Emergency Heating

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

Just as with last month, I got home last night to find that the Emergency Credit on my heating / hot water account had run out, despite the Direct Debit having gone through on Thursday & not yet been credited to my account, so I am now without heating or hot water, probably until Tuesday.

In this coldest weekend of the year, it is not the best of times to be left over an entire weekend without heating. Fortunately, with the block having excellent insulation & a certain amount of ambient heat from the rest of the building, despite being uncomfortable I won't freeze. I've managed to give a boost to the place by putting the oven on & leaving the door open, but I've also tried a dumbed down, emergency version of this:

I've used a sandwich baking tin as the base, with a couple of knitting needles to allow for ventilation (to keep the candles burning), with an upturned saucepan on top, and a Pyrex casserole dish lid / plate on top to dissipate the heat. No doubt the original design would be far more effective, if I had the required materials, but even this simple version gave off a surprising amount of heat powered only by 3 tea light candles - certainly a useful tip in case of emergency such as this.
spot

Emergency Heating

Post by spot »

My indoor digital thermometer says 9.5°C and I'm sat in short-sleeve t-shirts. I have, admittedly, two shirts on, but I'd not describe it as cold at the moment. It's one of the many advantages of life on the Cornish coast.

The candle heater is ingenious.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

That's a clever 'wheeze', FourPart! It's surprising the heat a couple of candles can generate. We used a similar ploy to keep our marine engine in working order during the 90's when we were running a river trip-boat, rather than 'winterizing' it ( we used a couple of paraffin lamps in the engine room to keep the frost at bay).

Hope you had a good Christmas/new year buddy! Saw you riding 'Marcus' through the flood- did you find it harder to balance because you couldn't see the road, or were you avoiding the deeper water? Well done, either way!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

I was avoiding the deeper water, as I knew it was flooded on the other side a few days earlier - that's why I went on the opposite side. What I didn't realise at the time, though, that it wasn't just a case of the drains being blocked in the heavy rain, but that the local river had burst its banks, and all that area is a flood plain. It wasn't until I reached the middle that I discovered there was a strong undercurrent (in the video you can clearly see the point at which it hit me). Although the instructors at the Riding School were taking the pee out of me, they did agree that I managed the slow riding very well, keeping the revs very high, just as I had been taught - although if I hadn't the engine would have definitely cut out, as the exhaust pipe was underwater.

As for the heating saucepan, I'm using it again tonight - it's not much, but it keeps the chill at bay. I sent an email to my Councillor last night, and I got a reply tonight saying that such a situation was clearly not acceptable, especially in this weather - particularly as the payment's already been taken from my bank - it's just that it takes so long to be credited to my account, and even then only during office hours (Mon - Fri), despite the fact that people need heating 24 / 7.

This is their website:

Wilson Energy

The whois info:

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 27-Jul-2007

Expiry date: 27-Jul-2016

Last updated: 21-Jul-2015

In other words, it's been up since 2007, and last updated in July, and it's still "Site Under Construction".
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

When I got up this morning the heating was back on, so I suspect my Councillor, who I emailed, has probably been onto them. Anyway, I phoned them to register a formal complaint (firstly making it clear that I wasn't having a personal go at the girl on the end of the phone). Then even more dirt came to light. My account was, indeed showing as zero usage all weekend, but was still showing £1 Emergency Credit, which might have been understandable if, as suspected, my Councillor had arranged to have that extra £1 added until the payment was credited, However, there wasn't any mention on their system of any 'payment' (adding to Emergency Credit) having been made, and that the balance had never gone below that -£1 which has puzzled them somewhat, as that should be theoretically impossible, as the audit trail would show any changes made, manually or automatic, and the energy supply should not cut off until it reaches the end of that Emergency Credit (£5), so if they had manually extended it, it should read -£6 or, if they had made a manual 'payment', -£4 - but no. Just -£1.

The problems I've had with this company just beggars belief. The problem is that I can't change my provider as it's just a contractor to the Council.
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1491548 wrote: I was avoiding the deeper water, as I knew it was flooded on the other side a few days earlier - that's why I went on the opposite side. What I didn't realise at the time, though, that it wasn't just a case of the drains being blocked in the heavy rain, but that the local river had burst its banks, and all that area is a flood plain. It wasn't until I reached the middle that I discovered there was a strong undercurrent (in the video you can clearly see the point at which it hit me). Although the instructors at the Riding School were taking the pee out of me, they did agree that I managed the slow riding very well, keeping the revs very high, just as I had been taught - although if I hadn't the engine would have definitely cut out, as the exhaust pipe was underwater.

