How I recognized President's Day A QUIZ

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I recognized President's Day by spending one Grant--one Jackson--one Lincoln--one Washington--one Jefferson--one Hamilton

HOW MUCH DID I SPEND?????
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

too much.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

OF course, I must be the pedantic arse and point out that the Hamilton shouldn't Count for such a celebration.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Lon;1474142 wrote: I recognized President's Day by spending one Grant--one Jackson--one Lincoln--one Washington--one Jefferson--one Hamilton

I've no idea, but I'm guessing at $186 (1 + 5 + 10 + 20 + 50 + 100) ?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1474150 wrote: I've no idea, but I'm guessing at $186 (1 + 5 + 10 + 20 + 50 + 100) ?

Close, but no Banana.

He would need a Franklin for that, instead of a Jefferson.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Lon;1474142 wrote: I recognized President's Day by spending one Grant--one Jackson--one Lincoln--one Washington--one Jefferson--one Hamilton

It was under $100.00 so no need to yell about it--LOL
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

HOW MUCH DID I SPEND?????I count $88, and that's from memory, I didn't look it up.

Normally one would OBSERVE or CELEBRATE a holiday. You could RECOGNIZE that the holiday existed without CELEBRATING it. Pedantry? Perhaps.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Mark Aspam;1474186 wrote: I count $88, and that's from memory, I didn't look it up.

I don't see how it could be anything less than $186 with 6 different value notes, unless the numeric values of the notes differ from the rest of the world (or most of it). Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a $25 bill.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

FourPart;1474187 wrote: I don't see how it could be anything less than $186 with 6 different value notes, unless the numeric values of the notes differ from the rest of the world (or most of it). Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if they have a $25 bill.
Grant=50, Jackson=20, Lincoln=5, Washington=1, Jefferson=2, Hamilton=10. Total=88.

Franklin is on the 100. Higher denominations are not available to the public.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

You have a $2 bill? We don't even have a £1 note any more. The smallest denomination being £5.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Mark Aspam;1474190 wrote: Grant=50, Jackson=20, Lincoln=5, Washington=1, Jefferson=2, Hamilton=10. Total=88.

Franklin is on the 100. Higher denominations are not available to the public.

Very Good Mark---Now if you will email me the routing number and account number for your checking account I will see that you receive a proper reward, or your credit card information will suffice. :wah:
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Lon;1474210 wrote: Very Good Mark---Now if you will email me the routing number and account number for your checking account I will see that you receive a proper reward, or your credit card information will suffice. :wah:Tell you what - just send a Grant in my name to your favorite charity and we'll call it even.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Did I ever tell you that I'm actually the Widow of a Wealthy Nigerian Diplomat? If you give me your bank details I'd like to deposit $5,000,000 of those Presidents to keep it safe from the corrupt Nigerian Government, who are seeking to steal it from me.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

How do blind people differentiate between bank notes in th US ?

All your *cough* Bills are the same size and very similar colour............ours are recognisable by size and colour.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Bruv;1474233 wrote: 1. How do blind people differentiate between bank notes in the US ?

2. Ours are recognisable by size and colour.1. Well, one way would be, for small purchases, to carry only ones. More expensive purchases might be made with sighted friends assisting - or by credit or debit cards. Coins given in change would be recognized by size and feel.

2. How do blind people recognize the color? Or that the bills are genuine?

Added later: Is 'recogniSable' (with an S instead of a Z) standard Brit English, or just a slip of the old typing finger?
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

FourPart;1474197 wrote: You have a $2 bill? We don't even have a £1 note any more. The smallest denomination being £5.Two-dollar bills have been around for a long time but never very popular except at racetracks, two bucks being the minimum horse race bet.

There is also a US dollar coin, also not very popular. Personally, I like them as they are very convenient to carry in the pocket with smaller coins rather than having to get out one's billfold.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

We go up to a £2 coin, although there are larger denomination "Collector's Edition" ones available which, although technically legal tender are never likely to be found at the supermarket checkouts.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I found this on YouTube which I found strangely fascinating:

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mark Aspam;1474237 wrote: 1. Well, one way would be, for small purchases, to carry only ones. More expensive purchases might be made with sighted friends assisting - or by credit or debit cards. Coins given in change would be recognized by size and feel.

