FG Trivia

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Honest.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

FG Trivia

Post by LarsMac »

Clumsey.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Undateable.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

FG Trivia

Post by chonsigirl »

Frustrated
Wandrin

FG Trivia

Post by Wandrin »

Resentful
ZAP

FG Trivia

Post by ZAP »

Raving lunatics
Smaug

FG Trivia

Post by Smaug »

Ambidextrous?
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Fickle, irritable and flat-chested.
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

I was deemed wrong when I put 'Become right handed'

But there must have been a lot of research in the subject that I missed because the answer....................don't laugh was.

"A Stutterer"
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Smaug

FG Trivia

Post by Smaug »

Bruv;1483562 wrote: I was deemed wrong when I put 'Become right handed'

But there must have been a lot of research in the subject that I missed because the answer....................don't laugh was.

"A Stutterer"

How do they come to that conclusion? What a load of bravo sierra!!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
Snowfire

FG Trivia

Post by Snowfire »

"A Stutterer"

Preposterous I say !! ..... but entirely predictable for FG Trivia. That kind of arsegravy made taking part a little irritating
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
LarsMac

FG Trivia

Post by LarsMac »

"A Stutterer"

There was some research done some time back (I was in high school at the time, I think) that showed stuttering could be triggered by such forced learning changes. However, there is little current documentation to support such a notion.
- DH Lawrence
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

I thought everyone knew of the link.

Despite robust statistical and clinical evidence, the connection between forced hand switching and stuttering has largely been forgotten. Recent imaging studies of stutterers, however, have suggested that stuttering is tied to disturbed signal transmission between the hemispheres. Similar to the Iowa researchers of the 1930s, current investigators have found connections between stuttering and weak laterality.

Retraining left-handers and the aetiology of stuttering: the rise and fall of an intriguing theory. - PubMed - NCBI
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

Now I am even more confused.

'Weak laterality' for sure.

And what about my eye sight, was my Mum right about that too ?
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Bruv;1483572 wrote: 'Weak laterality' for sure.

And what about my eye sight, was my Mum right about that too ?

It says there's a "robust statistical and clinical evidence ... between forced hand switching and stuttering". As for eyesight, I'm past the point of even recognizing people these days.
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483574 wrote: It says there's a "robust statistical and clinical evidence ... between forced hand switching and stuttering". As for eyesight, I'm past the point of even recognizing people these days.

So my mum was right.
Smaug

FG Trivia

Post by Smaug »

I often use the mouse with my left hand, as well as the right (I've found that some flight sims are better if you can use your left hand for mouse and keys), yet I've never noticed a st st st stutter!
Betty Boop

FG Trivia

Post by Betty Boop »

I'm just ambidextrous, I can type with both hands too ;)
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Dear spot,

The previous monthly tournament for Forumgarden Trivia has ended and a new one starts today!

Go to Forumgarden Trivia - Daily Trivia Game to play now.

The top 5 scores from last month have been recorded in the Hall of Fame at Hall of Fame

Regards,

FunTrivia.com
FourPart

FG Trivia

Post by FourPart »

That's utter nonsense. By that logic every single Left Handed person would be a stutterer. Whether you like it or not they live in a Right Handed World & are constantly being forced to adapt in one way or another. Of course, you can buy certain things nowadays specifically for Left Handed people - such as Tin Openers, for instance - and you can even switch a Mouse to Left Handed control - but how many Left Handed people actually bother to do that?

The Human Mind is amazing at the way it can adapt to a multitude of situations. Handedness is no different.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

I notice that during the last six days, six different players have each had a top score. That's quite pleasing.
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

According to the quiz today.......

"A warlock is someone who breaks an oath. It has NEVER meant 'male witch', except on the TV show 'Bewitched'. Real witches know this, and would never call someone a warlock, unless they intend it as an insult."

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary.......

