driverless cars

A forum for our physically challenged members.
magentaflame

driverless cars

Post by magentaflame »

I was watching the news this morning and a report came on about the driverless car being tested in london at the moment.

It got me thinking about how many people will be able to access the thrill of being on the open road that couldnt before.

For example, the severely parapledgic, the blind, maybe even children. Could you imagine buckling your children into a car and waving goodbye to them instead of driving them?

Couriering for example, you put your package into a car put in the gps information, at the other end someone takes the package and sends the car back to you.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

driverless cars

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1501854 wrote: I was watching the news this morning and a report came on about the driverless car being tested in london at the moment.

It got me thinking about how many people will be able to access the thrill of being on the open road that couldnt before.

For example, the severely parapledgic, the blind, maybe even children. Could you imagine buckling your children into a car and waving goodbye to them instead of driving them?

Couriering for example, you put your package into a car put in the gps information, at the other end someone takes the package and sends the car back to you.

Even better, some day, you won't even need to own the car. You summon a car from the carpool, and when arrives, hop in, enter destination, sit back and enjoy the ride. No fretting about parking and such. The uber Uber.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

driverless cars

Post by gmc »

It will only work if you can seperate them from the idiots that are likely to hit you I can just imagine - When I ran in to the back of the driverless car it was because it stopped unexpectedly at amber when the traffic lights changed, or how about cars are supposed to give way to cyclists even when the lights are at red (i've actually had a cyclists say that to me)
LarsMac

driverless cars

Post by LarsMac »

Yeah, the real problem with driverless cars is that they will adhere to rules and regulations, while drivers may fail to do so. They level of unpredictability that THAT arrangement will add to the environment will be rather exciting for passengers.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

driverless cars

Post by Wandrin »

On a recent trip, I was forced to drive through the nightmare of the LA freeway system. It was pretty obvious that the traffic would flow much better if egos and stupidity weren't in play. Some guy decides to tailgate someone else and then taps his brakes, which causes a chain reaction of brakes in the lane behind, slowing down the flow. Merging traffic is an ego contest, or so it seemed.

It occurred to me that it would be perfectly reasonable, at a time in the near future, to restrict the traffic on certain freeways to driverless cars. Traffic would flow so much more smoothly and commute times would be reduced that it would probably spur widespread buying of driverless cars in that area.
Saint_

driverless cars

Post by Saint_ »

This video speaks for itself...

Saint_

driverless cars

Post by Saint_ »

gmc;1501874 wrote: When I ran in to the back of the driverless car it was because it stopped unexpectedly at amber when the traffic lights changed

Need I point out that if your car, too, had been driverless, that wouldn't have happened? That was driver error. Also, amber=slow down and prepare to stop. Just sayin'
Saint_

driverless cars

Post by Saint_ »

For wandrin:

magentaflame

driverless cars

Post by magentaflame »

I was having a discussion about this with other emergency service people...... driverless police, fire,and ambulance vehicles?

And we all know what to do when an emergency service vehicle is in the vicinity right? But will these driverless vehicles have computers that interact with each other? Will driverless cars have the capacity to stop or pull over to the side before an emergency vehicles approaches ?

Driverless semi trailers? Will their computers be able to identify port cranes?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Wandrin

driverless cars

Post by Wandrin »

Saint_;1502007 wrote: For wandrin:

Good video. The flaw, of course, is that if there is a manual override in the cars, I expect the ego-driven drivers to take advantage of the fact that all of the other cars are cooperating and try to use that. Some drivers seem to be motivated by some misguided sense of competition when they are on the road.

Return to “Physically Challenged”