As for the heating saucepan, I'm using it again tonight - it's not much, but it keeps the chill at bay. I sent an email to my Councillor last night, and I got a reply tonight saying that such a situation was clearly not acceptable, especially in this weather - particularly as the payment's already been taken from my bank - it's just that it takes so long to be credited to my account, and even then only during office hours (Mon - Fri), despite the fact that people need heating 24 / 7.

This is their website:

Wilson Energy

The whois info:

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 27-Jul-2007

Expiry date: 27-Jul-2016

Last updated: 21-Jul-2015

In other words, it's been up since 2007, and last updated in July, and it's still "Site Under Construction".

Typical! Take your money at light-speed, fix a problem at similar momentum to a retreating glacier....Maybe a threat to report them to 'Watchdog' might help?
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

The implications go much deeper, though. I'm relatively fit & active. I'm capable of taking action in emergencies, such as making the emergency heater. Because, with the nature of my work, dealing with domiciliary care, I come into contact with the elderly & disabled every day, first of all they are very much reliant on good, reliable heating, but the real hidden danger is that a lot of the time they tend not to notice it getting cold. This results in their slipping into hypothermia without even realising it. This has been the coldest weekend this winter. There is no emergency contact number. The only number is a 9 - 5, Mon - Fri one. Even the billing email addresses both relate to a couple of their employees who are currently on Maternity Leave, so any emails just bounce back with an automated response. Apparently there is a central email address,bureau@wilsonenergy.co.uk, but that's not shown on the website.

The best I can do at the moment is to keep campaigning for the Council not to grant them their current bid to increase their coverage over the rest of the city - at least, not with some very major changes, such as:

24 / 7 Contact Centre (or at least to include an Out of Hours Emergency Service).

More flexibility in payment methods (Prepay / Arrears / Direct Debit / Standing Order / Online etc.)

Up to date website, with generic contact details (or even a form webmail).

Frequent Customer Satisfaction surveys.

I don't see any of these as being unreasonable. Indeed, they are the basic foundations of most other companies - especially with utilities.

Better still, though, would be to find another company that would provide all those services, only do it properly.
Saint_

Emergency Heating

Post by Saint_ »

That's hardcore, man. I wish you had a fireplace. Where I live, you can get a cord of pinon and cedar for around $120. Everyone has huge fireplaces, too. Oh well, as my mom would say, 'Put on a jacket if you're cold!"
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

By the time I got home that £1 additional Emergency Credit had run out, and once again the heating's off.
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1491562 wrote: The implications go much deeper, though. I'm relatively fit & active. I'm capable of taking action in emergencies, such as making the emergency heater. Because, with the nature of my work, dealing with domiciliary care, I come into contact with the elderly & disabled every day, first of all they are very much reliant on good, reliable heating, but the real hidden danger is that a lot of the time they tend not to notice it getting cold. This results in their slipping into hypothermia without even realising it. This has been the coldest weekend this winter. There is no emergency contact number. The only number is a 9 - 5, Mon - Fri one. Even the billing email addresses both relate to a couple of their employees who are currently on Maternity Leave, so any emails just bounce back with an automated response. Apparently there is a central email address,bureau@wilsonenergy.co.uk, but that's not shown on the website.

The best I can do at the moment is to keep campaigning for the Council not to grant them their current bid to increase their coverage over the rest of the city - at least, not with some very major changes, such as:

24 / 7 Contact Centre (or at least to include an Out of Hours Emergency Service).

More flexibility in payment methods (Prepay / Arrears / Direct Debit / Standing Order / Online etc.)

Up to date website, with generic contact details (or even a form webmail).

Frequent Customer Satisfaction surveys.

I don't see any of these as being unreasonable. Indeed, they are the basic foundations of most other companies - especially with utilities.

Better still, though, would be to find another company that would provide all those services, only do it properly.

A very dangerous situation indeed for the elderly and disabled; could easily result in fatalities! All the more reason to report the energy supplier! What a shoddy 'service' they do provide...
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

I've just received a CC from my Councillor making enquiries about my right to change provider. I very much doubt it is possible, but even if making the move to try gets something done, all the better.
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1491625 wrote: I've just received a CC from my Councillor making enquiries about my right to change provider. I very much doubt it is possible, but even if making the move to try gets something done, all the better.

Slipshod providers like this need exposing to harsh publicity. Nothing like 'daylight' to wake these complacent buggers up!
Bryn Mawr

Emergency Heating

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1491625 wrote: I've just received a CC from my Councillor making enquiries about my right to change provider. I very much doubt it is possible, but even if making the move to try gets something done, all the better.

