Returning to the road

LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

In my early life, I was quite the nomad. Dad changed jobs a few times, and we moved around a lot. By the time I was in my teens the highway was in my blood.

I was in different schools almost every year, and had been in 25 of the 50 states by the time we had fifty states.

Well, work has kept me tied down for some time, limiting our mobility a bit.

Now we enter a new era and I look forward to retiring.

This will be our home, soon, and we will be able to move about at will, and drag our few remaining worldly possession along.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Returning to the road

Post by Wandrin »

Nice rig. Perhaps we'll bump into each other out on the road somewhere.
spot

Returning to the road

Post by spot »

Where will you put your books? And what's that with the chrome and the bumper in the foreground?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Returning to the road

Post by Bruv »

Are you not sick of driving ?

I still think it's an escape strategy for whoever wins the forthcoming election.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Returning to the road

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wow. My dream home, which will never come true for me, but Happy Trails for you! :driving:
tude dog

Returning to the road

Post by tude dog »

We have similar backgrounds in moving around. With the exception of a couple of years in NY state, the rest was in Los Angeles and Orange counties CA.

Seems my dad found a career with a major retailer and just kept climbing the latter to better and better positions and we just followed the job.

I never liked moving and going to different schools and always sought to settle down. Wife and I live in our last house 23 years, where I expected to retire. Been here in KS for like 12 years and like it or not, this is it.

Can't imagine moving from state to state like you did. I can't imagine the life you plan on embarking on.

In a way I am envious. I know the three years driving OTR was interesting but just kept moving never stopping for a look around.

Looks like a nice rig.

No doubt me and everyone here will expect updates on your adventures.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Patsy Warnick

Returning to the road

Post by Patsy Warnick »

OMG - my hubby wanted your home on wheels.

I said no - it's just another thing to clean.

We still do several road trips - but I'm not cooking & cleaning.

and of course many home on wheels are arriving daily here - snowbirds.

enjoy the road - be safe

Patsy
Wandrin

Returning to the road

Post by Wandrin »

Home is where you park it. Are you bringing a toad?
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1501908 wrote: Where will you put your books? And what's that with the chrome and the bumper in the foreground?

Well two of the grandkids are planning on staying put in their locations, and are avid readers, and respecters of the printed word. They will mind my library, and allow me regular visiting privileges.

That in the foreground is my aging Town Car. We haven't decided on its fate, just yet. with nearly 300000 miles, many terrific road trips and good memories, I hate to part with it, but it is not a car that you can tow around easily.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1501915 wrote: Home is where you park it. Are you bringing a toad?

We are planning a toad. Neither of our current cars will really work. Planning something simple, like a front-wheel drive sedan on a Dolly.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1501912 wrote: OMG - my hubby wanted your home on wheels.

I said no - it's just another thing to clean.

We still do several road trips - but I'm not cooking & cleaning.

and of course many home on wheels are arriving daily here - snowbirds.

enjoy the road - be safe

Patsy

Snowbirds. Yup, that's going to be our lot, soon.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Returning to the road

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1501918 wrote: We are planning a toad. Neither of our current cars will really work. Planning something simple, like a front-wheel drive sedan on a Dolly.

I just downsized to a class-B to avoid the toad problem. I fits my wandrin style and is great on the tiny twisties in the mountains and coast that I love so much. It's surprisingly comfortable, but probably a little cramped for two. It also fits in those out-of-the-way National Forest campsites, away from the crowds.
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1501911 wrote: We have similar backgrounds in moving around. With the exception of a couple of years in NY state, the rest was in Los Angeles and Orange counties CA.

Seems my dad found a career with a major retailer and just kept climbing the latter to better and better positions and we just followed the job.

I never liked moving and going to different schools and always sought to settle down. Wife and I live in our last house 23 years, where I expected to retire. Been here in KS for like 12 years and like it or not, this is it.

Can't imagine moving from state to state like you did. I can't imagine the life you plan on embarking on.

In a way I am envious. I know the three years driving OTR was interesting but just kept moving never stopping for a look around.

Looks like a nice rig.

No doubt me and everyone here will expect updates on your adventures.

OTR was one of my favorite jobs in younger days. The company I drove for knew I'd go anywhere, so when they got a load for an out of the way place, and I was close to the pick up, they'd send me. Had some really interesting runs. Then the economy got weird, and fuel got expensive, and the loads got fewer and paid less, and I sold out my share of the truck.

