Automatic stirring

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

I threw a meal on a couple of hours ago and it's about ready to eat. What makes it easy is the automatic stirring pot I cooked it in.

Jamie Oliver HomeCooker HR1040/90 | Philips

The price on there is nonsense and it's meant to come with a tower shredder but you get the idea.

It counts down the time and beeps and turns off, it stops anything from sticking, you can fling bits in easily at the right time. Today's is a chicken casserole sort of affair. Parsnips, celery, carrots, onion, thyme, a pint of passata and a small glass of Pinot Grigio a half hour before serving - one for the pot and one for me, in the style of Graham Kerr. The liberal application of wine, that is, not the recipe.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Automatic stirring

Post by Bruv »

"Threw on a meal"?

Get behind me Satan
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

A half century of practice and experiment went into that meal. Though admittedly what I was cooking fifty years ago was very different to what I did today. Today's lacked my original notion of essential ingredients - a stirred-in egg, Worcestershire sauce and a spoonful of salad cream, for example.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Automatic stirring

Post by Bruv »

spot;1480722 wrote: A half century of practice and experiment went into that meal. Though admittedly what I was cooking fifty years ago was very different to what I did today. Today's lacked my original notion of essential ingredients - a stirred-in egg, Worcestershire sauce and a spoonful of salad cream, for example.

I know when you are trying to wind me up now........... a stirred-in egg, Worcestershire sauce and a spoonful of salad cream............yea right.
LarsMac

Automatic stirring

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1480716 wrote: I threw a meal on a couple of hours ago and it's about ready to eat. What makes it easy is the automatic stirring pot I cooked it in.

Jamie Oliver HomeCooker HR1040/90 | Philips

The price on there is nonsense and it's meant to come with a tower shredder but you get the idea.

It counts down the time and beeps and turns off, it stops anything from sticking, you can fling bits in easily at the right time. Today's is a chicken casserole sort of affair. Parsnips, celery, carrots, onion, thyme, a pint of passata and a small glass of Pinot Grigio a half hour before serving - one for the pot and one for me, in the style of Graham Kerr. The liberal application of wine, that is, not the recipe.

When I see that price tag, I can't help but think of all the meals the wife and I could eat at the local diner for that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1480749 wrote: When I see that price tag, I can't help but think of all the meals the wife and I could eat at the local diner for that.

I bought it new for under £100 from John Lewis, I've no idea why Philips have it listed so high.
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

Bruv;1480748 wrote: I know when you are trying to wind me up now........... a stirred-in egg, Worcestershire sauce and a spoonful of salad cream............yea right.

I was 22, I'd just bought my own place on a 95% mortgage and I kept a one-week curry on the hob which I heated up every evening after work, and every Sunday I'd clean out the pot and make another. It had none of those ingredients though. They went in the snack.

The snack was two slices of toast. On that went sludge. Making sludge - I still do it on occasion - involves flash-frying a tin of beans in a pre-heated pre-buttered frying pan, shaking Worcestershire sauce over it until it goes brown, stirring in a half spoon of paprika and a sprinkle of mixed herbs and one large egg until it goes stringy, and serving with an unhealthily large spoonful of salad cream drizzled on. In terms of texture, taste and sheer wow factor I've found nothing that comes close, and I can have it on the table it within five minutes of lighting the gas.
Bruv

Automatic stirring

Post by Bruv »

I have just regurgitated a nasty bitter taste, I think it was the spoonful of salad cream that did it.

Your stomach is in need of the same degree of education you lavished on your brain
Betty Boop

Automatic stirring

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1480752 wrote: I was 22, I'd just bought my own place on a 95% mortgage and I kept a one-week curry on the hob which I heated up every evening after work, and every Sunday I'd clean out the pot and make another. It had none of those ingredients though. They went in the snack.

The snack was two slices of toast. On that went sludge. Making sludge - I still do it on occasion - involves flash-frying a tin of beans in a pre-heated pre-buttered frying pan, shaking Worcestershire sauce over it until it goes brown, stirring in a half spoon of paprika and a sprinkle of mixed herbs and one large egg until it goes stringy, and serving with an unhealthily large spoonful of salad cream drizzled on. In terms of texture, taste and sheer wow factor I've found nothing that comes close, and I can have it on the table it within five minutes of lighting the gas.

That's got to be the wrong kind of wow factor!

I reckon that should be a trial dish on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here! :wah:
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

Not everyone has designed a gastronomic legend from scratch.
Bruv

Automatic stirring

Post by Bruv »

spot;1480761 wrote: Not everyone has designed a gastronomic legend from scratch.

Hence the old adage, "A legend in your own lunch break"?
Betty Boop

Automatic stirring

Post by Betty Boop »

Bad taste aside, that stirring pot sounds like a good idea for elderly people who pop things on the stove and then completely forget about it!
Bruv

Automatic stirring

Post by Bruv »

Betty Boop;1480766 wrote: Bad taste aside, that stirring pot sounds like a good idea for elderly people who pop things on the stove and then completely forget about it!

Thats a slow cooker.
LarsMac

Automatic stirring

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1480752 wrote: I was 22, I'd just bought my own place on a 95% mortgage and I kept a one-week curry on the hob which I heated up every evening after work, and every Sunday I'd clean out the pot and make another. It had none of those ingredients though. They went in the snack.

We had SPAM. slice off a slab, drop in in a hot pan, sear and flip, and onto a slice of bread. A little Mustard, and voila'! Breakfast. Or lunch, or dinner.

College kids these days live off Ramen Noodles. I'd starve to death.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Automatic stirring

Post by FourPart »

When I saw the name of the thread I thought it was about the episode of Red Dwarf, where Lister was put on everlasting hold while trying to order an electric teaspoon.
YZGI

Automatic stirring

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1480769 wrote: We had SPAM. slice off a slab, drop in in a hot pan, sear and flip, and onto a slice of bread. A little Mustard, and voila'! Breakfast. Or lunch, or dinner.

College kids these days live off Ramen Noodles. I'd starve to death.

A slice of onion and a couple layers of spinach and you have a gourmet sandwich.
spot

Automatic stirring

Post by spot »

I should post this evening's recipe.

I pushed half a fresh broccoli (200g), two ounces of Iceland's extra mature cheddar (50g) and an oxo cube through the shredder part of the stirring pot, added a half pint of boiling water from the kettle and left it simmering for an hour. I then put it in a very large mug and whipped it adequately with this Kenwood Tri Blade Hand Blender HDP300WH and warmed it back up for a minute in the microwave.

The resulting 280 calorie broccoli and cheese soup, sprinkled with salt, has the consistency of wallpaper paste and an extremely rich flavour. I've added it to my recipe list but I might tear some coriander in next time.

Return to “The Kitchen”