Unlikely assertions

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Unlikely assertions

Post by spot »

I just found the following on a web page.it has become commonplace to wear leggings instead of pants in almost every informal social situation.

Even discounting the problems of translation from whatever language that's written in, I claim it is unlikely to be true.

My personal testimony is that I have never owned a legging, much less worn a legging, not in the privacy of my own room behind locked doors, not in a retail outlet, not on public transport. Nowhere.

Who are these dubious phantom barbarians? In which horde are they alleged to skulk?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Unlikely assertions

Post by gmc »

It's probably an american website written by someone with nothing better to worry about. leggings or tight jeans or trousers who cares. I do actually have leggings though- long jiohns for hillwalking in winter.

My approach to style is to have no style at all.
Bryn Mawr

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1508349 wrote: It's probably an american website written by someone with nothing better to worry about. leggings or tight jeans or trousers who cares. I do actually have leggings though- long jiohns for hillwalking in winter.

My approach to style is to have no style at all.

Longjohns under jeans is one thing, leggins as an outer garment is a whole different kettle of fish.
Clodhopper

Unlikely assertions

Post by Clodhopper »

...reading that in English rather than American my poor little mind is still wrestling with the idea of substituting leggings for underpants...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snowfire

Unlikely assertions

Post by Snowfire »

It's an appropriate attire for women but I think I'd disown any male friend or family member if they wore them in public...along with crocs and sandals with socks
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

Snatching a sentence from the WWW without some context isn't worth worrying about.

Was it historical?

Was it a fetishist site ?

What sort of social situation ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Unlikely assertions

Post by spot »

Airliners.net

Aviation Forums

Civil Aviation

"UA Denies Boarding to Non-Rev Girl in Leggings, Social Media Revolts".

Though given the generalized nature of the quote, I don't see how context adds any useful information.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

Noting a previous post when you told us that you change spellings to suite who you are talking to.......should that not be "Generalised" ?

I think you will find context is extremely relevant.
spot

Unlikely assertions

Post by spot »

Robert E Lee was Generalised. I was speaking of generalization.
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

Oh.....I sea.
gmc

Unlikely assertions

Post by gmc »

spot;1508364 wrote: Airliners.net

Aviation Forums

Civil Aviation

"UA Denies Boarding to Non-Rev Girl in Leggings, Social Media Revolts".

Though given the generalized nature of the quote, I don't see how context adds any useful information.

It's on a par with making women wear headscarves.
Mark Aspam

Unlikely assertions

Post by Mark Aspam »

You may be legging behind the times.

Clodhopper

Unlikely assertions

Post by Clodhopper »

The only way I can see it working is if you were to tie one legging round the waist and tie the other loincloth style between the legs front and back. But then to stop it just slipping off you'd have to haul the waistband up over your shoulders and end up with an impromptu mankini.

Informal social occasions in the the US seem more demanding than I thought...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Saint_

Unlikely assertions

Post by Saint_ »

Bryn Mawr;1508354 wrote: Longjohns under jeans is one thing, leggins as an outer garment is a whole different kettle of fish.

There's always some absolutely tasteless and stupid clothing trend going around, usually with the young adults. The idea is for it to shock and confuse the older generation, thereby giving the teens and young adults a sense of rebellion and independence. Never mind how ridiculous they look! That's the idea!

In the 1970s, it was long hair on guys, hiking boots, and denim overalls. In the 1980s it was bike shorts and mullets, especially with wildly exaggerated primary colors. In the 1990s, it was the "grundge" look with flannel shirts unbuttoned and hanging out, the more unwashed the better. Earlier this century came the "sagging and bagging" look of oversized clothing and pants down under the bottom with underwear showing. Now it's "leggings" and skin-tight jeans...on men or women. I just quietly laugh, sigh, and get over it because...who am I to judge?:wah:

Attached files
gmc

Unlikely assertions

Post by gmc »

Saint_;1508416 wrote: There's always some absolutely tasteless and stupid clothing trend going around, usually with the young adults. The idea is for it to shock and confuse the older generation, thereby giving the teens and young adults a sense of rebellion and independence. Never mind how ridiculous they look! That's the idea!

In the 1970s, it was long hair on guys, hiking boots, and denim overalls. In the 1980s it was bike shorts and mullets, especially with wildly exaggerated primary colors. In the 1990s, it was the "grundge" look with flannel shirts unbuttoned and hanging out, the more unwashed the better. Earlier this century came the "sagging and bagging" look of oversized clothing and pants down under the bottom with underwear showing. Now it's "leggings" and skin-tight jeans...on men or women. I just quietly laugh, sigh, and get over it because...who am I to judge?:wah:

What on earth are you babbling about. the 1970's started with glam rock amd ended with punk

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1970s ... 3uAy0a1hbM:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1970+ ... 0&bih=1011

Oh wait a minute were you a bay city rollers fan

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bay+c ... 0&bih=1011

I'm one of the lost generation - post hippy and pre punk.
Saint_

Unlikely assertions

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1508418 wrote:

Oh wait a minute were you a bay city rollers fan

Yes..to my eternal shame..

I'm one of the lost generation - post hippy and pre punk.

So you never wore outrageous clothes or styles? Yeah right.
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

The thought of my first winklepickers still embarrasses me.
spot

Unlikely assertions

Post by spot »

My lad wears blue suede shoes.
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

spot;1508425 wrote: My lad wears blue suede shoes.

Is he all shook up ?
Saint_

Unlikely assertions

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1508426 wrote: Is he all shook up ?

Naah. He's nothin' but a hound dog.
Bruv

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1508427 wrote: Naah. He's nothin' but a hound dog.

I wanted the last word on this......Don't be cruel.
Saint_

Unlikely assertions

Post by Saint_ »

:yh_rotflROFL Ok, OK, you win. I give!
minks

Unlikely assertions

Post by minks »

Leggings!!! I love those things. Oh on men you mean.... hmmm well they would leave very little to the imagination....

and even less if it were the plumbers who wore them, bending over and showing off ... oh never mind.

The great thing about fashion, it's ever changing. And if we live long enough we can even revive some or our old duds. (duds is right)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LarsMac

Unlikely assertions

Post by LarsMac »

A couple of waitresses at the local diner have taken to showing up in leggings.

All I can say is that I am glad they also wear aprons while working.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Unlikely assertions

Post by minks »

think the late 60's and early 70's, leggings and mini skirts.

Ok seriously leggings with nothing to cover your butt, and rolls ewwww that is just underware
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
magentaflame

Unlikely assertions

Post by magentaflame »

Leggings is a very broad term. I have my active wear leggings, formal leggings ....yes they have a seam (appropriate office wear) And junk around the house leggings. Ive seen some youngmen in leggings but you couldnt tell they were what they were without closer inspection. And that should give great comfort to older men used to retiring off to the mens toilets to release a few notches in their belts after a large meal. :)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Unlikely assertions

Post by magentaflame »

minks;1508548 wrote: think the late 60's and early 70's, leggings and mini skirts.

Ok seriously leggings with nothing to cover your butt, and rolls ewwww that is just underware

Yep, certain types of leggings that shoul be classed as tights........or informing the wearer they are wearing tights, not leggings. Stretch that material amd it becomes transparent lol
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Unlikely assertions

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Saint_;1508416 wrote: There's always some absolutely tasteless and stupid clothing trend going around, usually with the young adults. The idea is for it to shock and confuse the older generation, thereby giving the teens and young adults a sense of rebellion and independence. Never mind how ridiculous they look! That's the idea!

I see what you mean :-)

Return to “General Chit Chat”