Snow in New York

spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

I see the snow did appear, like the warnings said.

I'm sure there was a film about it a few years back with a Statue of Liberty up to her neck in ice. It was an awful film.

eta: though I have found a magnificent review of it... The characters in the movie would have to be massively

deepened to be called shallow. The major conflict is

that of the Quaid character, who has missed much of his

son's upbringing owing to his penchant for jumping crevasses

on remote ice shelves. His wife's anger at this I rate at

137 MilliPeeves, where one Peeve equals the feeling you get

when the coffee shop runs out of your favourite creamer, and

you have to use your second favourite. This is understated

acting.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/r ... djr3oVUm4J

The entire review deserves to be red.

"This movie is to climate science as Frankenstein is to heart transplant surgery".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Snow in New York

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yeah, it's more than the warnings said. 6pm, still going strong after starting about 21 hours ago, with another 13 hours predicted. The bad thing is the wind, can knock you right over. I was out for a bit because my son taunted me "You'll be sorry if you don't!" It was hard, took me half hour to walk completely around block. Am used to cold & lotsa snow from living in Wisconsin & New Hampshire. Could have stayed out longer, but couldn't answer my own question of "Why?"
chonsigirl

Snow in New York

Post by chonsigirl »

Ranked #1 snowfall in DC/Baltimore. Drifts were about 6' or more, had to shovel side of house 3 times to keep the heat. But no school today. :)
Saint_

Snow in New York

Post by Saint_ »

spot;1491893 wrote: I see the snow did appear, like the warnings said.

I'm sure there was a film about it a few years back with a Statue of Liberty up to her neck in ice. It was an awful film.

Yeah, "The Day After" That film was only worth watching for the special effects. I particulary laughed when Quaid, after braving the storm and ridiculously getting his buddy killed, finds his son at the same exact minute helicopters arrive to evacuate everyone. Duh.

We've ben getting tons of moisture here in New Mexico as well. It's snowed six times and we had our first double snow day in a half century this year. Thanks for everything El Nino. These are the San Juan mountains just thirty miles to the north of my house.

spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

I fear "unbelievable" is not a term of commendation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Snow in New York

Post by LarsMac »

My cousin in Maryland has posted pictures of their neighborhood. a rather large complex of town houses, with common parking areas buried under 4 feet of snow. the snow plows have nowhere to even begin moving all of the snow. it could take days for them to be able to get out to the street.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Snow in New York

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1491937 wrote: Yeah, "The Day After" That film was only worth watching for the special effects. I particulary laughed when Quaid, after braving the storm and ridiculously getting his buddy killed, finds his son at the same exact minute helicopters arrive to evacuate everyone. Duh.

We've ben getting tons of moisture here in New Mexico as well. It's snowed six times and we had our first double snow day in a half century this year. Thanks for everything El Nino. These are the San Juan mountains just thirty miles to the north of my house.

Heck. I've seen the San Juan Mountains look just about like that in June, even. one of my grandkids lives just about thirty miles the other side of them from you.

You guys ought to meet in the middle, some day. :)
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Snow in New York

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1491949 wrote: My cousin in Maryland has posted pictures of their neighborhood. a rather large complex of town houses, with common parking areas buried under 4 feet of snow. the snow plows have nowhere to even begin moving all of the snow. it could take days for them to be able to get out to the street.

Same thing from my niece in a suburb of Baltimore. Her street, in a neighborhood of large homes, is under 4 feet of snow, which they have to work their way over to get to a larger street which has been plowed.
chonsigirl

Snow in New York

Post by chonsigirl »

The snow is still melting here in Baltimore, schools still closed. But I think enough will melt away we can return tomorrow. Lots of shoveling for days, lots of refreezing ice at night.
spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

When you think there's all that beach and fresh air round Acapulco, one wonders quite what the relative attraction of snow-laden Baltimore might be. Not that I've seen Acapulco, but it does sound attractive.
AnneBoleyn

Snow in New York

Post by AnneBoleyn »

This thread is titled Snow in New York. What's Baltimore have to do with it? Or Colorado, New Mexico, etc.
ZAP

Snow in New York

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1492057 wrote: This thread is titled Snow in New York. What's Baltimore have to do with it? Or Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

Spot didn't complain when you mentioned Wisconsin and New Hampshire.
LarsMac

Snow in New York

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1492057 wrote: This thread is titled Snow in New York. What's Baltimore have to do with it? Or Colorado, New Mexico, etc.

