Armchair Travels

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

From the description: "A day in Venice (Venezia) in Italy, from daybreak to sunset in time lapse". Gorgeous!

Periodically I catch Rick Steves' travel program on PBS and his visit to Venice was my favorite last year. I don't know if it was his favorite but it was mine!

Since I post a lot of travel videos, I'm going to start putting them all under this one thread. It's sort of my own internet "armchair" venture!

jones jones

Armchair Travels

Post by jones jones »

I was fortunate enough to visit Venice and it's a favourite city of mine after the "big three" ... New York, London & Paris.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Armchair Travels

Post by Snooz »

That's the best thing I've experienced all week. Thanks for posting that (and I stole it to share on FB.)
Lady J

Armchair Travels

Post by Lady J »

Nice video but a little too fast. Made me feel like I was rushing...but Venice in a Day...guess I would need at least a week:o
fuzzywuzzy

Armchair Travels

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

jones jones;1441104 wrote: I was fortunate enough to visit Venice and it's a favourite city of mine after the "big three" ... New York, London & Paris.
Hey me to . :)
jones jones

Armchair Travels

Post by jones jones »

Lady J;1441164 wrote: Nice video but a little too fast. Made me feel like I was rushing...but Venice in a Day...guess I would need at least a week:o

Yo! Where ya bin lady? Too busy with them dawgs? Arf ... arf!!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Lady J

Armchair Travels

Post by Lady J »

jones jones;1441202 wrote: Yo! Where ya bin lady? Too busy with them dawgs? Arf ... arf!!

:wah::wah::wah:

Well I have just been to Venice and back!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

I'm glad Venice was enjoyed so much! :-6

This time lapse of the sky from Mount Everest is spectacular. The photographer wrote about his experiences while climbing to the summit and it's amazing to me that with all of the extreme physical stresses put on the body during the journey that anyone manages to make it to the top. Here's his write-up ~~~~~> Into the death zone - Life and death on Mt. Everest - Elia Saikaly | Elia Saikaly

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

A fun time-lapse video of Amsterdam:

The swans at the end are a nice finishing touch!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

I think this South American island of birds is a place you would either love or hate, depending on your tolerance for noise and/or guano. Don't go after a viewing of Hitchcock's "The Birds"! :sneaky:

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

A time lapse film of beautiful nighttime winter Quebec!

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Beautiful footage of Iceland during its midnight sun phase!

From the filmmaker: "Midnight Sun: A natural phenomenon occurring in the summer months north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle where the sun never fully sets and remains visible 24 hours a day.

This short time lapse film was shot during the Icelandic Midnight Sun in June of 2011.

For 17 days I travelled solo around the entire island shooting almost 24 hours, sleeping in the car, and eating whenever I had the time. During my days shooting this film I shot 38,000 images, travelled some 2900 miles, and saw some of the most amazing, beautiful, and indescribable landscapes on the planet. Iceland is absolutely one of the most beautiful and unusual places you could ever imagine. Especially during the Midnight Sun when the quality of light hitting the landscape is very unusual, and very spectacular.

Iceland is a landscape photographers paradise and playground, and should be number 1 on every photographers must visit list. Iceland during the Midnight Sun is in sort of a permanent state of sunset. The sun never full sets and travels horizontally across the horizon throughout the night, as can be seen in the opening shot and at the :51 second mark in the video.

During the Arctic summer, sunset was at midnight and sunrise was at 3am. The Arctic summer sun provided 24 hours a day of light, with as much as 6 hours daily of "Golden light". Once the sun had set it wouldn't even get dark enough for the stars to come out, and they don't start to reappear until August.

My advice to everyone out there, photographer or not, is simple... You MUST visit Iceland sometime during your lifetime. You will never regret it."

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Beautiful Bryce

From the filmmaker: "Bryce Canyon is one of the most beautiful National Parks in the US and I had the pleasure to shoot time-lapse there in April and May 2013. Bryce is not really a canyon but a collection of giant natural amphitheaters. Bryce Canyon is distinctive due to geological structures called hoodoos, formed by frost weathering and stream erosion of the river and lake bed sedimentary rocks.

While the rim at Bryce varies from 8,000 to 9,000 feet (2,400 to 2,700m) the red, orange, and white colors of the rocks provide spectacular views and the nights are cold even in the summer months."

jones jones

Armchair Travels

Post by jones jones »

I slept over at Bryce Canyon one very icy December on my way to the Grand Canyon ... Awesome place!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

jones jones;1444667 wrote: I slept over at Bryce Canyon one very icy December on my way to the Grand Canyon ... Awesome place!

I bet, JJ! That sounds like a memorable visit!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Terra Sacra Time Lapse

From the filmmaker: "An around-the-world time lapse journey celebrating our Sacred Earth. Six years in the making... seven continents... 24 countries."

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Here is St. Louis!

From the filmmaker: "Out of our love and passion for St. Louis City, we wanted to showcase some of the places and people that make it great. With special music from Band Called Catch (bandcalledcatch.com).