Our son was driving for a couple of outfits and came home with some stories that almost had me thinking of getting back in a rig, but the wife nixed that idea.

So we bought this rig, and where I go, she goes. Probably won't pay as well, but should prove to be really interesting.

Our first planned run is west to California and spend some time wandering the western coastal states.
- DH Lawrence
minks

Returning to the road

Post by minks »

Lars, perhaps it's time to consider ebooks??

Nice Motorhome.

Has it got pull outs?

We aspire to get there one day.... we will do good to retire with $ mind you, but it is nice to dream.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

minks;1501935 wrote: Lars, perhaps it's time to consider ebooks??

Nice Motorhome.

Has it got pull outs?

We aspire to get there one day.... we will do good to retire with $ mind you, but it is nice to dream.

Oh, yes, I do ebooks, too. You should see my Kindle.

But the books I have are still dear to me.

Yes, it has a slideout. it adds about 45 sq ft when opened. Doesn't seem like much, but that is about a third more room than when closed.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Returning to the road

Post by G#Gill »

Have a happy and safe retirement Lars ! Will you be able to visit Forum Garden from time to time while you are on the road ? Actually, I do envy you being able to purchase that gorgeous machine and be able to travel where and whenever you want. :guitarist :driving: :D
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Patsy Warnick

Returning to the road

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars,

I was wondering which direction you were headed - my ruby red grapefruit are ready @ C'mas & How will I send them to you? or how far South will you wander?

I have one brother who is a truck driver. He enjoys the driving.

Use to work for Prime - he's been on the East Coast & now the West, working out of a port in CA.

Your new home is beautiful

Enjoy your scenic tour

Patsy
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

Note by mod: duplicate post of the one following, undeleted to fix the thread. Spot, 22 August 2020.
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

I have several friends who travel about in their various rigs--some of them quite elaborate--and they love it. They can go wherever and stay however long they want-following the warm weather and then in the summer go to cooler spots.

My youngest daughter met her husband when he was a commercial truck driver so she got her CDL (?) and became a driver too so they could go coast-to-coast, working for Werner at first. They've got some wonderful memories of places they went and people they met.

Good luck and happy retirement!
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Not quite retired, yet, Gilly. The first item on my agenda is to see that I have reliable network access, because the boss expects me to be on call as I wander about the West. Since most of my work these days is remote access, it doesn't really matter where I call home. I plan to work into the next year, and save our pennies for a retirement next summer or fall. and, having network access means I will be able to haunt FG for the foreseeable future.

As for our plans, Patsy, we have none. If we get the rig set up the way we want before winter sets in, we'll head down towards Southern Arizona, and the west to San Diego. The wife has never been there, so that is a primary destination. After that, just meander northward.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

San Diego? I go over there often. Perhaps you, your wife and I will cross paths.
spot

Returning to the road

Post by spot »

I have been reading one of the most well-constructed free-flowing set of novels it's been my privilege to encounter, all relating the exploits of Travis McGee by John D MacDonald. The one I've so far finished is The Deep Blue Good-by, set in and around Lauderdale, with a use of English that stands Travis easily alongside Sam Spade.

eta: I have no idea why this post went into this thread, it can't have been meant to.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Returning to the road

Post by Snowfire »

Brilliant ! That's a bit of me that is.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1501954 wrote: I have been reading one of the most well-constructed free-flowing set of novels it's been my privilege to encounter, all relating the exploits of Travis McGee by John D MacDonald. The one I've so far finished is The Deep Blue Good-by, set in and around Lauderdale, with a use of English that stands Travis easily alongside Sam Spade.

eta: I have no idea why this post went into this thread, it can't have been meant to.

John D MacDonald was one of my favorite writers of pulp fiction when I was young. And some of his perspectives on Florida are spot on.

I happen to be in possession of the entire collection of MacDonald's work. It goes with us on the bus.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Returning to the road

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1501906 wrote: In my early life, I was quite the nomad. Dad changed jobs a few times, and we moved around a lot. By the time I was in my teens the highway was in my blood.

I was in different schools almost every year, and had been in 25 of the 50 states by the time we had fifty states.

This will be our home, soon, and we will be able to move about at will, and drag our few remaining worldly possession along.