2. How do blind people recognize the color? Or that the bills are genuine?

Added later: Is 'recogniSable' (with an S instead of a Z) standard Brit English, or just a slip of the old typing finger?

So how does the blind person get a weeks shopping ? Carry single dollar bills in a large bag ?

Partially sighted people could recognise the different denominations by colour alone.

Totally blind can and do recognise UK folding money by size.

Sighted people have trouble recognising genuine money, I suspect a long term blind person would be as able to differentiate fakes by the feel of the paper, as well as a sighted person could with their eyes.

RecogniSable is English, recognizable is not english.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1474323 wrote: RecogniSable is English, recognizable is not english.
Which is why you can download an English Dictionary as your Spell Check & an American one - Because Americans can't spell. I suspect the reason for which is that the original colonists were not exactly of the literate classes & it went on from there.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

FourPart;1474327 wrote: Which is why you can download an English Dictionary as your Spell Check & an American one - Because Americans can't spell. I suspect the reason for which is that the original colonists were not exactly of the literate classes & it went on from there.

:wah::yh_rotfl

We should probably spell check the Declaration of Independence, just in case.:sneaky:
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Bruv;1474323 wrote: RecogniSable is English, recognizable is not english.Well, I have here before me the Random House Dictionary of the ENGLISH [my emphasis] Language, Unabridged Edition, open to page 1199, where I find these listings in alphabetical order:

rec-og-nise Chiefly Brit. recognize. (That is the entire listing.)

rec-og-nize followed by 29 column lines of information.

rec-og-ni-zee

rec-og-ni-zor

So I would say that the two forms are varieties of English. I won't even get into all of the useless "u"'s (colour, flavour, etc.) in Britlish.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mark Aspam;1474421 wrote: Well, I have here before me the Random House Dictionary of the ENGLISH [my emphasis] Language, Unabridged Edition, open to page 1199, where I find these listings in alphabetical order:

rec-og-nise Chiefly Brit. recognize. (That is the entire listing.)

rec-og-nize followed by 29 column lines of information.

rec-og-ni-zee

rec-og-ni-zor

So I would say that the two forms are varieties of English. I won't even get into all of the useless "u"'s (colour, flavour, etc.) in Britlish.

There is only one English, the language spoken by the residents of England.

All the other variations should have a prefix such as American English..........American English is a simplified version of the real English Language.

I personally and jocularly see the Americanisation of English as cultural empirialism and refuse to comply, you cannot even call the letters by the correct name it is zed not zee.

And these days because the web is dominated by the US.............. looking for real English spellings is like spitting in the wind.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

Bruv;1474444 wrote: There is only one English, the language spoken by the residents of England.

All the other variations should have a prefix such as American English..........American English is a simplified version of the real English Language.

I personally and jocularly see the Americanisation of English as cultural empirialism and refuse to comply, you cannot even call the letters by the correct name it is zed not zee.

And these days because the web is dominated by the US.............. looking for real English spellings is like spitting in the wind.Well, I'm glad that you admitted the jocularity of it all, I'd hate to think that anyone was taking this exchange seriously!

Seriously, though, the zee in recognizee does not refer to the last letter of the alphabet, but to one who is recognized. So I'm guessing that in Britlish the word, if it exists there at all, would be recognisee.

I've always assumed that the pronunciation of the letter Z as zed is to prevent confusion in speech between C and Z.

But as my highschool baseball coach used to say: "Don't ASSUME anything, or you might make an ASS out of U and ME.

I haven't the least idea what he meant, but that's what he used to say.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mark Aspam;1474446 wrote: Well, I'm glad that you admitted the jocularity of it all, I'd hate to think that anyone was taking this exchange seriously!

