CBT For Scooters

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

No, I don't mean the Jubbly type scooters here, but Mobility Scooters.

As things stand there is absolutely no restriction on who can use a Mobility Scooter, with very little legislation on their usage.

Mobility scooter training call aims to cut accidents - BBC News

Even the lower powered category Scooters cruise along quite happily at a respectable jogging pace, while the higher category ones move at a speed where a fit athlete might have difficulty in keeping up with for any sustained period.

Mainly due to the size of the batteries they weigh a ton, which means that they have a great deal of inertia if they happen to collide with something - even at slow speeds, and by their very nature the point of contact is very low, which is an additional danger (much like the outlawed Bull Bars on cars).

The level of serious accidents caused by these scooters - or more to the point, by their incompetent users has apparently increased by over 70% over the past 5 years, including a number of fatalities.

I've just completed my CBT for Motorbikes. By law I would only have been required to take it on the moped that I was used to, but I opted to go for the training on the 125cc that I would actually be riding, as I find the idea of being allowed on the road without that training, quite frankly, scary. I believe the same applies to Mobility Scooters. Furthermore, I believe that, just as with electric cars now, they should be fitted with a noise maker, as they can approach so quietly that you don't even realise they're there.

Some are vehemently opposed to the idea, considering it to be a breach of their personal liberty. Others, such as myself, are fully in favour of it. It needn't be much - just a few hours on a training track with a few cones to manoeuvre around, simple things like checking blind spots behind you & maybe how to do an emergency stop. All these are so obvious that you might think, 'why bother', but just look at the number of Scooter users that don't bother with such things.

There are also others who would advocate a licence & a test as well. I'm not so sure about that, but I don't think it would do any harm. I am also in favour of compulsory insurance as well, just as I am with pushbikes because as things are they can cause major personal injury, or leave a massive dent in you Ferrari, and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. It would all have to come out of your own pocket, and if you claimed on your own insurance, there would go your No Claims Bonus.
chonsigirl

CBT For Scooters

Post by chonsigirl »

Would the license be required only for scooters taken outside of their dwelling?

Here there are some more of these devices around, but not many hit the streets here. It is dangerous enough just to drive, and there are more skateboarders that are a nuisance than other forms of mobility.
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

chonsigirl;1482392 wrote: Would the license be required only for scooters taken outside of their dwelling?

Here there are some more of these devices around, but not many hit the streets here. It is dangerous enough just to drive, and there are more skateboarders that are a nuisance than other forms of mobility.
Obviously when use on private land the requirement for a licence would not apply, just the same as the need for a licence isn't required for any other motor vehicle when used on private land.

As for skateboarders. Yes, they can be a nuisance, but the inertia & weight of a skateboard is not exactly sufficient to crush the life out of someone.
chonsigirl

CBT For Scooters

Post by chonsigirl »

For home use only not having a license sounds sensible, especially if the person using it is probably not able to pass a driving/cruising test. (I know my husband would flunk one if he had to have a scooter, he flunks back seat driving tests with me as is:-3 )

Skateboarders here would not crush you, but cause multiple vehicular accidents. I think it is the layout here for not enough sidewalks, uneven roads, etc. It must be this area with the problem.
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

Much of the problem with Mobility Scooters is that the users are often totally oblivious to the hazards they are creating. They frequently pull out without checking behind them. Tear around blind corners without slowing down to check what obstacles might be around them. Showing total disregard for other pedestrians, often believing themselves to have full priority because of being disabled, when in actual fact, the old "Sail Before Steam" rule applies. There is also a frequent inability of being able to control it properly around obstacles, cutting corners & running into things as a result. Going too fast & not being able to regulate the speed between full speed & dead stop.

All of these are basic essentials to road users where there are far fewer vulnerable targets than there are on the pavement, and no driver would be allowed on the road without a qualified driver with them until they pass their test, and even motorbike riders have to take a Compulsory Basic Training course. Personally I also believe that similar rules should apply to pushbikes, such as a Compulsory Cycling Proficiency course, but that's entirely another matter. Mobility Scooters are quite high powered vehicles & capable of serious injury, as the accident statistics demonstrate. Also, bear in mind that even the lower category Scooter is capable of higher speeds than the early cars - and they had to have someone walking in front with a red flag.
Bruv

CBT For Scooters

Post by Bruv »

I think I agree with you about the need for training of some kind.