Car and caravn for me, in UK terms that is huge for a mobile home, bit too big to be practical, the ones you see often a small car behind them so they can go in to town - the problem would be finding somewhere to park though I can see the attraction in a countr like amereica. What length is it? looks about 30 feet or so maybe? Never been to the states always had a hankering to see death valley, yosemite and the grand canyon cities not so much.
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1501962 wrote: Car and caravn for me, in UK terms that is huge for a mobile home, bit too big to be practical, the ones you see often a small car behind them so they can go in to town - the problem would be finding somewhere to park though I can see the attraction in a countr like amereica. What length is it? looks about 30 feet or so maybe? Never been to the states always had a hankering to see death valley, yosemite and the grand canyon cities not so much.

Yup. 30 feet. It would be a bit large and unwieldy in a lot of the UK, and Europe. I've seen some nice class B outfits that would be practical over there. Here, this is a fairly middling rig. There are some real behemoths on the American highways. About the size of many of those buses you see hauling tourists around to all the sites. I could be happy in something smaller, but the wife is a bit more of an indoor person, and we need SOME room to stay out of each other's hair. Our maiden voyage planned for this weekend got cancelled when one of the wife's sisters went to the hospital, so hopefully next weekend is still decent, weatherwise.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Returning to the road

Post by spot »

I have on several occasions seen London double-deck buses converted for life on the road, they appear to have a lot of room. The conversions may be in imitation of a 1963 film musical starring the talented Melvyn Hayes and the extraordinary Una Stubbs.
gmc

Returning to the road

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1501963 wrote: Yup. 30 feet. It would be a bit large and unwieldy in a lot of the UK, and Europe. I've seen some nice class B outfits that would be practical over there. Here, this is a fairly middling rig. There are some real behemoths on the American highways. About the size of many of those buses you see hauling tourists around to all the sites. I could be happy in something smaller, but the wife is a bit more of an indoor person, and we need SOME room to stay out of each other's hair. Our maiden voyage planned for this weekend got cancelled when one of the wife's sisters went to the hospital, so hopefully next weekend is still decent, weatherwise.

A typical class two hgv here is 33-35 feet long about 8ft wide You can buy airstreams and fifth wheelers here but the biggest are just too wide to be practical if you actually want to travel anywhwere height would be an iisue as well a lot of our bridges were built before they had cars never mind anyuthing else.

Always wondered why do your hgv's have such long cabs with a big bonnet? Over here they are just as powerful and the loads just as big but typically you sit over the engine access to which is gained by tilting the cab
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Well, the maiden voyage got postponed due to family illness taking up most of our time since Saturday last.

I have driven a bit around town to get familiar with the dimensions, and have figured out a list of "Must-have" items before we launch.

1. A rear-view Camera, and the it is difficult to judge the distance behind through the mirror.

2. I need a heavier rated Trailer Hitch. The one we have is rated for 3500 pounds, Max. By the time I hook a 1000 lb Tow Dolly to the thing, I can only tow a 2000 lb car. (well 2500 lb, possibly)

3. Tires. The tires are on the tail end of their recommended age, and exhibiting a bit of weathering. From what I can tell, they were purchased either just before, or just after the original owner sold the vehicle to the second owner, who put barely 2000 miles in the thing in six years. (Yes, I had planned the tires into my budget. though shopping for tire for these things is a bit tougher than I anticipated.)

It's beginning to look like I may have to delay our launch til after Winter sets in, which means we may have to winterize the plumbing before the first freeze comes along.

A name. I need to name the thing. Since my original retirement fantasy was to have a sail boat, and spend my latter years plying the Caribbean (dashed when I married a landlubber who gets sea sick standing on a pier.) the name should be of a nautical theme. (Thanks, but SS Minnow has already been posed and rejected)

I shall spend the afternoon listening to my old Jimmy Buffett albums to see if something appropriate comes to the fore.

Suggestions welcome.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Returning to the road

Post by Bruv »

Mayflower ?

Discovery ?

Beagle ?
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

Sea Cruise? Sea Cruiser? See Cruise?
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1502031 wrote: Sea Cruise? Sea Cruiser? See Cruise?

You mean like:

- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1502032 wrote: You mean like:

EXACTLY!! Oh man, I love that clip from Bandstand! Thank you!

Maybe See Cruiser?
gmc

Returning to the road

Post by gmc »

Hoiw about calling it what it's not? " The plane" for instance, make your friends green with envy as you take your plane to arizona.

I've a notion to drive up to the arctic circle to see the northern lights. Never managed to see them in the far north of scotland it always seem overcast at times when they should be visible.
magentaflame

Returning to the road

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac;1501906 wrote: In my early life, I was quite the nomad. Dad changed jobs a few times, and we moved around a lot. By the time I was in my teens the highway was in my blood.

