Prom night

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We went out to dinner on a Saturday night - restaurants are very busy - check in get a beeper. We're seated dinner is delicious. The workers are setting up tables for a large group.

When here it comes - a parade of young ladies in their gowns and the young men in beautiful suits - it was sweet.

I had a flash back - way back (1974) when I was 16 yrs. old in my gown for my Prom.

Did you attend a Prom - if not why?

Patsy
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Our prom was cancelled due to the reaction of some people to the assassination of Dr King.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars -" they" didn't want to reschedule if there could be conflict unfortunate for you & many others.

That was the "Lorain Motel" in Memphis - visited during our road trip to NY.

I wore a yellow designed gown and my date wore yellow shirt as we drove away in a yellow car..LOL I don't think I remembered that until now.

so young

Patsy
gmc

Prom night

Post by gmc »

It's more an american thing. I left school in 74 as well at the height of the three day working week, r inflation was in double figures and britain was the sick man of europe and we wee on bended knees asking the eu to let is join. suits were a luxury, flares kipper ties and long hair were the thing I went to university because i couldn't get a job, got a degree and was unemploted for two years after that and I still hate thatcher.

Life was beige and so were the cars. I'm ome of the lost generation post hippy and pre punk.
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

I wasn't really the type for the Prom, anyway.

I was the nerdy kid in a Redneck School.

I did make sure that my daughter got to be a part of her Prom. (Even if it was just sending my ex the money for a dress.)
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Prom night

Post by Saint_ »

I had the time of my life at my Junior Prom because I had met my first "real" girlfriend and we went together.

By a year later, we were fighting at Senior Prom, so she went with my worst enemy...and I took her best friend.

This deteriorated after that.
spot

Prom night

Post by spot »

I'm aware proms exist in Britain but I have no knowledge of them. There certainly wasn't one at the school I attended.

Back then, in some parts of British society, there was gender segregation comparable to anything you might anticipate today at a strict Taliban or Saudi madrassa. I don't believe I'm blanking any memory when I say I didn't speak with any non-related school-age female between my 8th and 16th birthday.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Wow

I've always thought being Home Schooled kept the child from interacting with other students - & not being able to participate with all a public school offers.

I don't think that separation is healthy.

Patsy
Saint_

Prom night

Post by Saint_ »

Patsy Warnick;1522913 wrote: Wow

I've always thought being Home Schooled kept the child from interacting with other students - & not being able to participate with all a public school offers.

Patsy

It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

Those students are very awkward and lack many of the social skills and understanding of social cues that the other children have. It's pretty heart breaking sometimes.

Think about it...did you learn anything on the playground? Or in the lunchroom? Coping skills to deal with bullies, or racists, or even the other gender?
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Saint

That's exactly my point the lack of social skills.

Certainly a disadvantage.

Do you notice if these students are withdrawn?

Do you notice if they're the ones bullied more so than others?

I find this particularly sad.

Patsy
Saint_

Prom night

Post by Saint_ »

Patsy Warnick;1522916 wrote: Saint

That's exactly my point the lack of social skills.

Certainly a disadvantage.

Do you notice if these students are withdrawn?

Do you notice if they're the ones bullied more so than others?

I find this particularly sad.

Patsy

Yes, yes, and also yes. Most of them have what I call the "kicked puppy syndrome." they need a lot of attention an are very clingy.
spot

Prom night

Post by spot »

I did attend a mainstream non-fee-paying school, it just had no females in it other than the two secretaries who ran the office.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Spot

how & when did you get enough courage to approach a female?

It had to be awkward - or did you wait until a female approached you?

or is a female even involved in your life style?

Just curious

Patsy
spot

Prom night

Post by spot »

Patsy Warnick;1522919 wrote: Spot

how & when did you get enough courage to approach a female?

It had to be awkward - or did you wait until a female approached you?

or is a female even involved in your life style?

Just curious

Patsy

We're speaking of a society which is quite alien to the one we presently inhabit. The time was closer to the days before World War 1 than it is to now, it certainly felt and behaved more like 1908 than 2018. Unquestioned social attitudes which would get you ostracised these days were pervasive. Looking around then at racial or gender discrimination gave a different perspective then than looking back on it from today. I started work in an office with thirty men and two women, and those two women were considered very odd fish a long way out of the water history had intended them to inhabit. It didn't even cross my mind that the only people in the building were white and that none but the tea-ladies were Irish.

By the time I was twenty I had a dozen or so close acquaintances with whom I socialized, all met initially at school. Between them they could summon up three girlfriends, two of whom were very distinctly spoken for. It occurs to me that Bryn could name most of the pack. Most weekends I would walk four miles and call on the third for a few hours, when we would listen to albums and play bowls - on a bowling green, outdoors - and walk the industrial river path taking photos. I'm not certain that my mother, on those occasions when she returned the visit, entirely approved of her. She was very arty. The girl, not my mother.

