What healthy ingredient do you cook with the most?

tabby

Post by tabby »

In the last few years, I've gotten into the habit of using olive oil in lieu of butter for many recipes and I've also replaced lettuce with spinach. What small changes if any have you made in your cooking habits, such as replacing one ingredient with another?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I don't eat potatoes or rice, I started using quinoa and buckwheat. I switched from milk to almond milk and I only eat free range eggs.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I love potatoes and rice but have had to make big reduction in carbs due to pre diabetes.

I have substituted egg plant and zucchini for potatoes and have gone to basmati rice due to it's much lower glycemic index.

I love olive oil and have always used it in lieu of other cooking oils.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

When a recipe calls for sour cream, I use plain yogurt.

I gave up potato chips and fries.

Also quit putting sugar in coffee and tea.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Olive oil, onions, garlic. Good thing I'm happily married eh?
gaveIn

Post by gaveIn »

i just wanted my food to be organic, as much as possible no preservatives and chemicals.
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

I have stopped eating junk food. That's my way of maintaining a fit body.
Giese48

Post by Giese48 »

I usually eat Low-calorie food and most of them are vegetables, i think it's a good way to keep health!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I've stopped acknowledging that it really is junk food. I've heard attitude is everything.

But really, my beloved keeps me in line really well, so we've been eating healthy so long that I don't think of what we do as substituting anything, we just eat. I can't eat heavy meals anymore, meaning traditional Texas steak & potatoes, soul food, etc etc, only in small helpings.

When we snack, we eat nuts more than potato chips, and often stir fry broccoli or tofu instead.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I don't have salt in the house anymore and I don't buy canned veggies except for refried beans
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1433785 wrote: I don't have salt in the house anymore and I don't buy canned veggies except for refried beans
Find a good recipe for borracho beans and mash/process the leftover beans. You'll never buy canned again.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1434633 wrote: Find a good recipe for borracho beans and mash/process the leftover beans. You'll never buy canned again.

Oooh I looked up some recipes, will have them this weekend. Thanks.
messo

Post by messo »

Olive Oil and peanut oil is all I fry with. I put some frozen powdered spinach in most every recipe I can. Blueberries (pie, cake, jam, ice cream). Barley and millet mixed into any rice dish. Onion sprouts in my chicken soup.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

messo;1514648 wrote: Olive Oil and peanut oil is all I fry with. I put some frozen powdered spinach in most every recipe I can. Blueberries (pie, cake, jam, ice cream). Barley and millet mixed into any rice dish. Onion sprouts in my chicken soup.

What has happened to you since 2008 ? Only nine other posts in around 11 years .

Seems you need to change your cooking strategies and aim to increase energy .

Or is your cooking actually so bad that you have spent most of the time being ill and on the toilet ?

Update urgently required .
spot

Post by spot »

If I remember, messo was as late as last year still using Microsoft's XP operating system on her Dell Optiplex 755. Given the online perils we face on a daily basis, that surely is sufficient to explain her subsequent silence.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Good Lord . Do they allow women here ?

Is that wise ?
spot

Post by spot »

We never even considered misogyny as an objective when cultivating ForumGarden, the world practised that for most of human existence and it disgraced its advocates every time.

We are the folk song army,

Every one of us cares.

We all hate poverty, war, and injustice

Unlike the rest of you squares.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

spot;1526728 wrote: We never even considered misogyny as an objective when cultivating ForumGarden, the world practised that for most of human existence and it disgraced its advocates every time.

etc

]

You appear to be humourless , Spotty , but I would have expected even you to

recognise banter when it was blatantly stuck up ---- your left nostril .

Have you been been eating too many radishes again ?
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1527540 wrote: You appear to be humourless , Spotty

I think you'll find, if you ask unbiased observers, that humourless people rarely quote Tom Lehrer.

"Banter", on the other hand, has invariably (in my experience) been a euphemism for bullying whether online or otherwise.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

spot;1527541 wrote: I think you'll find, if you ask unbiased observers, that humourless people rarely quote Tom Lehrer.

"Banter", on the other hand, has invariably (in my experience) been a euphemism for bullying whether online or otherwise.

Face slapping is an Art form .

And , when it is warranted it needs supporting .As with Fat Shaming .

Too many victims attempt to hide their mistakes by using the " I was bullied "excuse --- Tom Lemon 1995.
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1527937 wrote: Too many victims attempt to hide their mistakes by using the " I was bullied "excuse --- Tom Lemon 1995.

It's something of a giveaway that Mr Lemon refers to them as victims though.

Am I meant to have heard of Mr Lemon?

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”