Oh my goodness.

Close proximity with spouse, 24 hours a day, in retirement and driving!

Music and alcohol......... youre going to need it........ or she will. :)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
FourPart

Returning to the road

Post by FourPart »

I see trucks like this & the first thing that I wonder is what sort of fuel usage do these things have? My little Jaxsie gets about 80mpg. I reckon some of those bigguns would be lucky to get 8mpg.
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1502111 wrote: I see trucks like this & the first thing that I wonder is what sort of fuel usage do these things have? My little Jaxsie gets about 80mpg. I reckon some of those bigguns would be lucky to get 8mpg.

I've been advised that I can expect up to 10 Mpg, when running downhill with a reliable tailwind.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Returning to the road

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1502124 wrote: I've been advised that I can expect up to 10 Mpg, when running downhill with a reliable tailwind.

Canada is all up hill.........unfortunately.
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1502129 wrote: Canada is all up hill.........unfortunately.

Not from here
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Returning to the road

Post by YZGI »

Road Boat, Highway Sail away, Re "tired" Houseboat, Shore Ship, Trawler, USS Drifter, Dry Yacht..

My favorite: Nooner Schooner

I can come up with more if needed..LOL
Wandrin

Returning to the road

Post by Wandrin »

I like Roadside Manor.
ZAP

Returning to the road

Post by ZAP »

YZGI;1502164 wrote: Road Boat, Highway Sail away, Re "tired" Houseboat, Shore Ship, Trawler, USS Drifter, Dry Yacht..

My favorite: Nooner Schooner

I can come up with more if needed..LOL

Very clever Wisey! I like Road Boat and Dry Yacht. :D
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1502169 wrote: Very clever Wisey! I like Road Boat and Dry Yacht. :D

Grandson suggested "Treadnaught"
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

I'm leaning towards, "Hrududu"
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Returning to the road

Post by Wandrin »

A couple I met recently at an Oregon campground had named their rig "Tardis".
gmc

Returning to the road

Post by gmc »

Ok here's mine. turn the music off

If only the door was on the correct side.
LarsMac

Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1502294 wrote: Ok here's mine. turn the music off

If only the door was on the correct side.

I rather like that.

I was all up for getting a trailer that we could tow with our Town Car, but the wife vetoed the idea.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Re: Returning to the road

Post by LarsMac »

Well, a few years on since the last post.
Just when we were preparing to pull the plug on the job thing, The Mrs murmuring heart started getting really bad, and she ended u with some sever mineral shortages.
A visit to the hospital because of low Sodium became a "Staff infection" I thought that meant that some sort of invasion of the body by a variant of Staphylococcus that made one sick, but apparently it can refer to a member of the hospital Staff accidentally infecting you with any number of severe infectious diseases.

Any, The Mrs was told that they would have to do open Heart Surgery to fix the leaky valve causing the Murmur because the Staph bugs had set up housekeeping in the area around the valve. That adventure took at least a year to get through.
Fortunately, this whole time, I was still on the payroll, and the insurance paid for most of the adventure.
We finally pulled the plug on the job after we hit the road.
We retired after we got to Florida. We spent the summer wandering about, and returned to Colorado for a visit with family. Then just as we are preparing to head south for the Winter, several events delayed that.
Well, February is a good time to head south.
COVID? What's COVID.
Hmmm, we have now found ourselves out on a farm on the Prairie, rebuilding an old house. The Road is waiting, again.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Presumably if you don't get the range burning well in the kitchen before winter sets in, you can still stay warm in the vehicle.

I have no desire at all to go anywhere near a hospital and you both have my sympathy. If you lined up every medic who ever existed I'd be surprised if they'd been a net asset to the public health. I'd also be surprised if they were not on balance richer then their neighbors.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:50 am Presumably if you don't get the range burning well in the kitchen before winter sets in, you can still stay warm in the vehicle.

I have no desire at all to go anywhere near a hospital and you both have my sympathy. If you lined up every medic who ever existed I'd be surprised if they'd been a net asset to the public health. I'd also be surprised if they were not on balance richer then their neighbors.
How very unfair on today's medics to lump them in with the barber surgeons of ages past :-)

It sounds like a challenge and an adventure Lars, albeit one better tackled thirty years younger.

Hopefully your wife has fully recovered from the infection and the surgery? Here's wishing her well and success to both of you.

Return to “Retirement Planning”