"A man who has magical powers and practices witchcraft : a sorcerer or wizard"
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Someone with an agenda, presumably.

I've had a lot of bottoms this month.
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

spot;1483976 wrote: I've had a lot of bottoms this month.

There is no answer to that.
Snowfire

FG Trivia

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1483979 wrote: There is no answer to that.

" No,no." I said to myself. " Bite your lip ! "

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

FG Trivia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1483980 wrote: " No,no." I said to myself. " Bite your lip ! "

How did you possibly manage to - I nearly did myself a mischief laughing so much :-)
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

Here's a History question from today.......

The young man was stylishly dressed and dapper; an eye patch was the only evidence of the rough sort of life the young hoodlum lived. How might one succinctly describe him?

A lugubrious lout

A rakish ruffian

A hectic hooligan

A tripedal thug
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

You have to admit it does sound pretty historical. Jeffrey Farnol wrote about rakish Regency ruffians, though tracking down his novels is a task and a half.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Allow me to consult.

I attach two snapshots, one of ALL the available sets of questions in descending order of bigness, and one of the current settings.

I prefer having a bigger range of questions on a day than fewer. In World Trivia 2, for instance, a question can be expected to recur on average once every fifteen years. In our least category, Literature 2, a question can be expected to recur on average once every three years. If we switched a day to "Literature 1: Easier" with 232 questions we could expect a question to recur on average once every five months.

Given this, would we like to completely shift the days around?

If we take the subjects with the most questions, to make recurring less likely, we could have

Music: Difficult

Movies: Difficult

General: Intermediate

Baseball: Difficult

General Knowledge: Difficult

General Knowledge: Very Difficult

Movies: Intermediate

but I can imagine those not pleasing many people. The choices I made years ago still strike me as reasonable but I have no problem with shifting things around.

Secondly, the "all the same questions for everyone" option could be set if you like. I only put it as it is because some players were in the same house with each other when I started so it was a convenience for them.

Perhaps anyone interested in a change could post the SEVEN categories from the list that they would like to switch to.

Attached files
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Bruv;1483973 wrote: According to the quiz today.......

"A warlock is someone who breaks an oath. It has NEVER meant 'male witch', except on the TV show 'Bewitched'. Real witches know this, and would never call someone a warlock, unless they intend it as an insult."

According to Merriam Webster Dictionary.......

"A man who has magical powers and practices witchcraft : a sorcerer or wizard"

The questioner is blatantly wrong in that he uses "NEVER". Of course it was, often.

On the other hand, two obsolete (but original) uses for Warlock, given in the OED, are:

a. An oath-breaker, traitor.

b. A wicked person; a scoundrel, reprobate; a general term of reproach or abuse.
LarsMac

FG Trivia

Post by LarsMac »

Well, if you change it up, we'll just find something else to complain about. I was thinking it would be more interesting to have 15 questions, instead of 10. But then making it a little easier would possibly bring more people into the game.
- DH Lawrence
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

The 10 questions a day is inherent in the site.

I note we've had 115 different accounts play over the years.

Apart from "General:Easier" there are no Easier or Easy categories with as many questions as the ones we use at the moment.

This is a possible set, they're all from the "Easier" group of categories:

Movies 1

Music 1

Science & Technology 1

Geography 1

Religion 1

History 1

Literature 1

Would we like to switch to those for the rest of the month and see how they feel?
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

For information, the only other 7 categories that aren't simple, besides the ones we're currently using, are

People 2 More Difficult

Music 3 Difficult

Movies 3 Difficult

Science & Technology 3 Difficult

General Knowledge 5 Difficult

Celebrities More Difficult

General Knowledge 4 Harder
LarsMac

FG Trivia

Post by LarsMac »

I will go along with whatever. The more people playing regularly, the more fun, I think.

Though if we get to the point where everybody knows all the answers, and the difference become the times to solve, then I will whine, because I am a slow reader.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

I think all having the same questions is fairer.

