RBS, Carillion, and the Rail Companies

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

RBS shares sold at £2bn loss as Treasury says it is 'unrealistic' taxpayers will ever make profit

Why sell now ?

Carillion, a private construction firm and provider of a multitude of outsourcing services to the UK public sector, went into liquidation.

Something smells to me.

Government support to the rail industry is roughly three times what it was at the end of the 1980s

And they are still rubbish ?

Are they looking after their old school pals ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1519484 wrote: RBS shares sold at £2bn loss as Treasury says it is 'unrealistic' taxpayers will ever make profit

Why sell now ?

Carillion, a private construction firm and provider of a multitude of outsourcing services to the UK public sector, went into liquidation.

Something smells to me.

Government support to the rail industry is roughly three times what it was at the end of the 1980s

And they are still rubbish ?

Are they looking after their old school pals ?

The whiff of corruption is so blatant that they've stopped even trying to conceal it. Whilst at the same time they're currently paying a private company to try to dig up dirt on Labour because they can't find any themselves.
gmc

Post by gmc »

If there is no prospect of making a orifit why would anyone buy them?

Fred the shred should be in jail for what he did the banks failure was on the cards along with that of northern rock et al, come to that gordon brown far from being a financial genius is a liar and an idiot of then first order.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I don't know anything about share dealing, but any money that was paid for them was out of public funds, so waiting for a more profitable or at least equitable time would make sense to me.

This is the party of big business, I would have thought knowing when to sell for the best result would be a priority, unless it was a reward for unknown favours or something.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm guessing but the sale will raise cash for the Gov't - not much else they can sell, now. Heathrow compensation? Brexit costs?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Clodhopper;1519502 wrote: I'm guessing but the sale will raise cash for the Gov't - not much else they can sell, now. Heathrow compensation? Brexit costs?

It was a £ 2bn loss.

Take your eyes off Brexit
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Yeah, it was a loss. But selling now will raise cash now, won't it? And even ignoring brexit (which is a bottomless pit) they just agreed a £1.25 billion compensation and soundproofing package for people affected by the new Heathrow runway. I can't think of any other big single projects that would require cash at present. Closer to an election I'd suggest tax cuts but we aren't close...I think.

gmc

Post by gmc »

Bruv;1519501 wrote: I don't know anything about share dealing, but any money that was paid for them was out of public funds, so waiting for a more profitable or at least equitable time would make sense to me.

This is the party of big business, I would have thought knowing when to sell for the best result would be a priority, unless it was a reward for unknown favours or something.

I disagree with you there this is the party of spivs and chancers none of whom have any regard for the interests of ordinary people. I don't think much of labour either

There is a channel 4 documentary" carry on brussels" it's worth having a look at if you have on demand or you tube if you don't. Even more entertaining is the various reviews of it dependeing on the political beliefs of the reviewer. To meUKIP show up as a bunch of childish arseholes david cambell bannerman as someone who knows very little about exactly what we trade with the eu and the effect of leaving the single market will have (he's the canada plus man) the only ones with any integrity is the sinn fein representative and the snp bloke. I can't believe anybody actually still supports ukip.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Chukka Umunna on Hard Talk last night. He made it quite clear that brexit was an issue where Country came before Party as far as he was concerned - he stated it explicitly - and implied there were others who felt as strongly. Soubry is perhaps a Tory who falls in that category. June 12th is a day to keep a close eye on the news - the Lords' Amendments get debated in the Commons. Also now the 13th as well I think, after pressure from Parliament.

I think I'll avoid that Ch4 doc. You've probably told me all I need to know. Regarding UKIP, it now has a solitary stronghold in Wales somewhere. As far as I can make out, while it had Farage in charge and some big money men behind it , UKIP functioned. Once Farage left and the big money men went too there was no-one left capable of running anything. And as we know, the BNP moved there lock stock and barrel. I see claims that UKIP will rise again if we don't Brexit but with people having seen its recent demise would they really want it again? Possibly...

And the trouble with taking your eyes off Brexit is that it quite literally has the power to affect the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, before we even get to issues like the economy, travel, health, science, culture, rights. There is very little that brexit does not affect.

FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Except that since being in Public Ownership they HAVE been making a profit. That's why they wnat to sell them off at Bargain Basement prices to their Rich Mates / Themselves. Take the East Coast Railway. Under Private Ownership it was failing & going bust. Once it was put under Public Ownership, under the administration of Directly Operated Railways it thrived. Then they privatised it again, and once again it went downhill. During that time the Tories quietly went & privatised Directly Operated Railways while no-one was looking. This means that once it goes bust again & is put back under the control or DOR, it will essentially mean taking it from one Privatised company & giving it to another. A bit like taking a BUPA hospital & giving it to the NHS to handle - under the administration of Virgin Care.

Return to “General Chit Chat”