I'd order footwear by mail...wouldn't shoe?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

A week ago I was browsing eBay and I saw a really good-looking pair of men’s shoes, from China and for only about 20 bucks.

I ordered and in less than a week the shoes arrived. They looked and felt great!

The only problem is, they STINK to high heaven, rubber and leather smells, I put them in the garage overnight but this morning they still smell - BAD!

Any suggestions on how to eliminate the odor? Will it go away by itself within a few more days? If not, how can I get rid of the two separate odors?

Can’t wait to start wearing the shoes, they’re good-looking and comfortable.
spot

Post by spot »

It's the same with cars, they arrive from the showroom reeking of newly-cured leather, wood polish and warm oil. Well, they do where I come from anyway.

I'd imagine the reaction to the shoe-smell you describe varies depending on who's doing the smelling. To a Chinese youth it may equate with success. You might even be able to buy it as an aerosol. America has had longer to get used to footwear consumerism but there are parts of Lancashire where the majority only had access to clogs back when I was a lad, consequently the smell of fresh leather on crepe rubber soles still works for me.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm sorry. All I can think of are fish insoles...not much help in reality...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I would never buy shoes online, anything that is critical to try on, whatever they cost is a no no.

Hang them outside for the wind to blow through them, fresh air works wonders.

Have you considered the smell may be added afterwards to enhance the faux leather shoes ? Leather shoes might smell of leather, but never over powering enough to STINK.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Vinegar and baking soda come to mind, but the actual application has slipped from memory, so care would be recommended.

I know that Tomato juice seems to work with clothing after a Skunk attack. You might try that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

A skunk attack is something ill never know.

Bought a pair of boots yesterday for work.(i hear its always important to buy shoes in pairs..... who knew?)

$180 later.....they are leather with no smell at all.....ive been robbed!
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1511999 wrote: Vinegar and baking soda come to mind, but the actual application has slipped from memory, so care would be recommended.

I know that Tomato juice seems to work with clothing after a Skunk attack. You might try that.

Don't know why, but baking soda was my first thought. Viniger, well, it is one of those things sounds about right, kinda some home remedy.

Best Baking Soda and Vinegar Cleaning Solutions

Good luck, keep in touch.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Since they feel great, wear them on solitary jaunts through the country for awhile. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I ordered shoes from New Balance, several times. Back in the late 20th Century, they made excellent shoes.

By 2005, however, their quality seemed to diminish. I'd order two pairs, and end up sending one pair back, for some reason, or another. Finally, in 2010 or 2011, I ordered two Pair (a pair of pairs?)

and within a week had sent both back.

They are no longer on my approved vendors list.

I now go into the Shoe store over on Main Street, and buy directly. Merrell is my current approved Vendor for shoes, but I have yet to try them online.

I spent years buying cheap shoes, and my feet shall probably never forgive me. I now pay dearly for very comfy shoes, and regret not a dime spent.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

"The late 20th century" ? bugger me that's 17 years ago, who would have thought it ?

My ultimate luxury item would be tailor made hand crafted bespoke shoes, one day maybe.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

Churches used to, I've no idea whether they still do.

Do you not have a last any longer?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

LarsMac;1512013 wrote: I now go into the Shoe store over on Main Street, and buy directly. That's the best way of course. The Chinese shoes caught my eye, I thought I'd take a chance.

After sitting by an open window all last night, the shoes now aren't so smelly. They fit well and will fit and feel even better with an insole added. So I took a chance and it seems to have worked out OK.

As an old boss of mine (after-school job) once claimed, there's no business like shoe business.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Mark Aspam;1512042 wrote: That's the best way of course. The Chinese shoes caught my eye, I thought I'd take a chance.

After sitting by an open window all last night, the shoes now aren't so smelly. They fit well and will fit and feel even better with an insole added. So I took a chance and it seems to have worked out OK.

As an old boss of mine (after-school job) once claimed, there's no business like shoe business.

Well, yeah. Optimum result is to end up with shoes that feel comfy, and didn't cost a lot. If you can deal with the aroma, you're ahead in the game.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1512013 wrote: I ordered shoes from New Balance, several times. Back in the late 20th Century, they made excellent shoes.

By 2005, however, their quality seemed to diminish. I'd order two pairs, and end up sending one pair back, for some reason, or another. Finally, in 2010 or 2011, I ordered two Pair (a pair of pairs?)

and within a week had sent both back.

They are no longer on my approved vendors list.

I now go into the Shoe store over on Main Street, and buy directly. Merrell is my current approved Vendor for shoes, but I have yet to try them online.

I spent years buying cheap shoes, and my feet shall probably never forgive me. I now pay dearly for very comfy shoes, and regret not a dime spent.

Got a pair of merrell walking boots when they first came to the UK. Really comfortable but absolutely no use in scotland it was like walking around wearing sponges on the feet and the sole was deadly on a grassy slope. . Now at least they are goretex lined but the soles are still crap. Bought hi tech recently used to be a rubbish make but the really expensive ones bought in a sale seem OK.
minks

Post by minks »

try filling a jar, cup or bowl with vinegar, put both the shoes and container of vinegar into the bag (careful not to spill liquid) and tie up bag securely around shoes and container of vinegar. Let sit a few days.

No guarantees, it did work for me many years ago with a suit that was worn by a smoker and it was refreshed.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

minks;1512123 wrote: No guarantees, it did work for me many years ago with a suit that was worn by a smoker and it was refreshed.

If there's a photo of minksy wearing a leather suit I'm quite sure it should be shared.
minks

Post by minks »

hmmmmm does my motorcycle gear count??? lol

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

Golly. Definitely.
minks

Post by minks »

will work on that one for ya spot

been to blazin' hot here to put on any leather wear mind you.

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

You could always leave a few buttons loose.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I have to get my footwear online - there's no other option - at least not in my price range. You see, I have Size 17 feet, and even the grossly overpriced Outsize shops, such as High & Mighty, rarely go that large. Surprisingly, socks are far more difficult to source, as most of the time they only go up to size 11 - 13 if you're lucky. However, I can get most of my clothing needs from Jacamo. There was one time when I needed some decent boots for the motorbike, and I came across someone on eBay who was in the process of closing down his shoe shop business & had a pair of size 17 Uggs in stock, which he'd never been able to shift, so I managed to pick them up for about £15 - an absolute bargain - real good quality, and strong - saved my foot once when I came off & was trapped under the bike. Without them my ankle would most likely have been crushed beyond repair.

The thing is, that although my feet may be large, they are in proportion to the rest of my body, so they don't look particularly large, so I also have the same sort of problem with the rest of my clothing needs - and the same solution - Jacamo (who, incidentally, cover all sizes, are very competetively priced, good quality & have found them to give excellent customer service).
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

FourPart;1512317 wrote: I have to get my footwear online - there's no other option - at least not in my price range. You see, I have Size 17 feet...I worked with a guy who had similar foot size, he told me that he dealt with a place that specialized in that, he would pick out a style and then he had to wait A YEAR for delivery. When the shoes finally arrived, he would then place an order for the following year etc.

I'm only a 10 1/2 but I have problems with ordering Chinese shoes, apparently the Chinese have smaller feet, but the pair I referred to in the opening post are now just fine, several people have already complimented me on how great they look!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I also need to remember that if I order from America I need to add a size or 2, as they have a different grade of sizes, so would class as an America 18 - 19. As far as proper motorbike boots are concerned, Harley Davison do make them that size and surprisingly very reasonably priced, but the shipping & import duties are another matter.

Return to “General Chit Chat”