Historical titbits

magentaflame

Historical titbits

Post by magentaflame »

Have been reading a book "Black land, White land by Michael Cannon.

Found something rather interesting to talk about next time youre in the pub.

According to legal accounts and wittnesses.

It seems the nephew of Sir Richard Guinness, of hillthorp brewry in Dublin wad a very naughty boy!

A real **** really. He came out to Australia in 1842 for a bit of a look see and decided to shoot indiginous persons as game. The events are as follows... on the social preten e of shooting kangaroos a joseph betts, a Henry beswicke Richarf Guiness Hill, a mam called Boursiquot and smith. A robert whithead and thomas osbrey...went out amd shot three indigenous women, one of which was heavily pregnant a young child boy, and fatally wounded another lubra who died later......when Governour Latrobe found out he and Gipps posted rewards for the killers... Richard Guiness fled back to Britain.....now it doesnt end there. (Oh and he was aquitted in absentia?) British justice didnt know until later when Australia got the story of a case he was tried for....and again aquitted.....when he married a 16 year old heiress and persuaded her to bequeath all her money over to him in case they never have a child to him .....but then she did and he took the baby registered him under a false name and took him to Drury lane to starve to death....the mother got wind that her baby wasnt dead (her name was amy georgina burdett) and sent private detectives out to get him back. He was put to trial on 27 sept 1862. It wasnt until newspapers picked the story up hear that everyone realised it was the dame bloke who killed the lubras.

And before you say he was aquitted so what.... Latrobe wrote..." it was obvious that Hill and Betts and tje other parties named by osbrey were concerned with that atrocious affair" ....Gipps wrote to Lord Stanley that it had been... "established beyond any rational doubt"that those charged were the murderers.....
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Historical titbits

Post by magentaflame »

Will fix spelling later....sorry.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Historical titbits

Post by LarsMac »

Civilization is chock full of sad stories like that.

White man is certainly not always a noble beastie.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Historical titbits

Post by spot »

A chap like that used to be called a blackguard. I'm not sure whether that's destined to become non-PC.

OED: In the earliest attested senses the primary reference is apparently either to black clothing or, probably, to soot stains. However, even the early uses in these senses seem frequently to play on the conventional connotations of menace, villainy, baseness, or other unfavourable associations of the word black or the colour itself.Almost invariably pronounced blagerd.

The Elizabethan Blackadder invariably dressed in black and played the rogue.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Historical titbits

Post by magentaflame »

I know what a blagerd is....did not know it came from the word black guard.
Clodhopper

Historical titbits

Post by Clodhopper »

I wonder if our more modern word, "blag" comes from blackguard originally?

And yeah. What a ****.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Historical titbits

Post by spot »

Clodhopper;1517704 wrote: I wonder if our more modern word, "blag" comes from blackguard originally?

The French refer to someone like me, who has the gift of the gab and unpredictably tells blatant entertaining lies, a blagueur. The Victorian sense of blagging as violent theft doesn't equate, but the current usage of conning people might.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Historical titbits

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1517705 wrote: The French refer to someone like me, who has the gift of the gab and unpredictably tells blatant entertaining lies, a blagueur. The Victorian sense of blagging as violent theft doesn't equate, but the current usage of conning people might.

It would fit perfectly :-)
spot

Historical titbits

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1517709 wrote: It would fit perfectly :-)

You'll get no Christmas card if you carry on like that.
tude dog

Historical titbits

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1517691 wrote: Civilization is chock full of sad stories like that.

White man is certainly not always a noble beastie.

Nobody is.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
FourPart

Historical titbits

Post by FourPart »

History is invariably written by the victors.

Return to “History”