They can be very intimidating when they come at you full speed, sometimes on the pavement sometimes off.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Smaug

CBT For Scooters

Post by Smaug »

FourPart;1482393 wrote: Obviously when use on private land the requirement for a licence would not apply, just the same as the need for a licence isn't required for any other motor vehicle when used on private land.

As for skateboarders. Yes, they can be a nuisance, but the inertia & weight of a skateboard is not exactly sufficient to crush the life out of someone.

That may not be strictly true. A 12 stone skate-boarder travelling at 20 mph will have a fair amount of inertia-probably similar to my Mum at 5 mph on her scooter! I do agree in some kind of competency training, though. If you're going to use it in a fairly crowded environment, such as the local supermarket, you need to be aware of the pedestrians, how to handle your scooter safely and accurately, your blind spots and be alert to sudden/unexpected movements or events. Sounds dramatic, but these buggies can do a lot of damage, given the wrong circumstances. Much like driving any other vehicle, really. Insurance is a good idea, also.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
gmc

CBT For Scooters

Post by gmc »

This is a great idea. I live near a big what now would be called a shopping mall, tghere are dozens of them and these things are lethal it doesn't seem to occur to some of them that you might not hear an electric scooter coming up behind you nor does sounding a horn or something to let you know they are there they seem to assume you somehow should be aware of them and they are also usually moving faster than most people are walking. These things are dangerous they could potentially break someone's ankle or cripple a child if they get hit by one. The sight of two of them racing for the dooorway - and one occasion I saw two of them get stuck in the doorway - might have an element of hilarity about it but not if you get in their way it doesn't. OAP's and cripples should not be racing mobility scooters in a shopping mall.

I'd take them off some people and a skateboarder while lethal is also quite likely to injure himself as well.
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

This item was updated in 2014 & reported incidents have grown 70% since then.

BBC News - A mobility scooter menace?

This is an article from The Herald - a local Plymouth paper, listing just some of the recorded incidents in the Plymouth area alone.

Plymouth MP calls for compulsory training for mobility scooters as accident figures are revealed | Plymouth Herald
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

I've just seen this on FaceBook - imagine doing something like this for Mobility Scooters.

http://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo ... efg=eyJybH IiOjc4MywicmxhIjo3NzN9&rl=783&vabr=435&oh=4b83933f9edb1910c578cb62a57ad1f0&oe=55A03AAB
Smaug

CBT For Scooters

Post by Smaug »

Or this! Should be on "Wicky Wacky".:wah:

Bet it would clear the aisles at Tesco!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

I sent my Councillor an eMail earlier suggesting that the Council might consider introducing some kind of training scheme by liaising with the local Community Police, and I received a reply from him a few minutes ago (23:56). He seems very keen on the idea & is going to have a word with them about it. The initial question is, of course, that of cost, but I don't really see that as being an issue if we can get the Community Police to get involved, or volunteers from local Disability Groups.
Smaug

CBT For Scooters

Post by Smaug »

I think that if scooter riders got a little basic training, life would be a bit safer for all concerned. And if the training is free, whats not to like? Good idea emailing your local councillor drum up some interest there!
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

Well, the M.P. (Royston Smith) is a dead loss. He's not even acknowledged my 2 other non-related letters. Mind you, he's got his hands full at the moment with the Police investigating his Election Misconduct / Fraud / Data Protection Act Breach.
Smaug

CBT For Scooters

Post by Smaug »

I thought that was "de rigeur" for politicians?:wah:
FourPart

CBT For Scooters

Post by FourPart »

Royston Smith is an all round nasty piece of work.
Smaug

CBT For Scooters

Post by Smaug »

He flamin' well sounds like it! Mind you, most of them are useless, festering abominations, with self-serving ambitions and provost minds.

Return to “General Chit Chat”