Spam and Scam Thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Týr

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Týr »

Spammers sometimes get more forceful:I respectfully insist you read this message carefully before you either take a decision of proceeding or deleting my message as I am optimistic it will be successful for unimaginable financial benefit for the both of us.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Týr

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Týr »

I long for finding a special person for serious relations or even family life. Aren't you the one I am searching for?
AnneBoleyn

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I had one where the writer claimed to be a hitman hired by someone who knew me & wanted me dead. He wrote if I matched & exceeded what he was paid to kill me he would call off the hit. This was about five years ago. I sent it to the FBI & local police.
Týr

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Týr »

AnneBoleyn;1439747 wrote: I had one where the writer claimed to be a hitman hired by someone who knew me & wanted me dead.
Presumably the phrase "Aren't you the one I am searching for?" appeared in that too, then.
AnneBoleyn

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Týr;1439752 wrote: Presumably the phrase "Aren't you the one I am searching for?" appeared in that too, then.

He wasn't asking, he was telling.
YZGI

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by YZGI »

Týr;1439738 wrote: I long for finding a special person for serious relations or even family life. Aren't you the one I am searching for?

Good luck with that.
spot

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by spot »

Good Day,

I have a humanitarian project of Fifty Million United States Dollars for the Less Privileged and you will get 10% of the total sum as your share. Contact me for project details if interested please.

Regards,

Mr. Peter Micheal Worley

5, Nethergate House,

Dundee, DD1 4HN,

Scotland - United Kingdom

Chap can't even spell his own name.

The address is in fact the University of Dundee.

His return address is German.

The post came from Kansas.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Tude Dog is from Kansas. Just sayin...........
Bruv

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Bruv »

AnneBoleyn;1494273 wrote: Tude Dog is from Kansas. Just sayin...........

Dorothy and Toto too................remember.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Slight difference. One or more may be fictional characters. I'll let you guess who is really from Kansas.
Snowfire

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Snowfire »

Tude, what have you and Dorothy got to say about this ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by Bruv »

So Spot...........are you saying I shouldn't respond to this one ?

This is to bring to your notice that, I have paid the courier charges and the delivery of your ATM CARD.I paid it because the ATM CARD worth USD$2.8M has less Four weeks and four days to expire and when it expires the money will go into Government reserve. With that I decided to help you pay the money so that the ATM CARD will not expire, because I know when you get your ATM CARD definitely you must compensate me.

Now your ATM CARD has been deposited with DHL Courier Company for delivery so I want you to contact GLOBAL Courier Company with your Full Contact information so that they can deliver your ATM CARD to your designated address without any delay.

All I have to do is give them some simple information......and I will be quids in.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
ZAP

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by ZAP »

I am from Kansas.
FourPart

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by FourPart »

Tude Dog is fictional?
G#Gill

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by G#Gill »

ZAP;1494282 wrote: I am from Kansas.

But you're not in Kansas now are you? :confused:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by LarsMac »

I am in Kansas. Sitting at the Starbucks in Colby, testing out my new VPN.

Next stop, Salina.

Nope. Haven't seen Dorothy, or Toto.

Of course, for that matter, haven't seen YZGI, or Tude, either.

hmmm, coincidence?

Latest scam I have seen is when I reply to a Craiglist add for an RV, and get something like this.

Hi Larry,

The motor home is in perfect condition. The price is $10,000, shipping included. I am selling it because my husband died and I don't use it. It is in custody of the shipper in Denver, CO. I want to sell it through eBay, they offer protection for both buyer and seller.

Please let me know if you like it and if you want to buy it through eBay.

Thank You!

Linda
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by ZAP »

G#Gill;1494317 wrote: But you're not in Kansas now are you? :confused:

Sometimes in my dreams and when I'm writing, but physically...no. But I will be in June for my family reunion.

uh . . .is this still on topic?
G#Gill

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by G#Gill »

I keep getting texts about "The accident you had a short while ago - we can get you your rightful compensation". Or words to that effect! That is such a lot of bollox ! Worries me how they get my mobile phone number, unless they just pick numbers out of a hat ! :-5
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
ZAP

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by ZAP »

I was a 'Secret Shopper' last year for a short time. Then I got a check in the mail for $1800 from a company I didn't recognize, drawn on a bank in Tennessee. A note said to deposit the check and instructions would be forthcoming. I called the bank and was told that it was a scam. I reported it to the Attorney General's office. They told me to also report it to my local post office, (which is in a very small town) The postmistress told me that she had another complaint letter on her desk waiting for it to be sent in for mail fraud. She said the letter is usually accompanied by a letter telling the recipient (pigeon) to deposit the check and get a money order for $200 and send it to the scammer. Then they would be told what the following steps should be.
LarsMac

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1494386 wrote: I was a 'Secret Shopper' last year for a short time. Then I got a check in the mail for $1800 from a company I didn't recognize, drawn on a bank in Tennessee. A note said to deposit the check and instructions would be forthcoming. I called the bank and was told that it was a scam. I reported it to the Attorney General's office. They told me to also report it to my local post office, (which is in a very small town) The postmistress told me that she had another complaint letter on her desk waiting for it to be sent in for mail fraud. She said the letter is usually accompanied by a letter telling the recipient (pigeon) to deposit the check and get a money order for $200 and send it to the scammer. Then they would be told what the following steps should be.

And the following steps would be, "Surprise! you $1800 check bounced, and you're out $200 plus whatever portion of that you spent."

We had a similar one when we were running the B&B. Guy from England booked all four of our rooms for a week for some couples who were coming to the US for a trip. They sent us a check on some Bank in England, for the total room rent plus an extra $1500 we were supposed to turn into a Certified check and send to the "Rental Car Broker" who would arrange their rental car for the trip. We turned it over to the FBI, but of course nothing came of it. The FBI said that they would only be able to investigate if we were actually ripped off. Well, we were NOT going to take a $4500 hit for Truth, Justice and the American Way, thank you too much.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by ZAP »

"And the following steps would be, "Surprise! you $1800 check bounced, and you're out $200 plus whatever portion of that you spent."

Exactly!

I had read other descriptions of "jobs" and it said that you would be sent to a well-known store, Walmart, Target, Sears, etc. and be told to purchase an item like a TV or something fairly expensive but not so much that you would still have a few hundred as payment for your work. I was never selected to do any of these jobs. Mine were like shopping for a new cell phone at Costco, but not buying one, and filling out a questionnaire on how the sales staff worked. Sort of like a company spy. Then I would get paid later on Pay Pal. The forms were so lengthy and repetitive I got fed up pretty fast.
FourPart

Spam and Scam Thread

Post by FourPart »

I used to know someone who worked as a secret shopper. He would be given a shopping list to take to a particular store & a credit card, with which to pay for the goods, and then to make his report. There was no outlay on his part, and his salary was paid direct to his bank.

I had the attempt recently when I was selling Marcus, when I was expected to pay the shipping cost into a Western Union account (which, of course would be added to the sale price in order to reimburse me). He got rather uppity at me when I told him that I had reported him to the authorities, and quoted the reference number. Actually, I got a follow up email about that yesterday saying that there wasn't sufficient evidence to follow it up.

Return to “General Chit Chat”