What do I eat?

DesignerGal

What do I eat?

Post by DesignerGal »

I am a 28yr old female. I just started doing 1 hour of cardio a day. I have never been a heavy or over eater although I have gone from 115 lbs (size2) to 185 lbs (size 14-16) in five years (I am about 5'3"). I had my thyroid checked and it was normal.

I want to lose 60 lbs. Aside from the exercise everyday, what should I eat? Caloric intake? I have recently quit smoking (Im on the patch) too and dont want to gain more weight from this.

Should I take diet pills to jump start my weight loss? Will daily vitamins help?

I dont eat sweets and have cut out soda. Any other suggestions?

HBIC
minks

What do I eat?

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: I am a 28yr old female. I just started doing 1 hour of cardio a day. I have never been a heavy or over eater although I have gone from 115 lbs (size2) to 185 lbs (size 14-16) in five years (I am about 5'3"). I had my thyroid checked and it was normal.

I want to lose 60 lbs. Aside from the exercise everyday, what should I eat? Caloric intake? I have recently quit smoking (Im on the patch) too and dont want to gain more weight from this.

Should I take diet pills to jump start my weight loss? Will daily vitamins help?

Eat healthy, exercise loads and be patient.

Eat fruits and veggies, (tip. avacados are high in fat) stay away from fatty foods, processed foods, fast foods.

Eat lots of grains as well.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
DesignerGal

What do I eat?

Post by DesignerGal »

I get acid reflux really bad too. PCP says its because of being overweight.

HBIC
minks

What do I eat?

Post by minks »

DesignerGal wrote: I get acid reflux really bad too. PCP says its because of being overweight.

Oh yeck

― Mae West
Lon

What do I eat?

Post by Lon »

DesignerGal wrote: I am a 28yr old female. I just started doing 1 hour of cardio a day. I have never been a heavy or over eater although I have gone from 115 lbs (size2) to 185 lbs (size 14-16) in five years (I am about 5'3"). I had my thyroid checked and it was normal.

What you eat is less important (as long as it's nutritious) than making sure you burn more calories each day than you take in. Doing this daily, you will steadily loose weight. Measure your daily caloric intake against the number of calories burned by your physical activity.
chonsigirl

What do I eat?

Post by chonsigirl »

Eat 1200 cals a day, keep up the exercise, and it will come off. Good luck.
actionfigurestepho

What do I eat?

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I would eat normally for a few days and keep track of what you eat and how many calories it is in a journal. Then you can work on reducing the calories and upping the exercise.
minks

What do I eat?

Post by minks »

And further more, don't be afraid to come to the FG for encouragement and support YOU GO GIRL!

― Mae West
alobar51

What do I eat?

Post by alobar51 »

OK. First, take a deep breath.

There is no one size fits all diet. If you hope to be successful you must do a little planning, first. Failure to plan is planning to fail.

Each of us has a metabolic uniqueness. We burn fuel at varying rates, with a number of factors that determine that. In order to correctly diagnose those factors in you, you will need the help of a practitioner trained to do that. Trying to do it on your own is akin to cutting class, reading the book, and hoping to ace the final. You can do it, but it's pretty tough. Using the teacher as a resource always helps.

Most of the information found in the media, popular diet books, magazines and internet discussion forums is going to be confusing at best, and dangerously wrong, at worst.

In searching for a practitioner to help you, look for these things;

1. Do they search to find out whether you are a fast or slow oxidizer?

2. Do they search to find out whether you are parasympatheic or sympathetic nervous system dominant?

3. Do they use blood type as a diagnostic tool only, and not the basis for a fad diet?

4. Do they use high dose fish oils?

If they don't do those 4 things as a means for determining a starting point for helping you design the proper fuel mix for your "engine", run, don't walk out of their office.

Hint; Stay away from university trained nutritionists. Their training is largely funded by the food industry, making it marketing, not nutritional science.

A practitioner who can guide you through this part of the process will know which foods were built for you. These foods, are, not surprisingly, delicious, because nature made them especially with you in mind. It's not about deprivation, its about enjoyment.

Once you find the right mix, your weight takes care of itself. Your acid reflux will disappear.

As for exercise, two rules; it has to be practical, i.e. has too fit your schedule, and it has to be fun.

If it's not, it'll be a drudgery, and will increase stress, not decrease it. Increased stress raises the levels of stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol. This makes weight loss difficult. If it's fun and practical, you'll look forward to it as your time, and it will reduce those hormones.

Different strokes...some folks like walking in the park/beach, some like yoga or Tai Chi, some like kickboxing. Follow your bliss.

Remember, it's about progress, not perfection.
Rapunzel

What do I eat?

Post by Rapunzel »

Having been recently diagnosed as a diabetic, I would have your blood glucose levels checked! Millions of people are wandering around who don't realise they are diabetic.

If you're trying to get pregnant, diabetes can cause problems to the baby. I would suggest you see your practice nurse and dietician, get your body as healthy as possible ready for when you DO conceive! Also ask about taking folic acid tablets, as you should be taking those too. Hope that helps. :-6
Valerie100

What do I eat?

Post by Valerie100 »

I swear by Weight Watchers. I started back again to Weight Watchers eight weeks ago, and I'm down two dress sizes and 14.8 pounds. The Point System works well. You just have to remember that keeping the weight off is a way of life. If you can learn to change your eating habits and get into a regular exercise routine, it will be better for you. Weight Watchers is not just a diet. You eat regular food, but practice portion control. You'll learn a lot of tips and get a lot of support at the meetings. My instructor, June, is great. Weight Watchers is not as expensive as a lot of the other diets out there. I would call Weight Watchers and look into them if I were you.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”