The Manchester Arena bombing

Discuss the latest political news.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1509429 wrote: Whats happening in Manchester?

“As we got outside, lots of police came racing towards the area and the whole of the Victoria train station was surrounded by police.” She said there were people “screaming and crying everywhere shouting that there’s a bomb and also people were saying there’s a shooter”.

Dane said police were blocking off roads in the area. “There are sirens zooming everywhere.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... rt-england

I had no idea Manchester had an arena.

An arena is not the sort of place where one would expect to find explosives.

"Video footage shows a flash of light at the moment an explosion was reported at the Manchester Arena", says the BBC, in which case current discussion of a balloon is bogus.

What's immediately obvious is that any official crowd control at the event has been a catastrophe.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

It does now sound like a nail bomb, yes. I don't see why the bomber would have stayed to watch it explode though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Oh... havnt heard that. Nail bomb though? Thats pretty rudimentry for a bomb these days. Do they have cctv pics of a person waiting for it to go off?

Does it sound like a terrorist kind of thing? Or a fanatic stalker? Or a thrill kill? Considering whoever has done it would have to know there would be a lot of young girls and tweens.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

****! Just saw a couple of young teens footage of themselveswhen theyve heard the bomb go off.

How horribly distressing for them.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1509437 wrote: Oh... havnt heard that. Nail bomb though? Thats pretty rudimentry for a bomb these days. Do they have cctv pics of a person waiting for it to go off?

I'd call anything hand-delivered with shrapnel embedded a nail bomb. I didn't see why a "suicide bomber" would have waited around for it to go off. I expect it was done to polarize society like every other explosion this century.
spot

Post by spot »

Given that we're now in the middle of another General Election and no statement has yet been made about the bomber's motive, it seems possible the Manchester explosion is election-related. The last time a bomb went off in Manchester it was Irish dissidents twenty years back who gave an hour's warning to evacuate the area, thereby avoiding deaths.

They're very slow releasing information today.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Shouldn't this tragic event warrant a dedicated thread, it's not an observation or an aside, and maybe Spot's comment in the Jo Cox thread might be more appropriate in the same thread.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

there. done.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1509447 wrote: there. done.

Thanks, nicely done.

It chills me to read the suggested reaction to such events.

I am having a battle of conscience whether I ought to continue following Katie Hopkins on Twitter, the vile woman. Her earlier deleted Tweet had asked for "The final solution"..... unbelievably.

The far right mark it down as another argument to nuke Saudi (My loose interpretation)

The middle Englander seeking answers looks to 'experts' (that gobby bloke down the pub that worked for MI5) who 'know' more than the rest of us.

They reckon we should lock em all up in isolation, or send them all home with their families, monitor everybody's communications, cancel ALL human rights, issue Identity Cards to all.

Is it another question without an answer ?

The answer does NOT include a history lesson, although that will have some bearing, what is needed now is a solution from where we are now.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm not even going to look at a news report until the weekend. Terror attacks should not be a spectator sport.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I was reading a story on the BBC about Cabbies offering free rides to help get people home or to find their family members and such.

So, far that seemed the most relevant story to come out of the thing.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

22 dead, 23 if you couunt the bomber, 59 injured the bomb went off just as people were leaving an ariana grande concert. ISIS are claiming responsibility. A lot of the dead and injured are teenagers.

Manchester Arena bombing: Everything we know about the suicide attack that killed at least 22 people | The Independent
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Ummmm start the thread with your post spot, i do not want to be on the main home page heading this thread. Especially this thread.

Bruv, it is an asides/observation to me. Something on the news at 6 in the morning that has some interest. (If you want to be outraged fine! Start your own thread)

Spot please take my name off this thread. If I wanted to of started a thread on bombings i would have. I do not for obvious reasons .
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1509478 wrote: Ummmm start the thread with your post spot, i do not want to be on the main home page heading this thread. Especially this thread.
There. I'm now the thread starter.

Not everyone would have worked out how, that was sleight of hand. Deleting the opening post usually deletes the entire thread.

The UK terror threat level has been raised to its highest level of "critical", meaning further attacks may be imminent, Theresa May has said.

The move came after investigators were unable to rule out whether Manchester bombing suspect Salman Abedi acted alone, the prime minister said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40023488

I think Ms May has toned down what she has been told. It seems a lot more likely that the Manchester bomb indicates a group at work now in the UK.

As I noted earlier, we're in the middle of an election campaign, that's not likely to be a coincidence.

A teen-focused Arena concert isn't just supremely soft to hit, it's also a very Western-style event which wouldn't be countenanced in any constitutionally Islamic country. An extremist planner just drew a deliberate line and invited a lot of Muslims to choose which side they occupy. Most, I hope, would prefer more Arena concerts. I have a ticket for one next month.

