Would The World Be Better Safer Without Islam?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Islam and it's three branches of Sunni, Shia, Druze seem to be the main instigators of strife in the world today, not only amongst themselves, but towards all infidels. So would we have a better, happier and safer world if their was no Islam. I think there is a viable solution
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, the Druze are seldom in on the mix. They generally keep to themselves. Shia and Sunni, spend as much time fighting each other as they do anyone else.

I doubt that getting rid of Islam will be any more successful that getting rid of Christianity in all its gloriously bizarre forms.

And even if you did, some other radical form of some type will grow to fill the void.

The problem is not Islam. the problem is man exploiting man.

Had the western "Civilization" not spent the last few centuries destroying local authority and stealing resources all over the world, life would be far more secure than we can ever hope for it to be in the future.

Religion is just an excuse.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

As a counter question, wouldn't the world be a much more safer place without the western atomic powers ?

I was going to say without America, but widened it so as to include all the ex-colonial richer countries.

What is your 'viable solution' anyway ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Lon

Post by Lon »

What is your 'viable solution' anyway ?

How about systematic elimination of all Mullahs & Ayatollah's since they are the interpretors of Islamic teachings as well as negotiations with the West and do not represent the wishes or even best interests of the people. Leave the Imam's since their main function is leading prayer.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Thought you said 'viable'?

Elimination ? Is that yet another American war euphemism ?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Elimination ? Is that yet another American war euphemism ?

No------I am thinking more like Covert Assassination
gmc

Post by gmc »

Lon;1483032 wrote: What is your 'viable solution' anyway ?

How about systematic elimination of all Imam's & Ayatollah's since they are the interpretors of Islamic teachings as well as negotiations with the West and do not represent the wishes or even best interests of the people. Leave the Imam's since their main function is leading prayer.

The dispiute is very similar to that between catholic and protestant - do you follow the teachings of a priest or find your own way to god. Maybe the problem is religion rather than any particular one equal rights for all and freedom of speech are not something you find many religions espousing when they get in a position of power.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Lon;1483034 wrote: Elimination ? Is that yet another American war euphemism ?

No------I am thinking more like Covert Assassination

So the answer was yes then ?

How covert can you get, their families will know and they might tell others.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Covert assassination of every Muslim on earth? Even the lovely young Muslim girl I met today at my neighborhood store? Really lon, get a grip.
Lon

Post by Lon »

AnneBoleyn;1483040 wrote: Covert assassination of every Muslim on earth? Even the lovely young Muslim girl I met today at my neighborhood store? Really lon, get a grip.

Gee Whiz Anne---I said in my post Mullah's & Ayatollah's, not all Muslims on earth. The leadership. Wouldn't it had been nice if England's attempt at trying to assassinate Hitler was successful?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Lon;1483032 wrote: What is your 'viable solution' anyway ?

How about systematic elimination of all Mullahs & Ayatollah's since they are the interpretors of Islamic teachings as well as negotiations with the West and do not represent the wishes or even best interests of the people. Leave the Imam's since their main function is leading prayer.

That would make the assassins as bad, if not worse, than the culprits. It would also, quite rightly, set the Muslim world ablaze! Hitler was also noted for genocidal tendencies and look how far that got him.

Maybe it would have been better if Britain and America hadn't meddled in Middle Eastern politics and culture, of which it knows very little. All the West has managed to do so far is inflame tensions, cause power-vacuums and economic hardship, which further fosters hatred.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, in my not-so-humble opinion, any "solution" that requires killing off a bunch of people is no solution at all.

About time we outgrew that sort of thing.
- DH Lawrence
Lon

Post by Lon »

LarsMac;1483043 wrote: Well, in my not-so-humble opinion, any "solution" that requires killing off a bunch of people is no solution at all.

Well Lars----------If Stalin,Tojo,Hitler, Mussolini, Goebbels,Himmler,Goering could have been assassinated in 1939 do you think that might have been a solution?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Lon;1483046 wrote: Well Lars----------If Stalin,Tojo,Hitler, Mussolini, Goebbels,Himmler,Goering could have been assassinated in 1939 do you think that might have been a solution?

