Fill in the grid 10-2-2017

Henrick

Post by Henrick »

The rules are simple. A crossword-like grid will be given to you with a few letters already inserted in the grid. Your mission, should you feel up to the challenge, is to fill the rest of the puzzle with the following restrictions:

1) Your words must read left to right and top to bottom.

2) Words cannot be repeated (you can use a word only once in a grid)

3) Words must come from the CSW 15 Lexicon, which is the Official International English Scrabble word list compiled by Harper-Collins. You can check for the validity of a word at https://www.anagrammer.com/ or at the Collins-Harper Scrabble Word finder at

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/

4) There is ONLY 1 SOLUTION to the puzzle !

Attached files
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Okay. I have a 100 year old oxford dictionary, four modern dictionarys. There is no word Y_V_ _ _. And i cant find that so called scrabble. "List".

Another clue please.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

The Collins word-checker at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/scrab ... rd-finder/ guarantees you a positive yes or no - I just used it on YEVING and checked. The word list that checker uses is online to download at and includes

YEVING "YEVE, (obsolete) to give [v]"

and you'll see a download icon at the top right of the screen so you can save a local copy to browse.

I think it's a bogus word. Nowhere in the OED is there an example of yeving, Collins has invented it. There is yeve, to give, and there is yeven, given - they're alternate spellings from Old English - but tacking on the English suffix "ing" to create yeving is not something I'd care to do myself. Nor would I like to use yeve or yeven either.

The Scrabble rules don't say a valid answer has to be a word in English, all they say is that it has to appear in the official word list. YEVING does. Scrabble stinks in consequence. There definitely has to be an official word list but the list maintainers should be displayed in a pillory for putting an invented word like that into play.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I totally agree. Its true language is a living entity constantly changing......but to mix the two? Thats not right.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

I was a bit harsh saying YEVING has never been used, it's not absolutely true. Chaucer used it [1]. And there's a sermon which looks 14th century which says:

Thi soule is clad in fowl clothis whan it is wrappid in wrecchednes of synfull surfettis of gullyng, of gloteny in etyng and drinking, in sluggy slouth of ydilnes and to vanytese yeving, or in lothly lust of lechory, vnlefull desyryng.

Well worth keeping, that.

The Will of King Henry VII refers to "The Ordre of the yeving of th' Abbot's Othe" - how to swear in an abbot, perhaps, if you ever have the chance.

There was a law in England, since repealed: "An Acte yeving auctoritie to the Lord Deputie and others to take ordres for the restreint of hides and yarne out of the land, and for barking or tannyng of leather within the same."

[1]: as, for instance, in

All thise

thinges, after that they ben gret or smale, engreg-

gen the conscience of man or woman. And eke

the preest that is thy juge, may the better be avised

of his jugement in yeving of penance, and that shal

be after thy contrition. For understond wel, that

after the time that a man hath defouled his bap-

tisme by sinne, if he wol come to salvation, ther is

non other way but by penance, and shrifte, and sa

tisfaction ; and namely by tho two, if ther be a con-

fcssour to whom he may shrive him, and that he

first be veray contrite and repentant, and the

thridde if he have lif to performe it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Lothly lust of lechory...... im going to use that!

Interestingly.... the grammar of 'ing' and 'yng'
Henrick

Post by Henrick »

Here is the solution

Attached files

Return to “Word Games”