Paul Galbally

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

He died today. I don't know any details. RIP my friend, you were one of the good ones.

https://rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=316730/Pau ... own/Carlow
Snowfire

Paul Galbally

Post by Snowfire »

Paul was a scientist and a member here some years ago. A lovely man with a wonderful sense of humour. We had many a hour creating silly threads.

Very shocked to find this out today. Very sad.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

Those were fun times, that was a good group of people.
YZGI

Paul Galbally

Post by YZGI »

Thats terrible. He was a great guy. Remember him well. He wasn't very old either.
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

Here's a recent photo. I think he might have been early 40s.

Attached files
minks

Paul Galbally

Post by minks »

Awe how very sad.

May he rest in eternal peace.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Paul Galbally

Post by spot »

Galbally was a major part of this site for a long while, he wrote just short of ten thousand posts here and they weren't chaff, they were thoughtful, polite, helpful posts and his style shone through.

Here's the thread from his last drop-in, after he'd submitted his doctoral thesis and the pressure of that lifted. http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/membe ... ost1381495

He shared his music recordings here, tried building a crowd-funded CD, talked about live performance, he glowed with talents. He's been on the facebook lists of several members and kept in touch that way. His sudden death is tragic news.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Paul Galbally

Post by Bruv »

I think he was about just as I found the site, so sad to hear at far too early an age.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Betty Boop

Paul Galbally

Post by Betty Boop »

He was a major part of FG way back when... such a lovely guy, intelligent, funny and such a good writer. May he RIP :-4
Ahso!

Paul Galbally

Post by Ahso! »

Paul was one of the nicest, polite and intelligent people I had the privilege to meet through the internet.

Because it was in his signature, I often wondered about the face-slap comment he attributed to his dad and how influential it was on Paul's personality. So I went about trying it out quite liberally for some time, however, sadly, the therapy never achieved the same results. I always intended to engage with Paul more on the subject but didn't seize on the opportunity in time obviously.

Something I'll probably never forget and often regret, I'm sure.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bryn Mawr

Paul Galbally

Post by Bryn Mawr »

As you say, one of the good guys.

A much liked and respected poster, it was a sad day when he stopped posting here and this is devastating news.

RIP Paul, you'll be much missed.
gmc

Paul Galbally

Post by gmc »

Sad news indeed.
magentaflame

Paul Galbally

Post by magentaflame »

Oh geez!!!

Im so sorry to here that. Damn.thats made me very sad.

Ill have a wee port and play his CD today.

The hard times Black republic (if anyone is interested) Wayfaring stranger. "Going home to jordan, im going home"

Bugger bugger bugger. :-1
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
ZAP

Paul Galbally

Post by ZAP »

R.I.P. you dear man, Galbally. I remembered a thread that Galbally did years ago. I searched back through years of posts and finally found it. It is hilarious!! Now I know I won't get anything else done today but read some of Dr. Gal's funny stuff. Here's a couple of samples:

Re: Galbally's Advice Column for FG.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapata

Dear Dr. Gal,

I've just taken note of your advice column, well actually it was 2 hours ago. That's how long it took to read through previous questions to see if you'd answered my particular problem before. No sense in making you redundant. Here it is: I have a blind date tonight and my dilemma is whether to wear my ruby red slippers to effect a 'Dorothy from Oz' appearance or my usual black leather, six-inch stiletto boots that go so well with the black lace teddy that I intend to wear. This date has not seen either. Can you advise?

Dorothy from Dallas

Hello Zapata, this is urgent. Firstly i need to know what a black lace teddy is? Where I come from that could mean you intend to go out dressed as some sort of transexual bear, though I presume this is not the case. In any case, red shoes and black outfits are not always a good match in terms of taste, also you may have miscalculated in that your date would appreciate you appearing up as a character from the much loved 1930's film, usually you need a little time to get to know the person before role play become a thing that both parties become comfortable with. Though I myself would be delighted if you turned up dressed as dorothy to a blind date, or even a munchkin lady, though perhaps its better if we don't get into that. From the facts that I know I say, go with the stilletos, be friendly, but demur, and if he turns up dressed as the tin man, rethink the whole idea.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on.

Dear Doc,

Thank you for the sage advice. I did not foresee the possibility of him dressing in tin, however. What if my spike heels should puncture a hole while we dance the fandango?