I only very rarely offer a ForumGarden thread an opinion piece from Counterpunch because nobody could pretend it's a centrist news outlet. I will nevertheless, given the relevance to the thread, commend Manchester Attacks: What Price Hypocrisy?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Thankyou.

As far as suicide vests go, the experts were saying they tend not to make them singularly. There might be three to five out there. Hence the "Critical" I suppose.

Just read your link there.

What struck me about Trump telling the audience of Arab and other leaders the other day was the faces. Trump told them to drive the terrorists from everywhere but the outhouse........ but his last call was...." drive them from the earth" .....so essentially kill them.

But heres the thing. If they were to drive the terrorists from the earth ....who are the terrorists according to these countries? Im pretty sure America is one of them.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

magentaflame;1509478 wrote:

Bruv, it is an asides/observation to me. Something on the news at 6 in the morning that has some interest. (If you want to be outraged fine! Start your own thread)

Our first cross words.

Deaths and injuries, kids flesh embedded with metal shreds isn't an aside to me..................if you hadn't commented I would have started a thread.....sorry.

Hypocrisy is rife, couldn't understand why Melania didn't cover her head in Saudi, yet covered it for the Pope today, they make deals for 460 billion dollars selling arms to feed the American need to maintain their presence to protect the freedom their arms sales threaten.........think that makes sense.....if you wrote a book with that as the plot they wouldn't believe it.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Bruv;1509494 wrote: Our first cross words.

Deaths and injuries, kids flesh embedded with metal shreds isn't an aside to me..................if you hadn't commented I would have started a thread.....sorry.

Hypocrisy is rife, couldn't understand why Melania didn't cover her head in Saudi, yet covered it for the Pope today, they make deals for 460 billion dollars selling arms to feed the American need to maintain their presence to protect the freedom their arms sales threaten.........think that makes sense.....if you wrote a book with that as the plot they wouldn't believe it.
Apparently it is required at the vatican if female meeting the pope, but not in saudi
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

flopstock;1509510 wrote: Apparently it is required at the vatican if female meeting the pope, but not in saudi

I forgot I mentioned this here and have started a thread about it.........I am a air head aren't I?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bruv;1509494 wrote: Our first cross words.

No doubt, but i cant be seen to be starting threads to do with terrorism anymore.... hope you understand.

I dont know much about meeting the pope. But to enter a church in Italy i was required to have elbows shoulders and knees covered. Bascillicas and Cathedrals head coverings were preferred but not compulsary.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Interesting, American law enforcement authorities leaked important pictures of the English law enforcement authorities investigation of the bombing to the New York Times. As a result they are no longer sharing anymore info with them.

I find this interesting because of the time differences we got the news of the blast about half an hour after it happened on our 6 am news. Now what i found confusing was "Us authorities are saying" not an hour after they began reporting on it. Why? How? And why? Why would American authorities be getting more info at the same time we're getting it live? And why is it being filtered through them when we are getting it live with australian reporters on the ground at the scene live? What the heck is the American media up to?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

The images made public by the Americans were forensic photographs for information among security intelligence services.

Showing the details so clearly could possibly help in the construction of another bomb as I understand it.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

The point is..... they leaked the information. It was not meant for the public to see. Nor should it be during an investigation. Hence they are mot sharing any longer.

Nice to see the queen at the hospital though.

Have they identified everyone yet?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Everyone is accounted for as far as I know.

Theresa May is steaming about the leak, TV pundit reckons Trump will say that's what he has to put up with every day.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Leaking that your President is lying to everyone about everything is one thing. Giving information passed by a friendly intelligence service that has no relevance to your country isn't just a breach of trust, it's pointless. What does anyone gain, except the terrorists? At present the only ones who gain it seems to me are the Trump mob, because he can now say it isn't just him, it's damaging the country's security which it is if allies won't share information. But maybe that's too conspiracy theory...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Clodhopper;1509598 wrote: Leaking that your President is lying to everyone about everything is one thing. Giving information passed by a friendly intelligence service that has no relevance to your country isn't just a breach of trust, it's pointless. What does anyone gain, except the terrorists? At present the only ones who gain it seems to me are the Trump mob, because he can now say it isn't just him, it's damaging the country's security which it is if allies won't share information. But maybe that's too conspiracy theory...

If trump can turn it around to be about him....it will be a conpiracy .

The problem i have with the leak is, the pieces are raw pieces, they are pathology pictures they still have bits of human on them. Thats not right. And the New York times should know that. Its reputation suicide.

Return to “Current Political Events”