Ghosts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
tazzy

Ghosts

Post by tazzy »

I have to believe. Things moving dark figures peeking out at you banging of pans my cats hissing at nothing. Well they are not scaring anyone just want us to know they are here. Anyone else have any?
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Yup. I sense spirit. My son sees and my daughter is aware. Both have spoken separately of seeing a little girl in our house. I've spoken to the girl and told her we don't mind her being here but please don't frighten the children and it's been quiet since. Daughter hasn't seen her since I made that request but I know son speaks with her, she's harmless and it doesn't worry me one bit.

I sit in psychic circles weekly too, it's fascinating and I am the biggest cynic going but some of the stuff that comes through is pretty amazing.
LarsMac

Ghosts

Post by LarsMac »

Oh, no.

My ghosts don't like me talkin' about them.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Ghosts

Post by spot »

I sense things moving dark figures peeking out at me banging of pans and if I had a cat then it would hiss at nothing. What I don't do is think there's any possible supernatural explanation for it. We live in a natural world, there are no supernatural extras, conscious spiritual entities carrying the memories and personality of the dead are a failed hypothesis left over from unenlightened times. Or does "ghosts" mean something else in this thread?

And why do people see ghosts with clothes on? Do dead clothes have an afterlife too? Much of what I wear may look that way but they're still the original clo.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1514440 wrote: I sense things moving dark figures peeking out at me banging of pans and if I had a cat then it would hiss at nothing. What I don't do is think there's any possible supernatural explanation for it. We live in a natural world, there are no supernatural extras, conscious spiritual entities carrying the memories and personality of the dead are a failed hypothesis left over from unenlightened times. Or does "ghosts" mean something else in this thread?

And why do people see ghosts with clothes on? Do dead clothes have an afterlife too? Much of what I wear may look that way but they're still the original clo.Now, spot, this is not the discussion they want to have, so don't infringe. Remember what group it is to be kind to this week.

As with anything cult-like, I'm amazed anyone would handicap their child's intellect by teaching them such nonsense. But hey, the children are "theirs", aren't they, so they do as they please with them.

BTW, what's with the poor sentence structure? Is this spot or spot jr.? I do remember you, junior. Nice to see you around.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Ghosts

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1514441 wrote: BTW, what's with the poor sentence structure?Direct quote of sentence two of the opening post, except I reversed the first and second person singular. The events described may well be true but the interpretation is faulty.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1514444 wrote: Direct quote of sentence two of the opening post, except I reversed the first and second person singular. The events described may well be true but the interpretation is faulty.

Ah! I see. My bad!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

My ex-wife of 35 years was raised to believe in ghosts and spirits. I chose to ignore it for a long time because she was absolutely gorgeous looking, sexually brave and learned to become a fabulous lover. Combined with the fact that we both were raging with hormones and were anxious to pass our genes along. Plus she followed me into the born-again movement and I figured that would put the ghost nonsense in check. It didn't really, she just suppressed it until later on in the relationship. I was able to shield my kids from it for the most part. That said, I was just as bad by raising the family in a religious cult myself. I've come to understand many of us to do the religious thing as young parents because the conservative group commiseration lifestyle feels safe.

We've both since moved on. She still believes in ghosts and spirits and I expect both of us are now probably asexual.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Ghosts

Post by LarsMac »

Ghosts are not necessarily about religion, AHSO!

Life is not about religion, either, though you seem thoroughly haunted by it.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1514447 wrote: Ghosts are not necessarily about religion, AHSO!

Life is not about religion, either, though you seem thoroughly haunted by it.there's no difference. And no, I'm not haunted by anything. You're getting into that defensive posture you take on. Relax, they're big girls.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
magentaflame

Ghosts

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1514440 wrote: I sense things moving dark figures peeking out at me banging of pans and if I had a cat then it would hiss at nothing. What I don't do is think there's any possible supernatural explanation for it. We live in a natural world, there are no supernatural extras, conscious spiritual entities carrying the memories and personality of the dead are a failed hypothesis left over from unenlightened times. Or does "ghosts" mean something else in this thread?

And why do people see ghosts with clothes on? Do dead clothes have an afterlife too? Much of what I wear may look that way but they're still the original clo.

What about people buried naked? Oh the shame!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Ted

Ghosts

Post by Ted »

Tazzy that is an interesting question. It does ask abut things for which science is not equipped to deal with. It is an interesting phenomena.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Ted;1514462 wrote: Tazzy that is an interesting question. It does ask abut things for which science is not equipped to deal with. It is an interesting phenomena.What are the limits of science, Ted?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Ghosts

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1514449 wrote: there's no difference. And no, I'm not haunted by anything. You're getting into that defensive posture you take on. Relax, they're big girls.

