Road Trip

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We're scheduling a road trip to New York.

We'll go to New Mexico to Oklahoma to Memphis TN to Nashville to Washington D.C. to New York to Boston to Niagara Falls to Ohio and home.

Looking forward to our trip as I have always wanted to go to New York. I never thought I'd be driving to New York - my husband's idea..:-2

We've done several road trips in the past to WA State - Canada - Yellowstone etc..

I've never had a road trip to the Atlantic Ocean - this will be a wonderful adventure.

Are Road Trips your thing?

Patsy
gmc

Road Trip

Post by gmc »

Road trips and camping and caravanning. Next trip will be up north again - I'm taking some Austrian friends around the north and west of Scotland. Haven't driven on the continent since the last century I have a real hankering to drive down to the toe of Italy just to see the country.

Drove 600 miles last week, OK I'm a lorry driver road trips are my thing all that varies is the length of the trip.
LarsMac

Road Trip

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1519796 wrote: We're scheduling a road trip to New York.

We'll go to New Mexico to Oklahoma to Memphis TN to Nashville to Washington D.C. to New York to Boston to Niagara Falls to Ohio and home.

Looking forward to our trip as I have always wanted to go to New York. I never thought I'd be driving to New York - my husband's idea..:-2

We've done several road trips in the past to WA State - Canada - Yellowstone etc..

I've never had a road trip to the Atlantic Ocean - this will be a wonderful adventure.

Are Road Trips your thing?

Patsy

Well, if you're going to Boston, I highly recommend, before heading West, again, take a drive north to Maine. Go up the coast a bit from Portland.

A beautiful little tourist town worth checking out is Boothbay Harbor. Or a bit further north to Bar Harbor.

Then head west from Portland Maine to Saratoga Springs, NY. And then across to Buffalo. to Niagra Falls.

And you have to go to the Canadian side of the Falls.

We LOVE road trips.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Thanks Lars - my hubby is looking into it now.

Patsy
gmc

Road Trip

Post by gmc »

Out of curiosity how far do you have to go before you consider a road trip a road trip?

I'm contemplating camping this weekend in order to do a spot of hillwalking depending on which way I go for the return trip it's 276 to 240 miles. Would that be classed as a road trip?
LarsMac

Road Trip

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1519815 wrote: Out of curiosity how far do you have to go before you consider a road trip a road trip?

I'm contemplating camping this weekend in order to do a spot of hillwalking depending on which way I go for the return trip it's 276 to 240 miles. Would that be classed as a road trip?

Absolutely!

We've done road trips that were only 50 miles or so. We drove up to Greeley, Colorado, for the Rodeo and camped with the family for the weekend. That counts.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

any time I'm in a vehicle not going to a grocery store that's a road trip..:wah:

Lars we're booked for Maine thank you.

This will be one of our longer road trips @ 6 thousand miles.

looking forward to it.

Patsy
LarsMac

Road Trip

Post by LarsMac »

So, how goes the road trip planning?

My wife will finally be coming home next week from rehab, and we can start planning our next road trip.

Don't think Maine will make the agenda this year.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We arrived late last night in Virginia. Going to Arlington Cemetery & D.C. tour tomorrow. Then New York for a few days.

Met some great people - fun..:guitarist

Thanks for asking Lars

I'll check in later.

Patsy
LarsMac

Road Trip

Post by LarsMac »

Glad to hear you're having a good trip.

Enjoy.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

OMG - Arlington National Cemetery is a must see. Very impressive.

This traffic is unbelievable - different world over here. We have On Star & still got turned around. :wah: Tonight We were 9 miles away from our Hotel & it took 35 minutes to arrive.

We won't be driving around NY

Tomorrow a tour of D.C.

Patsy

P.S. I cried a few tears today - took me 3 trips to Pearl Harbor before I could tour that..
LarsMac

Road Trip

Post by LarsMac »

Oh, NO. Don't drive in NY. It's a madhouse.

Park your car at the hotel, and take public transportation. But even that can be an adventure. I did some work in NY and learned my way around pretty well, but when the wife and her sisters and a grandkid joined me, it was quite the adventure getting us all around.

We stayed at one of Leona's hotels, near Columbia Circle, and used taxis most of the time. We did take the subway once to get to the theater, and that was an adventure in itself.

I hope you have a local to play tour guide.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Road Trip

Post by Clodhopper »

I know some of the story of Arlington National Cemetery - its foundation, why it is where it is and so on. I was moved to discover that the only non-American buried there is a Briton, Field Marshal Sir John Dill:

Dill served in Washington until his death from aplastic anaemia in November 1944. His funeral arrangements reflected the great professional and personal respect and affection that he had earned. A memorial service was held in Washington National Cathedral and the route of the cortege was lined by some thousands of troops, following which he was interred in Arlington National Cemetery, where a simple service was conducted at the graveside. A witness recorded that "I have never seen so many men so visibly shaken by sadness. Marshall's face was truly stricken ...". He was sorely missed by the American Joint Chiefs of Staff, who sent a fulsome message of condolence to their British colleagues:

"We feel we share equally with you the loss to our combined war effort resulting from the death of Field Marshal Sir John Dill. His character and wisdom, his selfless devotion to the allied cause, made his contribution to the combined British-American war effort of outstanding importance. It is not too much to say that probably no other individual was more responsible for the achievement of complete cooperation in the work of the Combined Chiefs of Staff.

... we have looked to him with complete confidence as a leader in our combined deliberations. He has been a personal friend of all of us ...

We mourn with you the passing of a great and wise soldier, and a great gentleman. His task in this war has been well done."

He was posthumously awarded an American Distinguished Service Medal in 1944 as well as receiving an unprecedented joint resolution of the United States Congress appreciating his services. The equestrian statue on Dill's grave is one of only two at Arlington National Cemetery, the other is Major General Philip Kearny's. (from wikipedia)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Patsy Warnick

Road Trip

Post by Patsy Warnick »

New York - OMG..

Lars - We stayed in Newark NJ. Our car never left the hotel parking.

We took hotel shuttle to NJ Penn Station - caught the "Path" train which drops you off at The World Trade Center which is Ground Zero.

Then We had tickets for the "Hop On Hop Off" Bus. It's a double decker bus which was wonderful - We went from Ground Zero to Central Park - Time Square - Harlem - Rockafeller Center absolutely a great way to see all of NY.

The massive amount of people & all their languages going at the same time - unbelievable. great trip.

We're in Boston - apparently Arizona had a horrible storm - Trees are uprooted etc. and our roof has been blown off - just shingles everywhere so we're going to head back.

Wonderful fun trip.

Patsy

Return to “Travel Vacation”