The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I live in an area where the only real traffic problem is on the weekends, when all the bicyclists are out riding on the roads in large groups. Or when the local brewery is hosting live music.

Bad traffic means it will take 15 minutes to get to the other side of town, instead of 10.

I do NOT miss the big city life.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1483725 wrote: I live in an area where the only real traffic problem is on the weekends, when all the bicyclists are out riding on the roads in large groups. Or when the local brewery is hosting live music.

Bad traffic means it will take 15 minutes to get to the other side of town, instead of 10.

I do NOT miss the big city life.

The irony is I was traveling from semi rural Kent, to rustic Wiltshire.I didn't have to go into any towns.

The M25 is laughingly called a car park with good reason and inspired the Chris Rea song Road to Hell

The worst road was the M3 though, here is the Route and today Google says it's 2 hours 38 minutes.............I will never believe them ever again.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is a long drive, and thought the hour and ten minute drive I took to D.C. this weekend was far........but I saw the harbor this time and it was quite pretty in the summer.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Saturdays are notoriously bad in August. It's changeover day after all so half the nation is on the move. The roads are bad here throughout the week too, especially when the weather is not nice enough for the beach. I do my best to not go far during August, silly season we call it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1483778 wrote: Saturdays are notoriously bad in August. It's changeover day after all so half the nation is on the move. The roads are bad here throughout the week too, especially when the weather is not nice enough for the beach. I do my best to not go far during August, silly season we call it.

I might have known it wasn't normal.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It might be very obvious but I have to ask.

I was sky watching today, two planes crossing in a blue sky, one left a white wispy trail of white, the other was trail free.

So.......how does that happen,what causes the trail and why does one plane have it and the other doesn't ?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1483877 wrote: It might be very obvious but I have to ask.

I was sky watching today, two planes crossing in a blue sky, one left a white wispy trail of white, the other was trail free.

So.......how does that happen,what causes the trail and why does one plane have it and the other doesn't ?

I'd have thought the type of aircraft and the altitude was the biggest consideration. Unless of course one is a believer in chem trails and the conspiracy that surrounds those claims
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

It's a good job I only worry about trivial things, else talk of chem trails and conspiracy could set me off a downward spiral.

I Googled it and it is down to engine type and air temperature. Variations are due to different air conditions, the trails are condensation so different altitude combined with engine type and conditions surrounding the aircraft all affect them.

There are people out there that were so concerned and find these *cough* 'contrails' so interesting they have made websites about the phenomena
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I have a neighbor with whom I have enjoyed some great conversations, but last week, he started in on the chem-trail stuff, and that lead to the Malaysian plane, and before long he had Obama at the heart of a global conspiracy to spread birth control chemicals that will make all white folks sterile.

I just had to walk away.

I now take an entirely different path when taking Pitstop for our daily walks.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

I am off to yet another wedding in Weybridge today......M25 again............wish me luck
spot

Post by spot »

I've no idea why you don't just get the local helicopter firm to drop you there and back, it saves all the effort.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483945 wrote: I've no idea why you don't just get the local helicopter firm to drop you there and back, it saves all the effort.

And I should think Weybridge has a few helipads.

Went like a dream this trip, Google has been vindicated.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1483969 wrote: And I should think Weybridge has a few helipads.
I went over Surrey in a helicopter once. Some of it's woods and fields and the rest is swimming pools in back gardens.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483974 wrote: I went over Surrey in a helicopter once. Some of it's woods and fields and the rest is swimming pools in back gardens.

Back gardens ? Must have been the poorer parts.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Fg isn't very easy to navigate from a phone. Internet is pretty crap this evening too.
spot

Post by spot »

And there was me thinking you took a Kindle.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Oh my word, a floral tracksuit .. Really ?? Hope that look doesn't come to England. Yikes we'll be back to shell suits soon.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1484669 wrote: And there was me thinking you took a Kindle. I uses that for reading not tried browsing with it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484670 wrote: Oh my word, a floral tracksuit .. Really ?? Hope that look doesn't come to England. Yikes we'll be back to shell suits soon.

So you are away ?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1484682 wrote: So you are away ?. I'm not there but I am here in the heat struggling with a six inch screen.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484688 wrote: . I'm not there but I am here in the heat struggling with a six inch screen.

Bloody hard work isn't it ?

I shall take that as a yes.......you don't have to struggle to answer.
spot

Post by spot »

I take a laptop under my socks in my pull-along overnight trolley.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

[QUOTE=Bruv;1484690]Bloody hard work isn't it ?

