The boondocks

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

The boondocks

Post by spot »

I spent several minutes looking up where the word came from and why, and how to find one, and why not to live there.

In the process I heard a song I'd never heard before by Billy Joe Royal, who I'd never heard of before, an obscure proto-C&W number called Down in the Boondocks.

As Wikipedia rather wonderfully puts it, "The girl's father is the singer's boss, which, along with the social division, prevents him from proclaiming his love and connecting with them, despite the shared feelings. The singer proclaims that "one fine day, I'll find a way, to move from this old shack," presumably to be able to join the higher class members of society and finally be able to date the girl within the public eye."

Someone enjoyed writing that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

The boondocks

Post by LarsMac »

Billy Joe Royal was not really C&W. He was on the edge of what was called Rockabilly.

Kind of a down-home Rock, Dance style, that appealed to the low rent district. "Down in the Boondocks" was once on about every Juke Box throughout the nation. Even the City kids could relate to being from the poor side of town. Johnny Rivers, another singer made several hits in the same theme.

Billy Joe's second best hit was "Hush" later made famous by Deep Purple, an early "Heavy Metal" Rock band.

Elvis brought Rockabilly to the fore when he first gained fame and Fortune.

The Boondocks were the lowland, under developed areas where the poor farmers, Sharecroppers, and factory workers lived. Usually on the wrong side of the tracks, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

The boondocks

Post by ZAP »

One of Johnny Rivers' big hit songs was entitled Poor Side Of Town. It appealed to me more than BJR's Down In The Boondocks did.

LarsMac

The boondocks

Post by LarsMac »

ZAP;1493425 wrote: One of Johnny Rivers' big hit songs was entitled Poor Side Of Town. It appealed to me more than BJR's Down In The Boondocks did.

I was a big fan of Rivers, too.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
along-for-the-ride

The boondocks

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

The boondocks

Post by ZAP »

Good one AFTR! I don't remember ever hearing that one. It's a little more uplifting than Down In The Boondocks. Several songs speak to the inequality of classes written about in DITB, among them "Patches" for the disadvantaged distaffs and Wolverton Mountain, I guess for the "lowlifes" ?
Saint_

The boondocks

Post by Saint_ »

Where I live, we have just shortened it to "The Boonies." For example, "Hey dude, I saw a mountain lion the other day out in the boonies."

And by the way, you really can see mountain lions where I live.
Wandrin

The boondocks

Post by Wandrin »

When I looked up the etymology of "boondocks", I expected to find some reference to Daniel Boone. Instead, the dictionary said it was derived from the Tagalog work "bundok" and was used by servicemen returning from the Philippines.

You pass through the boondocks on the way to Podunk.
Bored_Wombat

The boondocks

Post by Bored_Wombat »

From bundok, meaning mountain. Funny how meanings twist. Sometimes they flip, like "terrific".

Speaking of none of that, a recent word from the SGU podcast is 'Pleochroism' - an optical phenomenon in which a substance appears to be different colors when observed at different angles.

Use it in an internet post today.
along-for-the-ride

The boondocks

Post by along-for-the-ride »

ZAP;1493473 wrote: Good one AFTR! I don't remember ever hearing that one. It's a little more uplifting than Down In The Boondocks. Several songs speak to the inequality of classes written about in DITB, among them "Patches" for the disadvantaged distaffs and Wolverton Mountain, I guess for the "lowlifes" ?

I've always liked this song....................................the sense of joy and pride of where you came from.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bored_Wombat

The boondocks

Post by Bored_Wombat »

Last weekend's SGU word: thixotropy - the property of having a viscosity that decreases when a stress is applied, as when stirred.

I think a mind is metaphorically thixotropic: If you never apply pressure of questioning to your beliefs they become more and more rigid.
Bryn Mawr

The boondocks

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bored_Wombat;1493687 wrote: Last weekend's SGU word: thixotropy - the property of having a viscosity that decreases when a stress is applied, as when stirred.

I think a mind is metaphorically thixotropic: If you never apply pressure of questioning to your beliefs they become more and more rigid.

I like that - it is so true
FourPart

The boondocks

Post by FourPart »

I love the word. I half expect someone to open up their card & say "True" or Bluff".
spot

The boondocks

Post by spot »

I remain serene in the knowledge that all I believe is undoubtedly true, and all that is true is already known to me. I have evidently been left unstirred for quite a while.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bored_Wombat

The boondocks

Post by Bored_Wombat »

Last weekends word was "sciolism" - A pretentious attitude of scholarship; superficial knowledgeability.

Call someone a sciolist in an internet argument this week, and post a link below.

It should be easy if you can find a forum about Quantum Physics as expounded by Deepak Chopra, or Climate Science as expounded by Anthony Watts.

Return to “General Chit Chat”