It would not be entirely unfair to describe me as slightly repressed but I mean well most of the time.
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

Saint_;1522914 wrote: It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

Those students are very awkward and lack many of the social skills and understanding of social cues that the other children have. It's pretty heart breaking sometimes.

Think about it...did you learn anything on the playground? Or in the lunchroom? Coping skills to deal with bullies, or racists, or even the other gender?

The anti-social label home-schooled people are burdened with is mostly a myth. Three of my four were home-schooled (all are now in their thirties) and none lack social skills, as is also true with the rest of the 30 or so kids in our home-school group. Today, afaik, all members of the group are doing quite well, generally speaking. One granddaughter (7 years) is currently enrolled in a Montessori school, and her parents are preparing to home-school her beginning next semester. ETA: No prom for me.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1522914 wrote: It's not. As an educator, it's often painfully obvious when a student reaches the level where the parent can no longer educate them and they join the public school system.

That was my main concern when our daughter and son-in-law chose to home school their kids. However she, being quite the extrovert by nature, was aware of the issue, and had that planned out, too. She connected with a group of home-school families in the area, and they worked very hard at providing a lot of the extra curricular activities and social environment that can be missed by home-schooling.

I was quite impressed by the work she put into the task, and her kids have been very successful. The oldest has now moved on through the local Community college, a begins Junior year at State University this next semester. Middle kid is beginning her junior year at Florida Atlantic U. The youngest decided to enter regular High School for here Freshman year, and made the transition from Home School to Regular with great success. She graduates next month with honors.

Like any education method, Home Schooling depends on the effort and drive of the student, and the family.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

Most often when people associated with the American education system make comments on home-schooled people they mistake social skills with tribalism. The school system promotes tribalism via competition in both academics and sports.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1522929 wrote: Most often when people associated with the American education system make comments on home-schooled people they mistake social skills with tribalism. The school system promotes tribalism via competition in both academics and sports.

Well, we are, after all, a tribal species.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1522930 wrote: Well, we are, after all, a tribal species.

I'm listening.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1522931 wrote: I'm listening.

What would you expect to hear?

Tribal behavior is what being a primate (with few exceptions) is all about. How to get along with the tribe/Clan/troop/neighborhood.

Establishing one's place in the scheme and establishing social position, pecking order, and such. School being a function of that Social structure will tend to reflect the tribal functions. So the teachers and Administration, being the Dominate social class, will be expected to direct the activities and promote behavior that favors the social structure.

Outsiders will naturally be put under a lot of stress to either prove themselves worthy of being admitted, or encouraged to keep on moving, and seek another tribe.

The behavior can be seen in situations where new kids come into another school, any school, and when that other school was a home school situation, they may have never participated in the socialization process to start with. Pre-adolescent Children adapt a lot faster, but if they are still the outsider after adolescence has set in, it can be quite uncomfortable.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Prom night

Post by Betty Boop »

Patsy Warnick;1522913 wrote: Wow

Patsy

Sometimes they have to be separated from the other students and school atmosphere for the sake of their mental health. I spent years arguing and fighting with my daughter to get her to school everyday where she just felt lost. Gave up and took her out with a view to home schooling, wish I'd done it sooner. Didn't actually do a lot of schooling because mentally she was a mess so it became recovery and building confidence time. Then, eventually she wanted to learn and is turning it all around herself. She's studying alongside working full time now.

She is a bit lacking in friends at the moment but then I think she would have anyway once she left school, not many of them were real friends they all dropped one another when boys came along and that's what happens. Eventually she'll form stronger friendships which will last.

She missed her prom and though she used to talk about it dreamily, when it all came round I don't think she was actually too bothered by it.

Proms are a relatively recent import from America, we'd have end of year discos ! More fun, less pressure to be wearing the best dress, sporting the best hair and having the best date etc. The last disco would just always end with the alarms being set off and kids running screaming like maniacs away from the school rejoicing the fact they'd never have to return
FourPart

Prom night

Post by FourPart »

You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.
Betty Boop

Prom night

Post by Betty Boop »

FourPart;1522954 wrote: You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.

wow lol have you proof for your sweeping statement, you've mixed with home schooling parents ?
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

We have just received copies of the granddaughter's Prom pics, as well as those of my niece (sister's granddaughter) and her Prom date.

The Tradition appears to be alive and well.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Prom night

Post by Patsy Warnick »

all I know is there is no way in hell my mother would consider Home Schooling.. LOL LOL are you kidding me - she couldn't wait to get us & put us in that institution - all 6 of us..

I started school at 4 yrs. old - kindergarden . Of course that's the 60's...

We started kindergarden & continued with the area schools with all the same students/friends now & graduating with the same.

Only 3 out of 6 of my siblings made a life for themselves. We were all raised the same - attended the same public schools and a few of the siblings went towards the drug avenue.

Why - they attended their prom high. I had no idea.

Maybe those siblings needed more attention - tutor - home study certainly it's all positive and only parents know the right path for their child.

