Flat Earthers, move over - the three centuries that weren't ?

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ah, the latest in the "Science and History are not what you think" movement:

It seems all that History we studied in school was not all that historical, after all.

My Friend Charles Martel, for one, will be SO disappointed.

The Phantom Time Hypothesis Theory Says That It's Actually 1720
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

That is just too good not to be true, I insist it must be true. For one thing it immediately explains why there's a drift in carbon dating across the missing period and why the Dark Ages were dark in the first place.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

You can't trust a man that sports a beard like that.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

For me its the eyebrows. But its plausible.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

They must have had divine help to move the stars and planets in their orbits, there are plenty of references to eclipses going way back that are exactly where they are expected to be.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Calendar Time has always been man made. After all, how could anyone relate to dates before the invention of the Calendar? Even with the controversy as to the year of Jesus' birth (if he ever existed in the first place), a general standard had to be set, so as to conform with everyone else, so Calendars began at 1 AD. Anything before that counted backwards. Even now, I seem to recall that every 100 years there has to be a Leap Second in order to keep the clocks accurate, so the idea of some being 11 minutes out is not unrealistic.

As for a period having been faked - well, what do you expect. The records were kept by the Church. Fakery is synonymous with Religion.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1516383 wrote: Even now, I seem to recall that every 100 years there has to be a Leap Second in order to keep the clocks accurate

Nothing like so organized. There's a chap in some international time-institute who every year makes a decision whether there should be a leap second added and if he says there will be, then there is. It's probably monthly, not annually.

"The International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service, formerly the International Earth Rotation Service, is the body responsible for maintaining global time and reference frame standards".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Classic crackpot. You can't fake solar eclipses. And if Charlemagne didn't exist then someone exactly like him devised and implemented the reforms that led to the creation of his empire and of which records exist down to the number and type of mail shirt and weapons a warrior/knight was required to have.

There was a controversy 30 years ago on similar lines. Velikovsky I think was the name. Reckoned there were 600 years either missing or duplicated (can't now recall) in the Egyptian chronology. I rather gather subsequent research has filled the gaps that concerned him without the need for planets significantly changing their orbits over a few hundred years which was apparently involved.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1516411 wrote: Classic crackpot. You can't fake solar eclipses. And if Charlemagne didn't exist then someone exactly like him devised and implemented the reforms that led to the creation of his empire and of which records exist down to the number and type of mail shirt and weapons a warrior/knight was required to have.

There was a controversy 30 years ago on similar lines. Velikovsky I think was the name. Reckoned there were 600 years either missing or duplicated (can't now recall) in the Egyptian chronology. I rather gather subsequent research has filled the gaps that concerned him without the need for planets significantly changing their orbits over a few hundred years which was apparently involved.

Wasn't he the guy that claimed that the Moon was created when Venus and Earth collided back around the time Joshua was having that battle where the Sun stood still for a whole day?
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

LarsMac;1516413 wrote: Wasn't he the guy that claimed that the Moon was created when Venus and Earth collided back around the time Joshua was having that battle where the Sun stood still for a whole day?

Sounds like his sort of thing, though I can't say I know that one. (Other than maths lessons when I was a child...)

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I had to go look him up. Yup. he was the one.

Some strange notions he had.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I think he poses good questions though.

Fake news ....as they call, it is not a new invention.

Its like that Roman historian who (also a journalist i suppose) said...something along the lines of 'i write what wittnesses tell me, but dont neccesarily believe it myself'.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I've been reading Livy's History of early Rome. At present I've rather ground to a halt because a lot of it is mind bendingly dull stuff - lists of Consuls and their worthy careers...however the interest (apart from a picture of the development of early Rome) is his biases. There were people in HIS Rome he had to keep sweet who were descended from these people and "history" is written to minimise their failures and magnify their glory. In modern terms it is dreadful history - the facts may be basically correct but the interpretation of those facts is pure propaganda and a lot of it is pure fiction. Ramses II did the same thing with a battle against the Assyrians which was a bloody draw as is known from Assyrian records and the subsequent history (the first known treaty between superpowers) but is written up as a glorious triumph on Egyptian temple walls.

How much of the Iliad and the Odyssey are truth? Some of it is: a load of Greeks went and sacked a city and burned ruins of the right age have been found in the right place. Is it History? Ummm...not really. That was not its purpose. Livy is much more a historian - he does try to present the facts, but is unashamed in slanting it to please his patrons and inventing flavour scenes so their ancestors could look heroic (a wise move in what was fundamentally a Mafia state).

Historically, the trouble with History was that it always had to be written to please someone. Really, it's only with genuinely independent Universities that we have had the chance to do otherwise and even now people are constantly trying to rewrite history to suit their agenda, or control the people writing the history, as a Tory Minister recently did with his request for the details of University courses covering brexit.

There are a lot of people nowadays attacking the BBC for not backing particular issues that suit their agenda, for not "boosting Britain", for not telling them the news they want to hear. Yes, it's true: we have people demanding our independent news provider tell them sweet little lies rather than ugly truths.

nb that complete and total truth and objectivity are beyond human capacity. All you can ever do is try to get closer.

Return to “The Coffee Shop”