Finucane inquiry 'will be stymied'

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

IRISH INDEPENDENT 16th March 2005,The fully independent inquiry into allegations of British security forces collusion with loyalist protestant para military groups in Northern Ireland, into the murder of Pat Finucane, promised by British Prime Minister, Tony Blair at Weston Park in 2001, will not be independent following new UK legislation, the House of Commons has been told.

The British Government's Inquiries Bill, which had its second reading in the Commons, will allow government ministers, over the wishes of any inquiry chairman, to exclude sensitive issues and evidence + intelligence material, bar the public from hearings and conceal the identity of government witnesses.www.unison.ie

Unquote.

They,the British Government want us Irish government to sack Sinn Fein IRA ect, but are unwilling to come clean and put their own cards on the table.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

That is very dissapointing Capn, but no less than I would expect from his Tonyness.

I guess you like me will draw your own conclusions on these matters. It would have been a golden opportunity to clear the past of wrongdoings carried out by certain British institutions, the spooks of whitehall were never going to let that happen.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

True Bothwell
spot

Post by spot »

And sure enough, the trickle of detail uncovers a little more about the destruction of evidence.

The prominent solicitor was shot dead by loyalists at his home in north Belfast in 1989.

Details of a visit by MI5 to Judge Cory's London offices in 2002 - corroborated by the inquiry's senior counsel - are contained in a BBC Spotlight programme.

MI5 told his staff they were removing all the inquiry's hard drives in the interests of national security.

They were erased before being returned.

[...]

Judge Cory raised MI5's intervention with the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Sir John Stevens, but decided against pursuing the matter to prevent a diplomatic incident.

The judge had printed back-up copies of the material and believes nothing was ultimately lost.

Mr Finucane's widow, Geraldine, said: "I was told that papers marked 'cabinet eyes only' involved the collusion and the killing of my husband.

"There is something there that needs to be exposed," she told the programme.

Pat Finucane: Security service wiped hard drives

I fear Judge Cory, on the basis of his comment about hard copy, has no idea what storage, current directory contents and wiping imply.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

lol. I thought a "Finucane" was some kind of bad weather event...
spot

Post by spot »

Saint_;1526204 wrote: lol. I thought a "Finucane" was some kind of bad weather event...

No, he was a lawyer murdered on the instructions of a British Intelligence unit in Northern Ireland.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

spot;1526209 wrote: No, he was a lawyer murdered on the instructions of a British Intelligence unit in Northern Ireland.

Nonsense .

It is a French term for the type of sword ( stick ) they used to remove people they disliked ..
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1526476 wrote: Nonsense .

It is a French term for the type of sword ( stick ) they used to remove people they disliked ..

A neologism rather like Spudulike on the High Street.

I do wish they'd stop doing that. ToysRUs was another. Barbarism, exactly how the Greeks used the term.

Return to “Ireland”