People and Places we filmed: Bogart’s Smoke House, Carlos’ Hot Dogs, Cathedral Basilica, Cherokee Street Bikes, City Garden, City Museum, City of St. Louis, Climb So Ill, Drumline of St. Louis, Drummer Terry Wicks, Firecracker Press, Fire Dept. Ice Cream, Fitz’s, Gelateria Del Leone, It’s a St. Louis Thing, Kakao Chocolate, Kaldi’s Coffee, La Vallesana, Missouri, Botanical Gardens, Moonrise Hotel, Pint Size Bakery, Pi Pizzeria, Schlafly, Soulard Farmer’s Market, Soulard, Spice Shop, Soulard Florist, St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis Cardinals, St. Louis City Hall, St. Louis Metro, St. Louis Zoo, Sump Coffee, Ted Drewes, The Mud House, Three Sixty Bar, Tivoli Theater, Washington University, World’s Fair Donuts, World War Memorial"

jones jones

Armchair Travels

Post by jones jones »

Totally awesome Tabs ... Thank so much for sharing!
FourPart

Armchair Travels

Post by FourPart »

How did this suddenly pop up in my Recent Unread Posts?
Snooz

Armchair Travels

Post by Snooz »

Man, I miss Tabby. She found the best videos.
Smaug

Armchair Travels

Post by Smaug »

Time-lapse video/music can be quite soothing...

" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Snooz;1478384 wrote: Man, I miss Tabby. She found the best videos.

I'm here now so come back and say hello! I miss your wonderfully snarky comments! :D
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Smaug;1483255 wrote: Time-lapse video/music can be quite soothing...

Beautiful video, Smaug, thank you for adding it!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Head to Brazil today ~~ very interesting wildlife!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

From the description: "Nightvision is a celebration of the brilliance and diversity of architecture found across Europe. Over the course of three months I journeyed with a friend through 36 cities in 21 countries with the ambition of capturing some of the greatest European structures in a new and unique way. Comprised of thousands of carefully taken photographs, strung together and stabilized in post-production, Nightvision aims to inspire appreciation for these man-made landmarks."

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Wintertime in Kinderdijk

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Point Reyes, California National Seashore

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Amazing Red Lotus Sea, Nong Han Lake Udon Thani. (North East Thailand)

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

A Gift from Rome. Timelapse & Hyperlapse. Italy. Vatican

tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

The Continental Divide Trail in Four Minutes

LarsMac

Armchair Travels

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1530531 wrote: The Continental Divide Trail in Four Minutes

I've hiked much of the Colorado and Wyoming sections.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Lucky you ... that has to be a great hike and the scenery is breathtaking. So much naturally wide open space!

The film has a comment that few people trek the entire trail from beginning to end and I can easily believe it. It would take a huge time commitment if nothing else. And how many people have the luxury of having nothing else to do for several months?
Bryn Mawr

Armchair Travels

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1530578 wrote: Lucky you ... that has to be a great hike and the scenery is breathtaking. So much naturally wide open space!

The film has a comment that few people trek the entire trail from beginning to end and I can easily believe it. It would take a huge time commitment if nothing else. And how many people have the luxury of having nothing else to do for several months?

I remember Guy Martin doing it a few years back, admittedly he was on a push bike but it was under three weeks start to finish.

I’d be overjoyed if I could do it in less than three months.
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

I had to google Guy Martin! 3 weeks is definitely good time!

I think the average time to hike the entirety of the Appalachian Trail is 6 to 7 months. And speaking of such, Bill Bryson wrote a wonderful travel/humor book in 1998 on his experiences on the trail (A Walk in the Woods). I read it ages ago but only recently found out that a movie had been made in 2015 with Robert Redford & Nick Nolte. I found a used copy on Ebay and watched it a few weeks ago. It wasn't completely true to the book but close enough and was a lot of fun to watch.
LarsMac

Armchair Travels

Post by LarsMac »

My niece and nephew retired in the 90s and spent a year hiking the AT. I helped by publishing their journals for them.

It was pretty brutal at times. The Pennsylvania section is probably the hardest part of the entire trail.

They actually ended up abandoning the hike in Th Berkshires because of early snowstorms, and went back the next spring to finish.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1530589 wrote: My niece and nephew retired in the 90s and spent a year hiking the AT. I helped by publishing their journals for them.

It was pretty brutal at times. The Pennsylvania section is probably the hardest part of the entire trail.

They actually ended up abandoning the hike in Th Berkshires because of early snowstorms, and went back the next spring to finish.

That sounds like a trek to remember! I've heard that parts of the Pennsylvania trail are the hardest, probably because of the rocky terrain and in the movie I mentioned, I think they gave up in Pennsylvania. Ultimately, he finished it northward on in bits and pieces. Still an accomplishment!
devist8me

Armchair Travels

Post by devist8me »

If the other 3 are like New York, I'd like to see but would be done in a day. I visited New York a few years ago, way too intense. Sensory overload at it's best. Was a walking anxiety attack waiting to happen lol

jones jones;1441104 wrote: I was fortunate enough to visit Venice and it's a favourite city of mine after the "big three" ... New York, London & Paris.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
LarsMac

Armchair Travels

Post by LarsMac »

devist8me;1530620 wrote: If the other 3 are like New York, I'd like to see but would be done in a day. I visited New York a few years ago, way too intense. Sensory overload at it's best. Was a walking anxiety attack waiting to happen lol

I would really enjoy Venice, I think. The only City in Italy where I have spent much time was Milan.

- DH Lawrence
devist8me

Armchair Travels

Post by devist8me »

I think I would love Milan. People are milling, not jetting to get somewhere and bouncing tourists around like ping pong balls lol. Also, the river walkway reminds me of San Antonio.

LarsMac;1530626 wrote: I would really enjoy Venice, I think. The only City in Italy where I have spent much time was Milan.

I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1530626 wrote: I would really enjoy Venice, I think. The only City in Italy where I have spent much time was Milan.

Nice video! There was a spell where the news was that Venice was slowly sinking ... are they still predicting that? I haven't heard that in while!
tabby

Armchair Travels

Post by tabby »

Moscow, Russia:

[vimeo]240910267[/vimeo]

Beautiful & striking modern architecture but I still enjoy the older buildings with the onion domes best!

Return to “Travel Places”