No, Sir.

Because then the folks who orchestrated such an endeavor would have been the ones we would now be talking about as the evil ones who should have been assassinated.

Killing is not the solution. Ever. Especially when it is done for the good of mankind.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1483043 wrote: Well, in my not-so-humble opinion, any "solution" that requires killing off a bunch of people is no solution at all.

It worked with those Japs didn't it ?

(The term Jap was used for effect)
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Such methodology has yet to prove itself a success in the long term.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Lon;1483041 wrote: Gee Whiz Anne---I said in my post Mullah's & Ayatollah's, not all Muslims on earth. The leadership. Wouldn't it had been nice if England's attempt at trying to assassinate Hitler was successful?

They would be replaced within minutes Lon.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Wasn't there another viable (final) solution instigated sometime during the '40s?
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1483071 wrote: Wasn't there another viable (final) solution instigated sometime during the '40s?

There was indeed, FourPart. I have no time for any of those those "holocaust denial" prats either, having seen many pictures of death-camp carcase heaps consisting of thousands upon thousands of innocent folk killed by those Nazi excrements. The end seldom justifies the means, and blind meddling nearly always produces undesirable and unforseen consequences. AB is quite correct to say they would be replaced in 5 minutes! And able to further inflame the masses they preach to, especially if we've been blundering about bumping off various religious/political leaders!

It's all the "ammunition" required to recruit tens of thousands of Jihaddis to the cause....

I think it was Einstein (correct me if I'm wrong) who stated " For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". This is what we get for going with this "Regime Change" theory propounded by various nations, naming no names! (we are just as guilty here, much to my shame).
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Smaug;1483080 wrote:

I think it was Einstein (correct me if I'm wrong) who stated " For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". This is what we get for going with this "Regime Change" theory propounded by various nations, naming no names! (we are just as guilty here, much to my shame).

Actually, it was Isaac Newton (3rd Law).
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Bruv;1483031 wrote: As a counter question, wouldn't the world be a much more safer place without the western atomic powers ?

Wouldn't matter history is history. There has always been a civilization that preeminent at it's time in history. Empires rise and fall, always have always will. Blaming the West is as simplistic and useless as blaming Ghengis Kahn, or Rome. For that matter, it's as useless as blaming the Cro-Magnons for destroying the Neanderthals.

I, however, do not share your pessimistic, fatalistic, and negative view of the future. If you take history as a whole, mankind has progressed away from war and towards enlightenment at a slow, but steady pace.

Think:

1. Medicine is better than ever.

2. Food production is at an all-time high.

3. Computers have advanced enough to begin solving age-old problems.

4. Globalization has made large-scale war almost extinct. How can you destroy another country when it is your trading partner?

5. People, planetwide, are more connected than ever which leads to more understanding and blending of cultures.

6. The educational level of the planet is at a historical high.

7. For the anti-religious, religion membership is at an all time low. (I actually think a little religion, the tolerant kind, is good for people, but what do I know?)

8. Mankind has decoded our own genome and is on the verge of a genetic exploration era of untold riches.

9. Quantum computers have the potential to unlock all the secrets of the Universe for us.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... -humanity/

"But take a longer view and there is a surprising amount that we can say with considerable assurance. As so often, the past holds the key to the future: we have now identified enough of the long-term patterns shaping the history of the planet, and our species, to make evidence-based forecasts about the situations in which our descendants will find themselves."

Also: "Why the Future is Brighter Than You Think."

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... innovation

"First: The key to innovation is the exploitation of really big inventions. Computerization is as big as it gets, and it has a much longer tail than electrification. We're not even close to mining its full potential yet. Second: Above a certain level, the goal of productivity gains is to provide us with more fun. It doesn't matter whether that fun comes in physical or virtual form, or how it shows up in national accounts. Third: Don't exaggerate past innovations just because they were exciting or dramatic, and don't discount current innovations just because they've happened behind the scenes or seem sort of prosaic. Hip replacements may not be as big a mobility improvement as the automobile, but they're a bigger deal than you think—as you'll realize someday if you have to get one because you can't walk more than a hundred feet at a stretch with your original equipment."