I shall take that as a yes.......you don't have to struggle to answer.[/QUOTE

I am in sveti vlas, I thought you were being sarcastic :-2
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Betty Boop;1484692 wrote: [QUOTE=Bruv;1484690]Bloody hard work isn't it ?

I shall take that as a yes.......you don't have to struggle to answer.[/QUOTE

I am in sveti vlas, I thought you were being sarcastic :-2

My phone is dying lol arrggghhh
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484692 wrote: I am in Sveti Vlas, I thought you were being sarcastic :-2

Sarcastic........moi ?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1484696 wrote: Sarcastic........moi ?

No, never

My observations are, there are a lot of lampposts here held together with duct tape, and why are they in the middle of the pavement ?? The pavements are shocking, you could break your neck on a dark night.

Why in Europe do they always place an electric socket above the sink and the hob right next to the sink. To make tea or toast you end up balancing a kettle or toaster between the sink and hob with great risk of them falling into the sink.

I've seen lots of hand bag dogs, no poo on pavements like at home. So maybe dog in a bag is the way to go?

Why do Germans sound so aggressive all the time.

Why do all Bulgarian women have high pitch voices lol

Why do a lot of Bulgarian men seem so arrogant, bar the lovely chap on reception with wonderful eyebrows (according to my daughter) who arranged for us to move apartments yesterday.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484724 wrote:

My observations are, there are a lot of lampposts here held together with duct tape, and why are they in the middle of the pavement ?? The pavements are shocking, you could break your neck on a dark night.

Why in Europe do they always place an electric socket above the sink and the hob right next to the sink. To make tea or toast you end up balancing a kettle or toaster between the sink and hob with great risk of them falling into the sink.

I've seen lots of hand bag dogs, no poo on pavements like at home. So maybe dog in a bag is the way to go?

Why do Germans sound so aggressive all the time.

Why do all Bulgarian women have high pitch voices lol

Why do a lot of Bulgarian men seem so arrogant, bar the lovely chap on reception with wonderful eyebrows (according to my daughter) who arranged for us to move apartments yesterday.

Buy lots of duct tape.......it must be 'On Offer'

The lamp posts help Brits remain upright returning to their apartment after a night on the lash.

Aggressive Germans ? I think it might be in their genes.........

The womens voices being high pitched is to irritate their arrogant husbands......it is their only weapon.

This fellow's eyebrows ? are they defined........plucked ? He may be gay, he is obviously different from his other countrymen.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1484728 wrote: Buy lots of duct tape.......it must be 'On Offer'

The lamp posts help Brits remain upright returning to their apartment after a night on the lash.

Aggressive Germans ? I think it might be in their genes.........

The womens voices being high pitched is to irritate their arrogant husbands......it is their only weapon.

This fellow's eyebrows ? are they defined........plucked ? He may be gay, he is obviously different from his other countrymen.

They have the appearance of being waxed they are "on point" according to those that know.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484732 wrote: They have the appearance of being waxed they are "on point" according to those that know.

He's a ballet dancer ?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1484735 wrote: He's a ballet dancer ?

Hmmm I can imagine him in tights lol
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1484754 wrote: Hmmm I can imagine him in tights lol

I betcha can.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

My left shoulder is peeling :-1
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1485338 wrote: My left shoulder is peeling :-1

You should turn around hourly.
spot

Post by spot »

Oil and photos, that ought to fix it. Apply regularly and post as attachments.

You're sure it's not just bite marks?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bruv;1485339 wrote: You should over around hourly.

Is that I should turn over hourly?

I'd be burnt to a crisp! Twenty mins each side then get under the umbrella lol I know my limits. The shoulders got an extra exposure on a very hot day when stuck waiting an hour for a bus that runs every twenty minutes.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1485343 wrote: Oil and photos, that ought to fix it. Apply regularly and post as attachments.

You're sure it's not just bite marks?

Forgot my camera. Will lard do, it's instantly liquid in this heat anyway.
spot

Post by spot »

It would certainly stop the chap from biting, if nothing else.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Think I'll stick with slapping Vaseline on it.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1485344 wrote: Is that I should turn over hourly?

I'd be burnt to a crisp! Twenty mins each side then get under the umbrella lol I know my limits. The shoulders got an extra exposure on a very hot day when stuck waiting an hour for a bus that runs every twenty minutes.