I say - raising kids is a crap shoot - you do your best & hope for the best.

Patsy
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1522932 wrote: What would you expect to hear?

Tribal behavior is what being a primate (with few exceptions) is all about. How to get along with the tribe/Clan/troop/neighborhood.

Establishing one's place in the scheme and establishing social position, pecking order, and such. School being a function of that Social structure will tend to reflect the tribal functions. So the teachers and Administration, being the Dominate social class, will be expected to direct the activities and promote behavior that favors the social structure.

Outsiders will naturally be put under a lot of stress to either prove themselves worthy of being admitted, or encouraged to keep on moving, and seek another tribe.

The behavior can be seen in situations where new kids come into another school, any school, and when that other school was a home school situation, they may have never participated in the socialization process to start with. Pre-adolescent Children adapt a lot faster, but if they are still the outsider after adolescence has set in, it can be quite uncomfortable.

I think the general consensus among people who study this is that humans are social animals to a large degree, but I would not conflate that with tribalism.

Tribalism is a division within the social structure. Some people obviously believe it to be necessary, however, I don't see that as qualifying tribalism as a condition of the species.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

FourPart;1522954 wrote: You also tend to find that those who opt to Home School their children are also Religious Zealots who want to indoctrinate their children from the earliest ages, without any external diversions who might get them to question the reality of things.

It is true that home-schooling is popular with religious people, and I agree that that is often due to and forwards religious indoctrination. That said, public education is also a form of indoctrination into the general conditioning of the culture.

When we decided to offer home-schooling to our kids we were offering them a chance to sleep in a bit longer and wake up more slowly and naturally as well as a self-paced option to the curriculum along with the best form of guidance we could offer. Our now adult offspring who took up our offer of being homeschooled have thanked us often over the years for giving them the option.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

Patsy Warnick;1522969 wrote: all I know is there is no way in hell my mother would consider Home Schooling.. LOL LOL are you kidding me - she couldn't wait to get us & put us in that institution - all 6 of us.Those are the unfortunate consequences to both children and adults who live in a society where birth control is discouraged and blind obedience to the cultural structure is demanded by authority and followed by citizens. Conditions of tribalism.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1522947 wrote: Sometimes they have to be separated from the other students and school atmosphere for the sake of their mental health. I spent years arguing and fighting with my daughter to get her to school everyday where she just felt lost. Gave up and took her out with a view to home schooling, wish I'd done it sooner. Didn't actually do a lot of schooling because mentally she was a mess so it became recovery and building confidence time. Then, eventually she wanted to learn and is turning it all around herself. She's studying alongside working full time now.

She is a bit lacking in friends at the moment but then I think she would have anyway once she left school, not many of them were real friends they all dropped one another when boys came along and that's what happens. Eventually she'll form stronger friendships which will last.

She missed her prom and though she used to talk about it dreamily, when it all came round I don't think she was actually too bothered by it.

Proms are a relatively recent import from America, we'd have end of year discos ! More fun, less pressure to be wearing the best dress, sporting the best hair and having the best date etc. The last disco would just always end with the alarms being set off and kids running screaming like maniacs away from the school rejoicing the fact they'd never have to return

Comgratulations for becoming tuned into your daughter and being open-minded enough to consider alternative options for her. That sort of attitude is unselfish and nurturing. Your children are fortunate to have you as a mom.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Prom night

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1522970 wrote: Tribalism is a division within the social structure. Some people obviously believe it to be necessary, however, I don't see that as qualifying tribalism as a condition of the species.

Name me a society which doesn't rely on team sports for its adhesion.
Ahso!

Prom night

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1522976 wrote: Name me a society which doesn't rely on team sports for its adhesion.

I don't know if there are any, though I doubt it's always been the case that team sports have been part of every society either. Taking a quick look around the internet, in spite of a lot of armchair commentary, there's no actual scientific evidence of team sport activity early on.

Cultural conditioning probably tends to overwrite biology in regards to behavior, both individually and within the group.

Religion is another practice, like sports, which I'd say is not natural but learned via cultural conditioning. That doesn't make religion right or necessary, only a historical fact.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1522970 wrote: I think the general consensus among people who study this is that humans are social animals to a large degree, but I would not conflate that with tribalism.

Tribalism is a division within the social structure. Some people obviously believe it to be necessary, however, I don't see that as qualifying tribalism as a condition of the species.

Do you define tribalism as something distinct, compared to other grouping behavior in the animal populations (family, clan, troop, herd, flock, neighborhood, etc.)
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Prom night

Post by LarsMac »

Well, daughter sent us pics from grandkid's prom night.

The young man who took her to the dance is a surfer and I've never seen him in anything but shorts and flip-flops. But, I have to say that he cleans up very well, and he was the perfect gentleman, according to my daughter.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Prom night

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop;1522959 wrote: wow lol have you proof for your sweeping statement, you've mixed with home schooling parents ?

Yes, and every one of them are Religious fanatics.

Return to “General Chit Chat”