The future's so bright...I gotta wear shades.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Saint_;1483138 wrote: I, however, do not share your pessimistic, fatalistic, and negative view of the future. If you take history as a whole, mankind has progressed away from war and towards enlightenment at a slow, but steady pace.

I don't think I am pessimistic, realist would be my word.

Can't see how man has progressed 'away' from war either.

Lots of progress has been 'because' of war, rather than 'despite' war.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1483142 wrote: I don't think I am pessimistic, realist would be my word.

Can't see how man has progressed 'away' from war either.

Lots of progress has been 'because' of war, rather than 'despite' war.

I would agree. More technologically advanced but not advancing very much away from the uncivilised savages we seem to have been for millennia. We can find many more ways and excuses for killing each other but a little slower in keeping us safer from deseases, unless of course, there's a profit in it.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Channel 4 Documentary tonight

Dispatches investigates well-funded global networks that are supporting a wave of anti-gay laws around the world, including the World Congress of Families in the USA.

Judging by the bunch of ignorant, bigoted Christian evangelists trotting their wares around the world and the subsequent suffering of the gay community around the world, I'd say we're going backwards. Let's get that message of hate out there.

Where do people find such hatred ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Reggie Yates "Extreme Russia" was very frightening last night
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Snowfire;1483152 wrote: I would agree. More technologically advanced but not advancing very much away from the uncivilised savages we seem to have been for millennia. We can find many more ways and excuses for killing each other but a little slower in keeping us safer from deseases, unless of course, there's a profit in it.

Yep, we're pretty smart at making things that go 'whoosh-bang', but not so good at the humanities, are we? Various types of technology develop at light-speed in times of war, but relatively slowly in times of peace. Jet propulsion, rocketry, and plastic surgery are good examples.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1483120 wrote: Actually, it was Isaac Newton (3rd Law).

Cheers, FourPart. Knew the quote but not the source!
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Saint_;1483138 wrote: Wouldn't matter history is history. There has always been a civilization that preeminent at it's time in history. Empires rise and fall, always have always will. Blaming the West is as simplistic and useless as blaming Ghengis Kahn, or Rome. For that matter, it's as useless as blaming the Cro-Magnons for destroying the Neanderthals.

I, however, do not share your pessimistic, fatalistic, and negative view of the future. If you take history as a whole, mankind has progressed away from war and towards enlightenment at a slow, but steady pace.

Think:

1. Medicine is better than ever.

2. Food production is at an all-time high.

3. Computers have advanced enough to begin solving age-old problems.

4. Globalization has made large-scale war almost extinct. How can you destroy another country when it is your trading partner?

5. People, planetwide, are more connected than ever which leads to more understanding and blending of cultures.

6. The educational level of the planet is at a historical high.

7. For the anti-religious, religion membership is at an all time low. (I actually think a little religion, the tolerant kind, is good for people, but what do I know?)

8. Mankind has decoded our own genome and is on the verge of a genetic exploration era of untold riches.

9. Quantum computers have the potential to unlock all the secrets of the Universe for us.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... -humanity/

"But take a longer view and there is a surprising amount that we can say with considerable assurance. As so often, the past holds the key to the future: we have now identified enough of the long-term patterns shaping the history of the planet, and our species, to make evidence-based forecasts about the situations in which our descendants will find themselves."

Also: "Why the Future is Brighter Than You Think."

Why the Future Is Brighter Than You Think | Mother Jones

"First: The key to innovation is the exploitation of really big inventions. Computerization is as big as it gets, and it has a much longer tail than electrification. We're not even close to mining its full potential yet. Second: Above a certain level, the goal of productivity gains is to provide us with more fun. It doesn't matter whether that fun comes in physical or virtual form, or how it shows up in national accounts. Third: Don't exaggerate past innovations just because they were exciting or dramatic, and don't discount current innovations just because they've happened behind the scenes or seem sort of prosaic. Hip replacements may not be as big a mobility improvement as the automobile, but they're a bigger deal than you think—as you'll realize someday if you have to get one because you can't walk more than a hundred feet at a stretch with your original equipment."