Some of the questions are not applicable to the headings given, for instance History is normally heavily into Broadway musicals, and many questions have an American bias, obscure TV programs and adverts.

I don't know what the answer is, you can't please everybody all the time, and I am a renowned whinger..................ask my wife.
Snowfire

FG Trivia

Post by Snowfire »

What is difficult, what is easy ? They're all easy if you know the answer. Some of them, unfortunately, are impossible. Unguessable even

The answer to the problem in question, however, is out of the difficult category.

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

FG Trivia

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Let's try Easier for a month.
Betty Boop

FG Trivia

Post by Betty Boop »

AnneBoleyn;1484069 wrote: Let's try Easier for a month.

How about the current hard one for the know it all's and an easy one for the majority left behind :-2
Bryn Mawr

FG Trivia

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Why?

5. The class learned that after death, souls could go to heaven, purgatory, limbo or hell. What example did Sister Mary Mary give as who would go to limbo?

Your Answer: Muslims

The correct answer was Babies.

I can see that babies might go into purgatory for a while preparing their soul for heaven but why would the Church condemn them to an everlasting limbo of non-existence?

(My logic in choosing Muslims was that, not being of the faith they might not be part of the system - the only alternative I can see is that they are sent directly to Hell as unbelievers, a very unforgiving viewpoint).
Snowfire

FG Trivia

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1484676 wrote: Why?

I can see that babies might go into purgatory for a while preparing their soul for heaven but why would the Church condemn them to an everlasting limbo of non-existence?

(My logic in choosing Muslims was that, not being of the faith they might not be part of the system - the only alternative I can see is that they are sent directly to Hell as unbelievers, a very unforgiving viewpoint).

Aren't babies sent to limbo if they havent been baptised ?

Winston Churchill
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

Thats a Caribbean dance innit?
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

I thought it was a nun.

Your medieval doctors of theology didn't mince about with talk of limbo - the unbaptized were spit-roasted for eternity. Sister Mary Mary is a liberal do-gooding revisionist.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Right, heads up chaps, I'm changing the categories to the easy set in preparation for next month, so we can ease into it.

From tomorrow, the categories will be:

Sunday: Religion 1

Monday: History 1

Tuesday: Literature 1

Wednesday: Movies 1

Thursday: Music 1

Friday: Science & Technology 1

Saturday: Geography 1

Good luck, join in, the more the merrier, have fun.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

Ah. That was rather as I feared.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

We appear to be in a time trial since the move. The era of the 35 second 10-point score is upon us. It's speed-reading time.

If everyone interested would like to try it out over the next three days, the new month itself starts on Tuesday. The 1st. I'm just saying.

Anyway, wear your yellow jersey and go-faster stripes.

Only one player so far has dropped below a 10 since I switched the question set.
Bruv

FG Trivia

Post by Bruv »

Is that me ?

It was an error......honestly.
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

I would be very surprised had it been you. I often find myself, as it were and excuse my language, below you.
LarsMac

FG Trivia

Post by LarsMac »

I never mastered speed reading.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

FG Trivia

Post by G#Gill »

Neither did I LarsMac. Also I take part in the Trivia on another site so I would have to log out of that and log into this one otherwise I can't take part here. I really can't be bothered to do that. It's a pity one has to do that. Pity there's no way to avoid having to do that in order to play Trivia in FG.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

FG Trivia

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1485136 wrote: Neither did I LarsMac. Also I take part in the Trivia on another site so I would have to log out of that and log into this one otherwise I can't take part here. I really can't be bothered to do that. It's a pity one has to do that. Pity there's no way to avoid having to do that in order to play Trivia in FG.

What you do is, you log into the trivia for the other site in one browser, like IE or Chrome or SeaMonkey, and you log into trivia for FG on another browser, like Firefox, and each one stays logged in to that particular game and knows nothing about the other one.

Return to “General Chit Chat”