Dancing Dorothy

Should that unfortunate occurence arise, you can purchase a excellent car-body repair kit for small expense at most reputable garages. Also carrying a small can of WD-40 would be good in case he seizes up an in oppotune moment. On the whole though, doing in the fandango dressed as dorothy and the tin man is again, a little extreme for the first date. I would suggest that you would limit yourselves to dinner, an exchange of phone numbers, and perhaps a little bit of kissing etc, if you are mutually attracted to each other. If you must dance, perhaps something less taxing such as a waltz or foxtrot would be more suitable, patricularly in costume as it will lessen the likihood of injury. Then again that said, experiecing a trauma together can be a hugely bonding experience between people so if you feel that throwing caution to the wind is OK then feel free to Fandango away.

Dear Dr. G,

You are so wise. No wonder you have such a fine reputation for unfailingly giving sound advice. And for someone so young too! What you said about experiencing a trauma together being fulfilling is true, as one of my most satisfying relationships was when I fell from a horse, breaking my pelvis in Costa Rica. Discretion prevents me from naming the other party. Being under the influence of mind-altering drugs helped, too.

Galbally:

Interesting, it seems that perhaps being dorothy on a blind date with tinman doing the Fandango would not be such an uncommon experience for you then. In terms of the drugs did they help with the falling off the horse, being in Costa Rica, or getting aquainted with the young man in question? I too have had similar experiences, except that they involved young women, no horses, and did not happen in the southern hemisphere, but nevertheless there were parallels. Thank you for your kind comments on my attempts at being a cyber councellor, it makes a nice change from the legal writs I usually recieve. Do let me know how your date went, its important that we ensure that your new possible relationship with the tin man (I'm just using that as a short hand as I do not know the young man's name, he may have no similarities to our metallic friend at all), develops in a healthy and non-bizarre manner.

Dear Dr. Gal, etc., etc.

I know that you are on holiday but could you please hurry home? I am in dire need of some legal advice. And maybe you can't help me but if that is the case, perhaps you can refer me to someone who can. This problem may have international consequences.

Mz Shou

Galbally's Advice Column for FG.

Puleeeeeeze Dr. Galbally,

When I saw you responding to Nomad with comments about international situations and banning the bomb and the UN, of course I thought you were answering my urgent question concerning my blind date with the banker from Korea! Forgive my mistake.

Frightfully Fearful

I have waited till now to reply, as I was giving you some time in case there was more you'd like to share. i would say that for you date, you might want to be a little cautious with him, as I believe he may not be telling you the entire truth. As far as I am aware N. Korea is a communist state, and as such they wouldn't have bankers as we know them, though perhaps he helps mismanage some aspect of what passess for a financial ministry in that god-forsaken country. I may be becoming confused, but is this the Tin man? There is something about a pseudo banker from N. Korea doing the tin man that I find deeply amusing, though of course I don't mean to laugh at your romantic life or anything. Anyway, do let me know how its going. BTW, if you work for a defence contractor or the U.S. DOD or are on the NSA, or work as a cleaner for the CIA or anything you might want to get your date security cleared, you can never be certain nowadays

Hi GB, old buddy, How you doin'?

I hope fine. I hope your holiday was fine.

I hope all your friends and family are fine.

They're feeding me well. . .

Ok, that should be enough. They tell me the guards here only read the first few lines to see if there's anything interesting or SMUTTY.

Heelllppppp! They arrested me! They said I caused an international incident. I was very careful not to step on Yung June Moon on the dance floor, when we danced the cha cha. And when he said, what sounded like, "Ret's go for wok in moonright" I thought that was sweet or that he was hungry, but then he tripped me, made me fall right off my 6" stilettoes and he tried to take advantage of me. Well, I had to defend myself, didn't I? He probably wasn't a real banker anyway. Soooo, do you know any good defense attorneys?

Thanks for your help,

Stirring in Stir

magentaflame

Paul Galbally

Post by magentaflame »

That made me smile. Wheres' the link? :)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Paul Galbally

Post by spot »

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

We had a running joke for years about my fear of Danes.

What a lovely man.
ZAP

Paul Galbally

Post by ZAP »

Thanks Spot for posting the link. I couldn't get it to work for me.