Seriously, though, the zee in recognizee does not refer to the last letter of the alphabet, but to one who is recognized. So I'm guessing that in Britlish the word, if it exists there at all, would be recognisee.

I've always assumed that the pronunciation of the letter Z as zed is to prevent confusion in speech between C and Z.

But as my highschool baseball coach used to say: "Don't ASSUME anything, or you might make an ASS out of U and ME.

I haven't the least idea what he meant, but that's what he used to say.

To me it is serious, I know you Americans take things personally......so I lightened the tone a bit.

Zed is our way of saying Z, you choose to make it Zee..............nobody knows why it needs complicating.

Baseball, that is Rounders with protection isn't it ?

Oh Lord it gets worse............the recognizeeeeeee.

What is the problem with the recognised........simple ? And real English.

While I am on the subject of complicating things, your measurements are different to the rest of the world......whats that all about ?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474448 wrote: To me it is serious, I know you Americans take things personally......so I lightened the tone a bit.

Zed is our way of saying Z, you choose to make it Zee..............nobody knows why it needs complicating.

While I am on the subject of complicating things, your measurements are different to the rest of the world......whats that all about ?

I'm with you on that, 15 centimeters sounds a lot bigger than 6 inches..
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1474448 wrote: To me it is serious, I know you Americans take things personally......so I lightened the tone a bit.

You have a lot of room to talk. You used meters and centimeters, instead of yards and feet and inches, but then use miles, instead of kilometers like the rest of the folks on your side of the pond.

What's up with THAT?
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Besides, it was Noah Webster who standardized the English language over here.

Take it up with him.
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1474449 wrote: I'm with you on that, 15 centimeters sounds a lot bigger than 6 inches..

150 millimetres is even longer
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1474453 wrote: You have a lot of room to talk. You used meters and centimeters, instead of yards and feet and inches, but then use miles, instead of kilometers like the rest of the folks on your side of the pond.

What's up with THAT?

And we drink pints.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1474455 wrote: Besides, it was Noah Webster who standardized the English language over here.

Take it up with him.

But he was American, and misguided..............and now he is dead.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, pretty soon, it won't matter. They no longer seem to teach spelling in school, here.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bruv;1474457 wrote: And we drink pints.

There is that in your favor.

I was at a restaurant here, where they were selling pints, but serving them in 12 oz glasses. Figure THAT one out.
- DH Lawrence
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

YZGI;1474449 wrote: I'm with you on that, 15 centimeters sounds a lot bigger than 6 inches..There is a popular German song titled "Zwanzig Zentimeter".

I leave to your imagination what it is about.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1474456 wrote: 150 millimetres is even longer

Now that would just be bragging.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

LarsMac;1474462 wrote: There is that in your favor.

I was at a restaurant here, where they were selling pints, but serving them in 12 oz glasses. Figure THAT one out.

American pints ?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bruv;1474457 wrote: And we drink pints.
Actually, I drink Litres.

Although people still commonly refer to a "Pint" of Milk, if you look at the labelling, it is actually sold as 330ml.

It is interesting to note that Gerry Anderson, in his creations of Star Trek has, thus far, pretty much predicted the future very accurately, and in all of his creations distances & tempratures etc. are referred to in Metric.

Bruv;1474448 wrote:

Then there's "American" Football = Rugby with protection & make-up.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1474503 wrote: Actually, I drink Litres............................

The measurement in UK Pubs May only be sold in a third of a pint, two-thirds of a pint or multiples of half a pint. These must be served in stamped brim measure or line measured glasses, or from Government-stamped meters.
Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

LarsMac;1474455 wrote: Besides, it was Noah Webster who standardized the English language over here.

Take it up with him.There is an old story about Noah Webster.

One day Mrs. Webster decided to visit her husband at his office, and to her dismay, found him cuddling with his secretary.

Shocked, she blurted out, "Noah! I'm surprised!"

"No, my dear", replied Noah, "I'm surprised, you're astonished!"

Return to “General Chit Chat”