Watchdog?
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

Bryn Mawr;1491652 wrote: Watchdog?

I've suggested that also. One thing these companies hate is adverse publicity. Amazing how fast they tend to clean up their act when the cameras point in their direction, and awkward questions are asked!
Bryn Mawr

Emergency Heating

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Smaug;1491681 wrote: I've suggested that also. One thing these companies hate is adverse publicity. Amazing how fast they tend to clean up their act when the cameras point in their direction, and awkward questions are asked!

Sounds the best solution - it's the type of case they love to pursue.
Smaug

Emergency Heating

Post by Smaug »

Bryn Mawr;1491689 wrote: Sounds the best solution - it's the type of case they love to pursue.

Yes indeed. Puts a firecracker up their 'jacksie'!
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

It's strange at the moment - the credit still hasn't been added, but it seems that since 20 / 12 / 15, according to the meters there, for no apparent reason the heating seems to have started coming on at 05:00 & going off at 18:00. If this was a timer issue set up at this end, then pressing the 'Boost' button would override for up to 3 hours, but nothing happens, other than display it on the LCD display (so there is clearly power there), but no lights come on or anything. They're sending someone round to check it out next Wednesday - in the meantime....

Fortunately I've been able to borrow one of the small fan heaters we keep at work for such emergencies with our clients (the elderly & vulnerable). That's helping give the place a bit of a boost at the moment. However, as I type I can hear it's just cut out. I'm hoping it's just an automatic safety cutout. Yes - it must be - it's just started up- again, although it's amazing how quickly the air gets cold again as soon as it stops.
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

Fourpart, if you have no power, how does the fan heater work? Also how can you use your PC ? I'm confused.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

G#Gill;1491738 wrote: Fourpart, if you have no power, how does the fan heater work? Also how can you use your PC ? I'm confused.
The heating / hot water is powered by a central gas boiler on the roof of the building. This pumps hot water around the building, which also provides the hot running water by way of a heat exchanger tank on the same principle of an immersion heater. Each flat has a meter which is connected to the monitoring system at Wilson Energy. This is on a prepayment system. I choose to pay mine by Monthly Direct Debit. When that Credit runs out it automatically switches to Emergency Credit of £5. When that runs out the flow valve closes which stops the supply of hot water entirely. The only connection it has to the electricity supply is the thermostat unit & the meter which sends the data to Wilson Energy.
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

Uh oh, it's just the heating that's up the Swanee ? Mmm, they are sending somebody out to 'look' at it NEXT Wednesday ? What a load of sh1 t! That means that you, as far as they're concerned, have no heating in your place ! I seeth for you FourPart ! I think I would be contemplating something violent by now, if it was happening to me !

They are very fortunate that you are such an easy-tempered man. I'm afraid I would be phoning their appropriate office every hour, on the hour, every day, so they get so fed up with me that they will send somebody round just a tad sooner than 7 days time!

FFS who do these people think they are ? They appear to have your money but are not supplying the commodity that you have paid for - I believe that could be construed as fraud ? What a load of absolute rubbish that company is. I would think that it would encourage the authorities to change supplier - straight away ! Ah but they aren't experiencing the awful discomfort that you are experiencing. are they, so maybe the urgency is not foremost in their thoughts ? Besides, a change would entail quite a lot of organisation and possible difficulty. I suppose they can't change supplier - too awkward and complicated to organise eh?

Try to keep warm Fourpart. I believe the outside temp. is easing a little in the next few days. Take care. :)
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

Thanks for the explanation, FourPart, sorry I didn't grasp the situation sooner !
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

I think I'd be tempted to call on Wilson Energy in person and demand to use their shower, as you have no hot water even though it is paid for. Has anybody else in your block got the same trouble with Wilson Energy? If Wilson Energy haven't got shower facilities within the office complex, perhaps you could call on the Council and ask to use their shower facility.

One thought, if you do go round with your towel and shower gel to Wilson Energy, perhaps take your tame councillor with you. In any case, I would be tempted to take your councillor with you regardless of whether Wilson 'non-energy' has a shower or not !