Think also - pretty much every one of those points is a direct result of war. War has always been the Necessity that brings about the Mother of Invention. Radar, Computers, Rocket / Jet Engines, Medical Advances, Superglue (invented to stick wounds together) - even the Slinky (used as an antenna in either Korean or Vietnam war - can't remember which).
gmc

Post by gmc »

Snowfire;1483166 wrote: Channel 4 Documentary tonight

Dispatches investigates well-funded global networks that are supporting a wave of anti-gay laws around the world, including the World Congress of Families in the USA.

Judging by the bunch of ignorant, bigoted Christian evangelists trotting their wares around the world and the subsequent suffering of the gay community around the world, I'd say we're going backwards. Let's get that message of hate out there.

Where do people find such hatred ?

Have you not read the bible? You can find an excuse for any atrocity or prejudice and justify it as god's will.

The recent iraq invasion seems to have been due as much to religious fervour on the part of bush and blair yet we all let them away with it what does that make us?

God will judge me, PM tells Parkinson | Politics | The Guardian

Unlike George Bush, who said God told him to launch the Iraq campaign, Mr Blair has taken care to keep his faith away from political discourse. He once bridled visibly when asked by Jeremy Paxman if he and Mr Bush prayed together. But he confirmed the thesis put forward by more than one biographer that it was his rediscovery of religion while at Oxford University which led him into politics.

At least a naked we want to control the oil would have the virtrue of being honest the moral bankrupt have always taken comfort in religion. Now we have him telling the labour party to fiorget principles in order to win elections and people actually listen to him..
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Just what is the deal of putting square brackets around certain phrases, such as:

Questioned further, he added: "If you believe in God, is made by God as well."

Is it some sort of disclaimer that these aren't really the words that were quoted, but what the author wants it to mean or something. If so, not surprisingly, it seems there is a lot of it that goes on when someone is writing text regarding Religion.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The world without extremists of any faith would be a much safer place.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

The World Be Better & Safer Without Christianity.

Yes. It's true. The invasions of Pakistan, Irak, Iran, Afghanistan, Haiti, Somalia, Panama, Grenada, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. were all perpetrated by Christians; Bush, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy Clinton, Obama, Reagan.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

High Threshold;1484270 wrote: The World Be Better & Safer Without Christianity.

Yes. It's true. The invasions of Pakistan, Irak, Iran, Afghanistan, Haiti, Somalia, Panama, Grenada, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Dominican Republic, Cuba, etc. were all perpetrated by Christians; Bush, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy Clinton, Obama, Reagan.

Hey. Grenada was asking for it...
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Saint_;1484271 wrote: Hey. Grenada was asking for it...

:wah: :wah: :wah:

You're a funny guy.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Some so called Christians even shoot abortion doctors. There are some 22000 varieties of Christian groups around the world and many think they have the sole truth about God. Just listen to them for awhile. Not all Christians think alike. Though I am totally in favor of self defence and trying to free the oppressed ad downtrodden and the marginalized. The idea of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer is an age old problem 10000 +years. What have we learned in the past 10000 years? Nothing.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ted;1484292 wrote: ....... The idea of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer is an age old problem 10000 +years. What have we learned in the past 10000 years? ........
New ways of accomplishing it.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

:yh_clap :yh_smiley
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Ted

Post by Ted »

Or without any faith???
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ted;1484573 wrote: Or without any faith???
Hmmmm. An interesting thought.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484593 wrote: Hmmmm. An interesting thought.

By the same token, I know some devout Christians AND Muslims whose faith enriches their lives, and gives their lives meaning, depth and peace. I am a tolerant person as regards religious beliefs, and say "Each to their own" ( I'm a Pagan). Tolerance and respect for one-another's beliefs is the way forward, methinks. I think the world would be a poorer place without our diverse beliefs.

Viva La Difference!:-6
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Smaug;1484600 wrote: By the same token, I know some devout Christians AND Muslims whose faith enriches their lives, and gives their lives meaning, depth and peace. I am a tolerant person as regards religious beliefs, and say "Each to their own" ( I'm a Pagan). Tolerance and respect for one-another's beliefs is the way forward, methinks. I think the world would be a poorer place without our diverse beliefs.