You must be a real bundle of fun at a campfire, or Halloween party.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1514470 wrote: You must be a real bundle of fun at a campfire, or Halloween party.I am actually, but the conversation doesn't need to be asinine to have fun. Adults can laugh at real life too.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Well I doubt Tazzy will bother to come back to add any more :rolleyes:
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

I've always thought the goal of adulthood was to increase intelligence instead of abiding foolishness. But that's just me.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Ghosts

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1514473 wrote: Well I doubt Tazzy will bother to come back to add any more :rolleyes:

Well, I hope she does.

Though the dark figures I encounter peeking at me from the shadows around here tend to be Coyotes, and Owls, and such.

We don't dare let Pitstop out alone at night. She could end up being dinner.

I met a ghost, or two in my travels.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1514475 wrote: I've always thought the goal of adulthood was to increase intelligence instead of abiding foolishness. But that's just me.

So it's better to become an arrogant twerp than just walk on by and leave a thread alone that isn't relevant to you in any way shape or form.

If your only argument is that I don't have any intelligence then you carry on believing that.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514478 wrote: So it's better to become an arrogant twerp than just walk on by and leave a thread alone that isn't relevant to you in any way shape or form.

If your only argument is that I don't have any intelligence then you carry on believing that.But it is relevant to me in several ways, I thought I made that quite clear.

And I never said what you think I said in your last sentence. Those are your words.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac;1514476 wrote: Well, I hope she does.

Though the dark figures I encounter peeking at me from the shadows around here tend to be Coyotes, and Owls, and such.

We don't dare let Pitstop out alone at night. She could end up being dinner.

I met a ghost, or two in my travels.

I've seen many, and many that I've tried to find a logical explanation for and failed. I'm curious, I have asked for evidence and had mediums I have never met in my life tell me things about my life and about my ancestors that research has proven to be true.

How do they do that? And no, we weren't listened to on the way into a venue and I can also tell the difference between someone working psychically and someone working with spirit.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Oh, now I get ya! You mean to say that if I can't forward the conversation as you'd like it to proceed and not introduce a different perspective, I'm arrogant?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1514479 wrote: But it is relevant to me in several ways, I thought I made that quite clear.

And I never said what you think I said in your last sentence. Those are your words.

So what exactly does

"I've always thought the goal of adulthood was to increase intelligence instead of abiding foolishness" mean then?

To me that means people who believe in spirit are fools and as adults should have grown out of such tendencies

Where did you make it clear? In your post about you and your wife that I read as totally sarcastic ?
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1514481 wrote: Oh, now I get ya! You mean to say that if I can't forward the conversation as you'd like it to proceed and not introduce a different perspective, I'm arrogant?

More sarcasm, well done old chap.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514482 wrote: So what exactly does

"I've always thought the goal of adulthood was to increase intelligence instead of abiding foolishness" mean then?

To me that means people who believe in spirit are fools and as adults should have grown out of such tendenciesNo, it means that believing in ghosts and spirits is foolish. There's a difference between what I said and what you thought I said.

Betty Boop;1514482 wrote: Where did you make it clear? In your post about you and your wife that I read as totally sarcastic ? Ex-wife! I can't control how a post is interpreted, I can only control how I type it.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1514484 wrote: No, it means that believing in ghosts and spirits is foolish. There's a difference between what I said and what you thought I said.

I can't control how a post is interpreted, I can only control how I type it.

And that's fine, I'm foolish.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514483 wrote: More sarcasm, well done old chap.There's not one bit of sarcasm in that post. You're angry right now.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514485 wrote: And that's fine, I'm foolish.Quit taking it personally. The belief is foolish, not you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Ahso!;1514486 wrote: There's not one bit of sarcasm in that post. You're angry right now.

No, I would have used the angry smilie if I was.

I find your posts absurd.

That post back there about the wife, sorry EX wife, what is the waxing lyrical all about, why include the fact she 'learned' how to be a great lover? Was that learned under your expert tuition? Just how big is your head anyway?
Clodhopper

Ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

I don't know. I've not had a clear ghostly experience - I'm rather thankful to say. On the other hand I do appear to be sensitive to vibrations most other people can't feel at all. So how can I say that these things aren't real, objectively, just out of my personal sensory range?