Snowed in all them places, too. Same storm.

But non of us could get to New York, because of the snow.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Snow in New York

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yes, Lars, & Zap, & I forgot to say 'LOL' in my post as I was just kidding. :-)
spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

My problem is that I know very little of Baltimore. It would appear to be a small city about the size of Bristol in England from whence I hail, but with rather less history attached to it.

New York, on the other hand, is famed the world over.
LarsMac

Snow in New York

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1492073 wrote: Yes, Lars, & Zap, & I forgot to say 'LOL' in my post as I was just kidding. :-)

I knew that. (in my best Clouseau voice.)
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Snow in New York

Post by ZAP »

AnneBoleyn;1492073 wrote: Yes, Lars, & Zap, & I forgot to say 'LOL' in my post as I was just kidding. :-)

Sorry if I sounded a bit testy. I should have known you were kidding. :thinking:
ZAP

Snow in New York

Post by ZAP »

spot;1492074 wrote: My problem is that I know very little of Baltimore. It would appear to be a small city about the size of Bristol in England from whence I hail, but with rather less history attached to it.

New York, on the other hand, is famed the world over.

I had to look up what the population of Bristol is, actually 200,000 or so less than Baltimore. To us Yanks, or this Yank at least, it is famous because that is the site of the birth of The Star Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key, which I cry to every time I hear it. Now it's infamous for its race riots, escalated by the arrest and death of Freddie Gray In April. In this article there is a warning to visitors to be careful.

Baltimore travel guide - Wikitravel
spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

ZAP;1492103 wrote: To us Yanks, or this Yank at least, it is famous because that is the site of the birth of The Star Spangled BannerAmericans remember that defeat? I'm surprised it's not been swept under the carpet. A third of a century after the British expelled their American Colonies from the Empire, the newly-federated United States declared war on the United Kingdom, in protest at our Royal Navy blockading American slave ships (by which action we, the British, finally, permanently and laudably prevented the terrible slave trade across the Atlantic). The US reacted to our fire-razing their White House in Washington by perfidiously invading Canada, from whence they were unceremoniously ejected by militias loyal to the Crown who have enforced peace on that border ever since.

This rather futile conflict is indeed remembered in song, but it's scarcely the one you mention. It's Jimmy Driftwood's "Battle of New Orleans", made famous by a Scots-Irish Londoner, Anthony James Donegan, King of Skiffle and National Treasure in perpetuity. It is such a blatantly biased work that we over here enjoy singing it at parties. It is a ballad from which the last trace of patriotic fervor has long since been rinsed, leaving only an ironic sense of piled-high exaggeration.
FourPart

Snow in New York

Post by FourPart »

I would find the main thing historically noteworthy of Bristol has to be that it was the hometown of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
LarsMac

Snow in New York

Post by LarsMac »

It was your impressing of US Merchant seamen that really set it off, along with trade restrictions and a few other things. Little to do with slavery, since you Brits still participated in the trade, yourselves, then.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1492127 wrote: Little to do with slavery, since you Brits still participated in the trade, yourselves, then.Oh I say - not at all. Banned to every Subject of His Majesty in 1807, if I remember right.
spot

Snow in New York

Post by spot »

FourPart;1492124 wrote: I would find the main thing historically noteworthy of Bristol has to be that it was the hometown of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

I may be entirely uninformed but I have no recollection of Brunel ever having been resident in Bristol, though he visited often for business reasons. He was a 2nd generation immigrant Londoner, born wherever his father happened to be working at the time, educated in France, with a family home in Westminster once he settled.

Return to “Current Events”