enough to make all arrangements.
cars

Post by cars »

That "vaccine" can't come soon enough!
cars

Post by cars »

Just watched the Governor of Florida on TV and he said things are not as bad as the statistical data indicates. He said that with a straight face!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am Just watched the Governor of Florida on TV and he said things are not as bad as the statistical data indicates. He said that with a straight face!
They’re right on top of the problem, got it licked :-

Daily New Cases in Florida
Novel
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

cars wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am Just watched the Governor of Florida on TV and he said things are not as bad as the statistical data indicates. He said that with a straight face!
They’re right on top of the problem, got it licked :-

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/state- ... es/florida
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

As from midnight tonight Victoria is cut off from the rest of the country.....not since the Spanish flu has this happened. All of the sudden we have a sky rocketing infection rate. It's not good people
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm As from midnight tonight Victoria is cut off from the rest of the country.....not since the Spanish flu has this happened. All of the sudden we have a sky rocketing infection rate. It's not good people
Then you look after yourself - close contact is NOT your friend!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
magentaflame wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:06 pm As from midnight tonight Victoria is cut off from the rest of the country.....not since the Spanish flu has this happened. All of the sudden we have a sky rocketing infection rate. It's not good people
The thing is people in regional Victoria are really pissed off because this is Melbourne centric thing. There are no covid cases where I am ...(one woman in east gippsland in hospital) So what happens? The outbreak happened two to three weeks ago ....it was like peak hour traiffic through Sale with caravans and holidayers at the beginning of the school holidays. To me? that's an arsehole thing to do. They should have put a bubble around Melbourne so the rest of the State could go about their business. They knew and kept coming.
We're still okay along with the rest of regional Vic but Melbournians are still travelling. Still being aresholes.

People are getting out of Victoria post haste.
I'll write more when I'm not so angry .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:33 pm
The thing is people in regional Victoria are really pissed off because this is Melbourne centric thing. There are no covid cases where I am ...(one woman in east gippsland in hospital) So what happens? The outbreak happened two to three weeks ago ....it was like peak hour traiffic through Sale with caravans and holidayers at the beginning of the school holidays. To me? that's an arsehole thing to do. They should have put a bubble around Melbourne so the rest of the State could go about their business. They knew and kept coming.
We're still okay along with the rest of regional Vic but Melbournians are still travelling. Still being aresholes.

Ah, I thought you’d moved from Gippsland closer into Melbourne.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Closer but still in Gippsland . Well they finally did it . As of Midnight tonight Melbourne is in a bubble. They are going back into lockdown and the rest of us can roam free but we can't leave the state.I'm so happy.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Closer but still in Gippsland . Well they finally did it . As of Midnight tonight Melbourne is in a bubble. They are going back into lockdown and the rest of us can roam free but we can't leave the state.I'm so happy.
Leicester is also in a bubble and it serves them right - far too many people totally ignored the rules with street parties and concerts and many of the textile factories (aka sweat shops) carried right on working.

Return to “General Chit Chat”