It's an area where I keep an open mind. There's an awful lot of tosh talked but when people who's sense I have come to respect claim personal experience that's different. It doesn't make me a believer but it removes certainty of disbelief.

edit: that means the idea of ghosts has gone from impossible to possible (not on this post, generally over time and a number of people). That's a very big deal.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

And, BTW, your beef is with spot. His post contained way more sarcasm than did any of mine.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514488 wrote: No, I would have used the angry smilie if I was.Perhaps there's a bit of denial involved?

Betty Boop;1514488 wrote: I find your posts absurd.Oh well!

Betty Boop;1514488 wrote: That post back there about the wife, sorry EX wife, what is the waxing lyrical all about, why include the fact she 'learned' how to be a great lover?Tolerance of the beliefs, my dear sista, tolerance. Betty Boop;1514488 wrote: Was that learned under your expert tuition?We both contributed equally, I'd say. Betty Boop;1514488 wrote: Just how big is your head anyway?Not very if you knew me at all.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1514489 wrote: I don't know. I've not had a clear ghostly experience - I'm rather thankful to say. On the other hand I do appear to be sensitive to vibrations most other people can't feel at all. So how can I say that these things aren't real, objectively, just out of my personal sensory range?

It's an area where I keep an open mind. There's an awful lot of tosh talked but when people who's sense I have come to respect claim personal experience that's different. It doesn't make me a believer but it removes certainty of disbelief.

Open mind is good, it's what I've had for years and now I sit and meditate and tell people things whilst thinking where the bloody hell did that come from :thinking: and they do the same for me. It's a group of like minded people who are trying it out to see what happens. We're not ghost hunters out looking for ghosts, many of us don't 'see' spirit with our eyes we just sense them.
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Hopefullly Tazzy will come back and post, I tried to draw a line earlier and failed.

Cats are sensitive to something and they also exist in spirit. Not sure how a circle member would know that I used to have two white cats and one in particular that used to sit on my left shoulder and nuzzle in to my neck. She then gave me the name of a place, Zennor as evidence she said.

The white cat that sat on my shoulder was called Bell, short for where she came from Bellowal. The other white cat was called Zennor as she'd come from Zennor.

First sitting in a circle, never met the lady before and she didn't move within the groups of people I did. And no, we'd not been having a conversation about pets in any of the time before the circle began.
Clodhopper

Ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

...whatever ghosts are, whatever spirits are...

And that could range from usually untapped aspects of self to unlimited aspects of external reality. chuckle. It's nice to be alive when we are finding out so much about our physical universe but I'd love to be around when they definitively show what these phenomena are - whatever it turns out to be it will be fascinating.

Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

From 1964 to 2015 James Randi offered a challenge to any medium who could demonstrate their so-called abilities under controlled and observed conditions. Although there were at least one thousand takers none could earn the money, which eventually increased to $1,000,000.00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Milli ... _Challenge

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Clodhopper

Ghosts

Post by Clodhopper »

I think you had a bad dream and did it to yourself .

ZAP

Ghosts

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1514475 wrote: I've always thought the goal of adulthood was to increase intelligence instead of abiding foolishness. But that's just me.

Does that mean that you refuse to consider any viewpoint that doesn't agree with your concept of the "real" world.

Where would we be if people had refused to believe that the earth was round or that a flying machine was possible or travel to the moon, talking into a "thing" that you could hold in your hand and have it heard in Europe, Asia and see the person you are talking to? ABSURD! Skeptics said many, many things were foolish and were proven wrong.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514494 wrote: Hopefullly Tazzy will come back and post, I tried to draw a line earlier and failed.

Cats are sensitive to something and they also exist in spirit. Not sure how a circle member would know that I used to have two white cats and one in particular that used to sit on my left shoulder and nuzzle in to my neck. She then gave me the name of a place, Zennor as evidence she said.

The white cat that sat on my shoulder was called Bell, short for where she came from Bellowal. The other white cat was called Zennor as she'd come from Zennor.

First sitting in a circle, never met the lady before and she didn't move within the groups of people I did. And no, we'd not been having a conversation about pets in any of the time before the circle began.She found information on you somehow. The internet is a big place with lots of info about us that we forget is out there. There are other ways too. but be rest assured she found info on you somehow. And she knew she'd be talking to you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

ZAP;1514517 wrote: Does that mean that you refuse to consider any viewpoint that doesn't agree with your concept of the "real" world.Not in the least. Until someone can explain what spirits are and a whole lot more about them, I'll stick to what we know for sure, and what we know for sure is that spirits and ghosts are nonsensical. Show me the incontrovertible evidence that we have another person living inside of us that lives on after we die. How can that even make any sense whatsoever? Which one is making the decisions? We'd all behave schizophrenic. Spirits defy what the function of the brain is. What about organs of a spirit? Ridiculous.

