Buster Keaton - Sherlock Jr. (1924) - Motorcycle Scene

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
tabby

Post by tabby »

A great scene! It gets more intense and funnier as it goes along.

I'l add the video clip to a reply so that it doesn't take up so much space on the home page.
tabby

Post by tabby »

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

I adore Buster Keaton, he was far funnier and much more inventive than Chaplin but was never appreciated by the public as well as Chaplin. In my opinion he was THE comedy genius.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Excellent, thank you :-6
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

chocoholic;1529529 wrote: I adore Buster Keaton, he was far funnier and much more inventive than Chaplin but was never appreciated by the public as well as Chaplin. In my opinion he was THE comedy genius.

Keaton was great, but he was kind of a one trick Pony. Chaplin, on the other hand, was owner of his production,and that made the real difference.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

I like both Keaton and Chaplin but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Buster.

I saw one of his films not long ago and I still chuckle over his naming his boat "Damfino". The boat began to sink when he took it out so he tried to contact the Coast Guard. They kept asking him the name of his boat and he kept telling them "Damfino" and complete chaos ensued.

Buster was very athletic and nimble and as far as I know he did all of his own stunts. He also broke several bones over the years. The timing of the sequences in this clip are amazing.

I've read that Buster lost a lot of his creative freedom when he stopped making his own films and signed on with MGM.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1529542 wrote: I like both Keaton and Chaplin but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Buster.

I saw one of his films not long ago and I still chuckle over his naming his boat "Damfino". The boat began to sink when he took it out so he tried to contact the Coast Guard. They kept asking him the name of his boat and he kept telling them "Damfino" and complete chaos ensued.

Buster was very athletic and nimble and as far as I know he did all of his own stunts. He also broke several bones over the years. The timing of the sequences in this clip are amazing.

I've read that Buster lost a lot of his creative freedom when he stopped making his own films and signed on with MGM.

Well, I would not want to choose between the two. They were both masters of their craft, and a joy to watch.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

I think Keaton was more physical and his comedy involved keeping a deadpan face whilst everything descended into chaos around him. Chaplin (for me) seemed more of a one-trick pony relying on silly facial expressions and that walk, I just never found him very comical.

I would say Keaton was the better film maker but maybe Chaplin was a better script writer and connected with the viewing public more easily.

He was certainly more business minded than Keaton who sold off the rights to his films and ended up struggling financially whereas Chaplin was more savvy and managed his career and money better.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Keaton was the MAN! For sheer hilarity, nothing beats him, even today.
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

Interesting article in The Guardian from Peter Bogdanovitch

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/f ... -the-world
tabby

Post by tabby »

Good article & I agree with Bogdanovich's observations. Coincidentally, last night we watched 'Battling Butler" and the DVD had a little bonus short called "Haunted House". Both were fun to watch!

My favorite stunt of his is the street scene (I can't remember which movie it was) were he escapes the police by grabbing a passing car! The first time I saw it, it was so unexpected and I can't imagine how someone could do that and not have their arm pulled out of the socket!

Return to “Comedy”