Galbally was a genius! He took whatever you threw at him and ran with it. He was so funny. And creative.

And yes, you could make a book out of it.

When I re-read our stuff I thought I might put my part in a book I'm writing that has a chapter on Facebook, dating sites, etc.

Here's the rest of mine:

Galbally:

Tricky, tricky, there is a lot of difficulty with the N. Koreans with the recent launch of their Tao Pe Dong II medium range ballistic missiles. Your government won't want your recent incident made public in case it causes a national outrage in the communist state, who tell their public that they are led by a legion of supermen, who shouldn't be able to get the crap kicked out of them by angry young american women. In this case it is likely that they will offer you a plea bargain, or perhaps now that you have some experience may commute your sentence if you agree to some covert surveillance opperations, which according to your own preference you may find either unsavoury or another great opportunity to dress up and go kick some other disrepuable, overly friendly, communists. If it does come to court then I suggest that you get Johnny Cochran, if he is out of your price range then you could ask that it be turned into a civil matter and brought before judge judy, she will no doubt give mr June Moon a good ticking off and award you damages for the shoe damage.

Dear Dr. Gal,

I am writing this on behalf of my cousin who happens to be in stir...er...away at the moment. She heard about this contest for 'astounding super lovers' and she asked me to find out if that is open to all sorts, including convicted felons? Also, would you be able to obtain a registration form for her and possibly make it possible for her to participate?

Awaiting your reply,

Sweet Charity

Galbally:

Interestingly there never does seem to be a shortage of female entrants for this as before-little publicized event, I seem to have blown its cover as it were. I am sure that special circumstances could be taken into consideration for your (ahem) cousin. Perhaps a live web-cam feed from the conjugal trailer things that they have in certain prisons in america (unless the simpsons are lying) could be sorted out, and they cud fly one of the "round-britain astounding super lovers" to erm, participate in the American penal (no pun) system segment of the competition. It could be whole new international dimension, which is something that has been frowned upon apparently since the tragic 1965 contest with the swiss team and that exploding cheese, but I'm sure you must know about that already. Anyway, I shall see if its possible

Dear Dr. Gal,

It is with extreme distress that I inform you that the guards. . .er . . .personnel said "nix" to your idea about the Brits joining in on the conjugal trailer idea. And I'm afraid they had heard about the exploding cheese fiasco, so that's a no-go, as they are a rather fastidious group. I shall have to come up with something else.

Signed,

Willing & Wanton (my cousin)

Galbally:

That's a pity, they are being a bit uptight, though perhaps I should have refrained from mentioning the terrible events with the cheese and the associated injuries, which in many cases defied medical science at the time.

You can inform "Willing and Wanton" that the current champion is one "Rex Apocalypse" of Southend on Sea, Essex, England. He is a formidable character by all accounts.

Dear Dr.,

W&W says thanks for the advice. She wants to know if you were involved in that cheesy deal. She says Rex sounds yummy!

Say, Doc, do ya mind if I send some clients your way? I know a lot of needy people.

Thanks,

W&W's cousin

Galbally:

No I had nothing to do with the said deal, and I can prove it with a birth certifcate from December 1971, more than 6 years after the alleged incident occurred. However, I have done some research and found that sex-tournament accidents are far more common than I expected, almost as common as exploding cheeses (particularly the parmesan variety as comes in grains and has a higher surface-to-area ratio from which to react with oxygen). The specifics of the 1965 "round-britain astounding superlover" diaster are sketchy as the swiss and british governments have sucessfully covered most of it up as it might have been bad for Britains impending entry into the EEC (EU) in 1973. I did learn that the man directly involved was one Hans Grossenlanger, who made I can say happily a full recovery though he never regained his superlover rankings in following tounaments. He has retied now as spends his time as a freelance backgammon master in Zurich.

I am happy to deal with all comers as long as they don't mind the ritual humiliation and general all-round lack of any sympathy whatsoever

Dear Dr. GB,

I can see that you are very well endowed with gifts for giving sound, cheesy advice. I would not hesitate for a minute to recommend you most highly. Now, getting back to the cheese question, what would be your cheese of choice IF you were to become embroiled in a dalliance, or contest of that sort?

Hopeful Hedy

Galbally:

Thank you, I always strive to provide a professional, top-quality, kosher, not dodgy-at-all type service.