Viva La Difference!:-6

It's the misuse of religious conviction that is the issue, and how that conviction can be (and is) suggested and/or enforced upon others. Sky-diving might “enrich my life” but prodding you out of an aeroplane against your will might not enrich yours all very much.

Ted

Post by Ted »

I do agree it is the misuse of religious faith that leads to extremism.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

High Threshold;1484606 wrote: It's the misuse of religious conviction that is the issue, and how that conviction can be (and is) suggested and/or enforced upon others. Sky-diving might “enrich my life” but prodding you out of an aeroplane against your will might not enrich yours all very much.

I totally agree, HT. There are many rabble-rousing extremists, and politicians, each and every one of them an ego-tripping megalomaniac looking for an excuse to cause trouble to further their own agenda. Such a pity for the ordinary, moderate, law-abiding folk, regardless of their religion or country of origin. The people who lead us often make the problem worse by blundering around rattling sabres on any pretext,

without a thought in their heads about possible ramifications and repercussions.

Take 'regime change', for example. An innocuous sounding euphemism for invasion and total upheaval, followed by a dangerous power-vacuum, as seen in Iraq and Libya.

Bush and Blair really managed to de-stabilise the Middle East with their ill-conceived antics, the chain-reaction to this will doubtless run and run, leading to who-knows-what end. The whole invasion of Iraq was a pretext; Weapons of mass-destruction deployable against the UK in 45 minutes. That's what Blair (Bliar, as I prefer to call him) told us here. Funny how Mr.Blix (U.N. weapons inspector) and his team couldn't find anything worth shouting about, wasn't it?

As I said in a much earlier post on another thread, dictators are bad, but the alternatives, especially in an unstable region, are often worse!
Ted

Post by Ted »

I am concerned about the terrorist murders going on in Iraq under the Taliban. Do we sit by and watch innocent people being tortured and subjected to horrible deaths? What is out duty. If we were in the same position what would you want.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Ted;1484824 wrote: I am concerned about the terrorist murders going on in Iraq under the Taliban. Do we sit by and watch innocent people being tortured and subjected to horrible deaths? What is out duty. If we were in the same position what would you want.

The Taliban are active in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Their 'sphere of influence' doesn't extend to Iraq, to the best of my knowledge. They are also enemies of ISIS.

I feel our duty is to resist terrorism by all possible, humane means. To be successful,we need to convince Muslims WORLD-WIDE that to commit these atrocities is to do the will of Shaitan (The Devil) and brings eternal damnation. Then ISIS will start to lose it's allure, especially to the young and impressionable.

Then we stand a chance of depriving ISIS of it's life-blood;-recruits AND money.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Ted;1484824 wrote: I am concerned about the terrorist murders going on in Iraq under the Taliban. Do we sit by and watch innocent people being tortured and subjected to horrible deaths? What is out duty. If we were in the same position what would you want.
Excuse me please, but you “sat by and watched innocent people being tortured and subjected to horrible deaths” while the Americans were doing it. So what is this “duty” you speak of? Don't encourage me to tell you “what I would want if I were in the same position”. You won't like my response, I promise you.

Ted

Post by Ted »

I may have goofed on location. As a Christian and a compassionate person it is my duty to be the Good Samaritan. Generally I am opposed to capital punishment philosophically. However I believe that terrorists who kill innocent folks and invade countries and murder and torture should be shot on the spot. We live with paradoxes all the time.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

@ High Threshold.

It is not what you say..............it is the way you keep on and on saying it.

Constantly reminding a one legged man of his deficiencies, might be factually correct,but it will not help in any way.

And Ted lives in Canada so is probably Canadian.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

High Threshold;1485106 wrote: I don't think that I understand. I was talking about a double standard - dressed up in a suit of one-sided indignance. Did I over-state it or did I strike below the belt?

Yes
- DH Lawrence
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yes I was born in Canada so I guess that makes me Canadian.

Return to “General Chit Chat”