If they don't have shower facilities, they must surely have hot water available in a wash room area where you could be let to have a good wash in their hot water wash basin ! Oh and while you're doing that, I suggest you take a tame reporter with camera with you to record the deed and the reaction of Wilson Energy (sorry non-energy). You could get another half page coverage in your local daily paper ! :wah:

It may prove to be quite advantageous, FourPart. You never know, maybe your heating will be active within 24 hours ! Have you got an effective local TV station there ? Just a thought ! :lips: I see 'Watchdog' has already been mentioned, but local press and TV coverage is a bit sooner.
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

The problem is that I'm in Southampton & they're in Newark, in Nottinghamshire. I'm not even so sure at the moment if it is a case of the credit having run out - that could just be conincidental at the moment & have only become aware of it because of the low temperatures. According to their readings things started going silly on 20/12/15, when the valve would open at 05:00 & close at 18:00. This seems to be the case at the moment, as the heating is on right now, but will probably go off again in a few hours (once it starts to get cold). Yesterday they told me that I was only into £1 of Emergency Credit, despite the heating being off. A couple of months ago I had someone from the Council round to turn the timer off altogether & simply set it to thermostat mode instead, but the 20th was on a Sunday, so that wouldn't have affected it - besides, he was here long before that. The thing is, though, that even if it were on Timer mode, then pressing the Boost button should override any programmed settings for up to 3 hours, and it's not doing a thing.

As I'm typing this post, the credit has literally just been added to my little Mobix meter (the portable display that monitors energy usage & remaining credit), and it looks like they've also added the £20 'Goodwill' they were hinting at yesterday, as the balance is now reading £45.31. Hopefully that will resolve the situation, but I will have to wait a few hours to determine if it has done so (i.e. whether or not it switches off at 18:00).
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

Well, hopefully FourPart, your heating problem is sorted. If the heating switches off at 1800 hrs. The engineer will have to call in to sort that out ? If your over-ride is not functioning correctly, they will have to sort that too ! We have a timer for our central heating and it is timed to switch off around 11.30 pm and comes on again at around 7 am. In the meantime we are able to use the thermostat to regulate the heating between 7 am and 11.30 pm. We never touch the timer and in summer when it is warm, we just have the thermostat turned down to around 10 C, and that makes sure the heating does not switch on.
Bryn Mawr

Emergency Heating

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1491740 wrote: The heating / hot water is powered by a central gas boiler on the roof of the building. This pumps hot water around the building, which also provides the hot running water by way of a heat exchanger tank on the same principle of an immersion heater. Each flat has a meter which is connected to the monitoring system at Wilson Energy. This is on a prepayment system. I choose to pay mine by Monthly Direct Debit. When that Credit runs out it automatically switches to Emergency Credit of £5. When that runs out the flow valve closes which stops the supply of hot water entirely. The only connection it has to the electricity supply is the thermostat unit & the meter which sends the data to Wilson Energy.

Every other energy company runs monthly direct debit as an annual aggregate with a credit / debit balance floating between reviews. It sounds as though they're billing you in advance on their estimate of what you will use over the next month (otherwise how can the "credit" run out?) so it's their estimate that's faulty, not your payment.

Or have I got it totally AAF?
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

That's exactly how it works - apart from that they don't set the Direct Debit amount. In the past I've been told by both Wilson & the Council that Wilson don't have the capability to combine their finance dept & the metering section. Then, yesterday, I was told that the Council specifically stated that all payments were to be prepay only.

Now that I have credit I think things may be sorted - I've got out my trusty paperclip & have returned the thermostat to Factory Settings. Now, although it did cut out at 18:00 I seem to have my heating back on. If all's still ok in a couple of days, then I might get back to them to cancel the engineer's visit. However, I will still be campaigning to get the right to pay by Direct Debit in Arrears.
G#Gill

Emergency Heating

Post by G#Gill »

I have pre-payment meters so that my gas and electric are always paid for as I use them. It costs a little more than if one paid by Direct Debit, but at least I know that I will never be in arrears with my gas or electric. I am also very glad to avoid the large quarterly bills. I know that it would be cheaper to pay quarterly or by Direct Debit, but from experience and with the best will in the world, I know how difficult it is to put aside monies to cover these bills when they come in. I'm afraid I am not like many others who can save a certain amount of money for quarterly bills. Most of my bills are paid by Direct Debit as we are on a fixed income (pension), and that way I know where I am with budgeting my money.
FourPart

Emergency Heating

Post by FourPart »

Prepayment is fine for those who prefer it that way but, as you say, it's normally on a higher tariff, which has always struck me as being illogical, as you are, in effect, paying them to let you lend them your money. However, I much prefer the convenience of Direct Debit. I have my monthly outgoings all scheduled, with some to spare. The rate I pay for my heating is the same as if I were to pay for it at the local shop, but as I rarely use the local shop it's inconvenient to have to make a journey there just to get some credit added.

However, you have just reminded me that I need to get on to Wilson to cancel their engineer's visit next week.

Return to “General Chit Chat”