Pineapple problems

Bruv

Pineapple problems

Post by Bruv »

Eight years in prison and a $10 million fine. That’s what Andy Hall faces this Tuesday -- just for exposing multiple human and labour rights violations including child labour, passport confiscation, forced work, violence and abuse in a Thai pineapple factory.

Andy Hall some background

And some more
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

The country may well be headed for one of its periodic bloodbaths, a common feature there when power shifts. For a week the army tends to kill anyone they feel like killing and nobody dare complain afterwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ngs-health
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Pineapple problems

Post by magentaflame »

looks like the king hasn't got a lot of time left.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

Just don't fly into Bangkok and say that, you'll be deported.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

The King is dead. Now would be an excellent moment to abolish the monarchy, exile the royal family and implement democratic government within a Republic.
Bruv

Pineapple problems

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501899 wrote: The King is dead. Now would be an excellent moment to abolish the monarchy, exile the royal family and implement democratic government within a Republic.

I could agree with.....some.....of that.
Saint_

Pineapple problems

Post by Saint_ »

This is why I don't travel.
G#Gill

Pineapple problems

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1501902 wrote: This is why I don't travel.

Me as well. Apart from the obvious cost of long-haul travel, I really and truly have no desire to visit such unstable countries. Even in my old age, I do want to carry on living cos I've still got lots of things to do before I leave this mortal coil! LOL
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

There's one excellent reason for ditching the monarchy and he's 64 years old.

Vajiralongkorn has built up a reputation for womanising, extravagance, bizarre self-indulgence and occasional cruelty, including to his own children, several of whom have been stripped of their names and titles and live in exile.

His exploits hit international headlines in 2007, when a leaked video showed his then consort, Princess Srirasm, performing near-naked at a birthday party with pet poodle Foo Foo. The canine air chief marshal, who died last year, was cremated after four days of Buddhist rites.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... rince-king

There's a leaked cable from six years ago which describes the problem. The US Ambassador speaks with three members of the Thai Privy Council:All three had quite negative comments about Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn. While asserting that the Crown Prince will become King, both Siddhi and Anand implied the country would be better off if other arrangements could be made. Siddhi expressed preference for Princess Sirindhorn; Anand suggested only the King would be in a position to change succession, and acknowledged a low likelihood of that happening.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/us-em ... nts/245161

spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

The gentleman whose unwashed jeans are failing to cover his pubic parts, Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn, is the fellow under discussion. One can see why Thailand's makers and shakers are actively considering alternatives.

Bruv

Pineapple problems

Post by Bruv »

spot;1501926 wrote: The gentleman whose unwashed jeans are failing to cover his pubic parts, Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn, is the fellow under discussion. One can see why Thailand's makers and shakers are actively considering alternatives.

So all those people mourning the old King passing are really crying over the future King really ?
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

I don't think one passes in Thailand, I think one progresses. Americans pass, Thais progress, the English die.
magentaflame

Pineapple problems

Post by magentaflame »

:yh_rotflPeople dont want to travel to unstable countries:yh_rotfl

Well thats Britain and the US at the moment :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

I notice that the price of Thailand holidays has plummeted with the uncertainty. Here's today's offer if you book now for May.

Phuket - 4* Centara Karon Resort | Flight Centre UK

8 Nights from £ 499 pp

Available for travel 02 - 31 May 2017

Book by 07 Nov 2016

Call 0800 587 0058

Please quote deal number 3579740

That's down from around £1100. Quite a drop.
magentaflame

Pineapple problems

Post by magentaflame »

hasnt changed here.

What's interesting about Thailands passing of the crown, is that we have to remember the last king wasn't the first in line . A couple of 'successes' had some fatal illnesses????? before they settled on him. If I was in line to the thrown I'd be a little nervous around about now.
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

The fellow under discussion has just been appointed Head of State and assumed the title King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun. I do hope they've confined him to the palace for the remainder of his days, it would be too much if he rolled into Munich again regardless of what he might be wearing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -to-throne
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

Thailand's monarchy is approaching an existential crisis.Sensitivity to public criticism of royal affairs has heightened since Maha Vajiralongkorn took power.

The royalist junta has ramped up online censorship, especially any posts or comment perceived to violate the country’s strict lese-majesty laws, which make it a crime to criticise, defame or insult members of the royal family.

Sensitivity to public criticism of royal affairs was heightened after the much-loved king Bhumibol Adulyadej died in October and his son took power.

With each offence punishable by up to 15 years in jail, more than 105 charges have been raised during the junta’s tenure, several of them related to sharing online posts.

Lese-majesty laws force media operating in Thailand to frequently self-censor.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ent-passes

The alternative is to declare a republic, exile the embarrassing ex-royal family and gain a long-absent measure of self-respect as a nation. The violation of Thailand's lese-majesty law was the chap's public appearance in an alcoholic stupor, complete with royal masseuse and unwashed jeans, at Munich Airport. Merely bringing it up on social media is a trivial offense by comparison.

Do not, please, send that repellent aging playboy to London.
spot

Pineapple problems

Post by spot »

He's getting himself crowned on Saturday. As preparation for the event he married one of his Generals this week.

In 2014 Vajiralongkorn appointed Suthida Tidjai, a former flight attendant for Thai Airways, as the deputy commander of his bodyguard unit. He made her a full general in the army in December 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48129428

The "General" is, at a guess, the woman with the poodle in the scandalous Munich photo. I wonder whether she remembers the poodle. Assuming the poodle at Munich was Foo Foo it was the only Air Chief Marshall in history not to hold a pilot certificate and it would still have outranked her even after the award of her latest uniform.

What a shambles of a country.

Return to “Social Human Rights”