ZAP;1514517 wrote: Where would we be if people had refused to believe that the earth was round or that a flying machine was possible or travel to the moon, talking into a "thing" that you could hold in your hand and have it heard in Europe, Asia and see the person you are talking to? ABSURD! Skeptics said many, many things were foolish and were proven wrong.This use of the word "skeptic" is backward. It is because of skeptics that we no longer have to live by the rules of religious dogma. It was skeptics who challenged the flat earth idea.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Ghosts

Post by ZAP »

You said:

"Not in the least. Until someone can explain what spirits are and a whole lot more about them, I'll stick to what we know for sure, and what we know for sure is that spirits and ghosts are nonsensical. Show me the incontrovertible evidence that we have another person living inside of us that lives on after we die. How can that even make any sense whatsoever? Which one is making the decisions? We'd all behave schizophrenic. Spirits defy what the function of the brain is. What about organs of a spirit? Ridiculous."

Does that mean you don't think you have a spirit? A soul? An intellect? Does that die when your physical body dies?
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

ZAP;1514526 wrote: You said:

"Not in the least. Until someone can explain what spirits are and a whole lot more about them, I'll stick to what we know for sure, and what we know for sure is that spirits and ghosts are nonsensical. Show me the incontrovertible evidence that we have another person living inside of us that lives on after we die. How can that even make any sense whatsoever? Which one is making the decisions? We'd all behave schizophrenic. Spirits defy what the function of the brain is. What about organs of a spirit? Ridiculous."

Does that mean you don't think you have a spirit? A soul? An intellect? Does that die when your physical body dies?No, I don't have a spirit. Why even ask that question after what I posted? A soul? other than to define my experiences as "soul" - no. Intellect? WTF does that even have to do with this? Intellect is in the brain, so yes, I have intellect. All my organs will cease to function in death.

What exactly is your point?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Good job life isn't black and white, a soul lives on. How many people after death remember the tradition of family/nurses/carers opening a window? That's an interesting one.

I may not be back for a while I have a lot of research and note taking to do so I can throw information at people at random. I'm on my second A4 notebook this morning and off to buy a suitcase to cart it all around in.

Gosh I hope I can find the right book at the right moment to give the right person the information :rolleyes:
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Who's being sarcastic now?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Ghosts

Post by LarsMac »

Well, this thread has certainly gone south in a hurry.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Ghosts

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1514565 wrote: Well, this thread has certainly gone south in a hurry.

Yeah. I'm outta here!
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

A discussion might have been nice.

No one says you have to believe.

You can come and state you don't believe, fine but why keep coming back ?

No I won't have a go at Spot he made a point and he left within reason, he hasn't trolled the thread.

There maybe some here who do believe who won't speak now.

Twice now the thread has become about sex, I'm still trying to get my head round the first post where the ex wife's capabilities as a lover is in anyway shape or form relevant to ghosts.

You couldn't make it up.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514568 wrote: A discussion might have been nice.

No one says you have to believe.

You can come and state you don't believe, fine but why keep coming back ?Differing perspectives are only allowed one post and no follow-ups or responses?

Betty Boop;1514568 wrote: No I won't have a go at Spot he made a point and he left within reason, he hasn't trolled the thread.Spot's mildly introverted!

I didn't say you should have a go at anyone, all I did was point out that your accusations of sarcasm were aimed at the wrong person.

Betty Boop;1514568 wrote: Twice now the thread has become about sex,Not quite correct, BB. Sex was part of an explanation both times. Betty Boop;1514568 wrote: I'm still trying to get my head round the first post where the ex wife's capabilities as a lover is in anyway shape or form relevant to ghosts.I've already explained this to you. One more try: a very satisfying sexual relationship kept me from criticising or otherwise acting on the beliefs she had.

Betty Boop;1514568 wrote: You couldn't make it up.You just did because you've misrepresented just about everything I posted.

Cliches are not an effective form of argument unless acknowledged beforehand, and rarely then.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Betty Boop

Ghosts

Post by Betty Boop »

Do you ever give up?

22 posts in this thread, and I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who can see that all you have done is mocked.

Over and out Ahso. Sleep well.
Ahso!

Ghosts

Post by Ahso! »

Betty Boop;1514580 wrote: Do you ever give up?

22 posts in this thread, and I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who can see that all you have done is mocked.

Over and out Ahso. Sleep well.As long as you require me to defend myself, I will!

I've learned throughout the years that it's better to drip information in posts when possible, otherwise, people tend to lose track.

Good night, sweet lady. I do mean that, BB.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Chit Chat”