I've done a sly edit........Don't know what your talking about.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I've chuckled to myself a lot this holiday.

There's the bar in sunny beach where for one night only you can buy three cocktails for the price of one, they forgot to mention that happens every night though.

You can buy Smirnoff vodka at one place and its exclusive for everyone.

Here at the hotel the signs on the doors warn you to be aware of risk of penetration.

Someone left their keks in a supermarket (name of biscuits)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Despite the locals being miserable, you seemed to have had an entertaining time there ! :wah:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

We met some nice Bulgarians today. A couple with three children who rent a tiny pitch down on the beach front. She's a beautician and he does braiding and henna tattoos. They live at sunny beach all year round and spend all the summer at their pitch from ten am until midnight most nights. The children spend all day playing on the beach or around the stalls. In the winter months they work from home. They holiday once a year in Turkey for a week. I didn't dare ask how much money they make from the tourists throughout the summer, they were a really nice friendly couple. She said she liked the Scottish and Irish and not so much the British as they were more rude lol I did explain in detail that we were Cornish, not British :D
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Dis-owning the 'family' now,eh? Can't say as I blame you.... Some of our number, when abroad, seem to dispense with decency and manners,

mistaking rudeness and debauchery for eloquence.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Smaug;1485411 wrote: Dis-owning the 'family' now,eh? Can't say as I blame you.... Some of our number, when abroad, seem to dispense with decency and manners,

mistaking rudeness and debauchery for eloquence.

We fly out of here lunchtime tomorrow,we then have the delights of luton overnight. I can't wait to have a decent cup of coffee that's not out of a machine.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Betty Boop;1485438 wrote: We fly out of here lunchtime tomorrow,we then have the delights of luton overnight. I can't wait to have a decent cup of coffee that's not out of a machine.

So Starbucks and Costa have yet to invade that part of Eastern Europe then.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Snowfire;1485440 wrote: So Starbucks and Costa have yet to invade that part of Eastern Europe then.

Yes. There are lots of McDonald's operating out of tin huts and even their coffee is dire as are their chicken nuggets according to the daughter. They just don't do cafes here at all really. There is an American coffee company in sunny beach that does nice enough cappuccino but nothing special. Nicest coffee was down in deadbeat at an ice cream place.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Lifted off Facebook.......an aaah moment.

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

How is it that I would need to prove that I learned something 5 years ago? I took dyslexia training, got two certificates and called it done. Now my administrator is telling us that we all have to either prove our scores or take the 8 hour course again. Bloody Hell! I have the certificates which show I completed the course. (which seems a no-brainer, you wouldn't award a certificate to someone who did not pass the class would you?), I have the document info tag that shows they were taken in 2011, I even have the password email they sent me in 2011.

Guess what.. It doesn't work anymore. @#@$%&*!!!
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Saint_;1485859 wrote: How is it that I would need to prove that I learned something 5 years ago? I took dyslexia training, got two certificates and called it done. Now my administrator is telling us that we all have to either prove our scores or take the 8 hour course again. Bloody Hell! I have the certificates which show I completed the course. (which seems a no-brainer, you wouldn't award a certificate to someone who did not pass the class would you?), I have the document info tag that shows they were taken in 2011, I even have the password email they sent me in 2011.

Guess what.. It doesn't work anymore. @#@$%&*!!!

The course has changed? there have been more developments that can be implemented now?

Slightly different situation but I have stood with teachers that have said to me 'oh it's ok, I know all about aspergers/autism, I've done a days training' and I have had to restrain myself from giving them a mouthful because it's those teachers that then can't work out what it is they have done to upset my son :rolleyes:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Betty Boop;1485863 wrote: The course has changed? there have been more developments that can be implemented now?

Slightly different situation but I have stood with teachers that have said to me 'oh it's ok, I know all about aspergers/autism, I've done a days training' and I have had to restrain myself from giving them a mouthful because it's those teachers that then can't work out what it is they have done to upset my son :rolleyes:

Oh, it's not that I don't like the training, it was extremely valuable. And it added on to 23 years of additional training. What I can't stand is that I have to prove that I did it...5 years later...and that the certificates aren't enough. (The training is a set of videos which haven't changed a bit.) I also don't like that all the training in dyslexia I've done since then doesn't count towards believing I am qualified in this subject.

That's like saying that if you can't remember the score of a baseball game you played five years ago, you aren't qualified to play baseball anymore even though you've played thousands of games since then.

Return to “General Chit Chat”