In terms of the cheese, I would pick Emmental (which is German or Swiss/German), as its tasteful, discrete, clean and cool, which always the way to deal with any potentially intricate personal situations. It also has holes you can peek through, which is useful on occasion. And yourself?

Dear Doc,

Yes, I am somewhat enthusiastic about peeking through the holes. The cheese you mentioned, what sort of aroma does it have? Nothing like Limburger, is it?

HH

Galbally:

Indeed, peeking through holes can be a most rewarding pastime, though of course should always be done discretely and within the bounds of decency as established by the late Roman Empire. I must admit that I have not had a chance to smell Limburger cheese lately, though it sounds about right.
spot

Paul Galbally

Post by spot »

ForumGarden has sent a charity donation on behalf of the posters here, by way of the funeral home. I'm sure others of his friends here will see this thread, it's on behalf of all of us.

ZAP;1507794 wrote: When I re-read our stuff I thought I might put my part in a book I'm writing that has a chapter on Facebook, dating sites, etc.

I'm sure everyone on the site will want to read it when you're finished. I'm alerting my lawyer in readiness, of course.
ZAP

Paul Galbally

Post by ZAP »

spot;1507796 wrote: ForumGarden has sent a charity donation on behalf of the posters here, by way of the funeral home. I'm sure others of his friends here will see this thread, it's on behalf of all of us.

I'm sure everyone here will want to read it when you're finished. I'm alerting my lawyer in readiness, of course.

Did you pay your lawyer a retainer fee? Is he honest? (Yeah, right!)

The reason I ask is that I started this book 10 years ago and I still add to it . . .yearly. If it ever gets published, it may well be posthumously for all of us, including the lawyer.
Betty Boop

Paul Galbally

Post by Betty Boop »

Snooz;1507793 wrote: We had a running joke for years about my fear of Danes.

What a lovely man.

Duh moment, I read this post and took it as a fear of Great Danes, have just taken a look at the original thread and am now enlightened :wah:
Betty Boop

Paul Galbally

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1507796 wrote: ForumGarden has sent a charity donation on behalf of the posters here, by way of the funeral home. I'm sure others of his friends here will see this thread, it's on behalf of all of us.

I'm sure everyone on the site will want to read it when you're finished. I'm alerting my lawyer in readiness, of course.

That was very thoughtful of Bryn, thank you :-6
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

Thank you.
ZAP

Paul Galbally

Post by ZAP »

That is very nice. Thank you.
Snooz

Paul Galbally

Post by Snooz »

I posted a link to his advice thread on his facebook page. I think his sister especially will enjoy reading it.
minks

Paul Galbally

Post by minks »

A very worthy donation FG, well done.

I too hope his sister enjoys his FG contributions as so many of us have.

― Mae West
magentaflame

Paul Galbally

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1507792 wrote: http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... mn-fg.html

You could make a book from it.

Ha ! I think i better leave that thread till later....ive been reading it whilst sitting in a doctors surgery and people are beginning to look at me as if im here for a mental health check. Lol

Good idea about the donation. The last time i spoke to paul he was doing some study of grasslands or something.

Hows' his mrs and ken nolan holding up?
spot

Paul Galbally

Post by spot »

I'm sure this should be in the thread... People In Profile - Paul Galbally (3/2/2013)

eta: and this.

minks

Paul Galbally

Post by minks »

Truly an honor to have met such an interesting and wonderful man

― Mae West
magentaflame

Paul Galbally

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1507914 wrote: I'm sure this should be in the thread... People In Profile - Paul Galbally (3/2/2013)

Thanks spot!!!!!!!!! I know he was stoked when i told him 'joyride' was played on a NSW radio station. I promised him id distribute his CDs here during my trip up north. Two stations played tracks off black republic. One in new south(sydney/newcastle) andABC in Vic.

This is becoming quite upsetting. I was supposed to drop in on Carlow when i come over. See? Just goes to show you shouldnt delay things in life.
Clodhopper

Paul Galbally

Post by Clodhopper »

Oh no. :(

He was one of the good guys. Incredibly talented too.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Ahso!

Paul Galbally

Post by Ahso! »

His music and singing was/is pretty good. I like his style. Thanks for pointing me to his music, magenta.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “General Chit Chat”