Word game: Suspect Etymology

spot

Post by spot »

ForumGarden announces a new game, just in time for Christmas.

Contestants are entitled to PLAY whenever they have a word in common English usage for which they've derived an etymology which, on reflection, is less likely than they first thought. The PLAY consists of a single post beginning with "PLAY" on a single line followed by the word and etymology being submitted.

As an experimental move, comments are permitted between plays.

Challenges may negate a PLAY.

No word may be the subject of more than one PLAY.

No contestant may PLAY twice in a row.

The winner will be the contestant with the most PLAY posts.

Good luck!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

PLAY

Lingerie: from the Latin lingere, "to lick".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Do not Google 'lingere'....................unless you are broadminded.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

I'm shocked at how few people can spell. That's awful.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot;1379633 wrote: I'm shocked at how few people can spell. That's awful.

You should probably set your google image search on "safe".
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1379647 wrote: You should probably set your google image search on "safe".

My Google setting *is* on safe. What's more, I run my browser with a child-safe filter installed and active just to make the World Wide Web a more reasonable place to spend time. It has the added virtue of blocking known infected addresses which attempt to recruit the browsing machine into a botnet.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1379648 wrote: My Google setting *is* on safe. What's more, I run my browser with a child-safe filter installed and active just to make the World Wide Web a more reasonable place to spend time. It has the added virtue of blocking known infected addresses which attempt to recruit the browsing machine into a botnet.

So........what does 'lingere' bring up on your Google search ?

My excuse was to find out what it meant in Latin..............I am none the wiser..............or perhaps I am.
spot

Post by spot »

Bruv;1379671 wrote: So........what does 'lingere' bring up on your Google search ?

My excuse was to find out what it meant in Latin..............I am none the wiser..............or perhaps I am.

It brings up on mine what it brought up on yours, stack upon stack of mis-spelled lingerie references in place of the naughty verse it ought to have found. And then what proper person could be partial / To all those nauseous epigrams of Martial?

Tomorrow? Pah, today's too late.

The wiser man lived yesterday.
spot

Post by spot »

It has taken me some minutes to understand what that last post meant. I eventually found it...

Martial, Epigram on Philaenis, trans Gillian Spraggs

The mystery I'm left with is which couplet of Martial I then translated at the post's end. I can think of no way of ever finding out.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1472771 wrote: It has taken me some minutes to understand what that last post meant.

I am happy to know you confuse yourself, so what chance for us numpties ?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Numpties: Egg shaped chocolate candies that are only sold during Easter.

I'm not sure I have the idea of this game down.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You left out "Play".
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1472811 wrote: You left out "Play".

Snooze's default state when posting is "PLAY", we can assume it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1379624 wrote: PLAY

Lingerie: from the Latin lingere, "to lick".

This sounds like something you'd find on Facebook, and I am pretty sure it is incorrect.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1472821 wrote: This sounds like something you'd find on Facebook, and I am pretty sure it is incorrect.

One point to the Heron-eating-a-frog chap. An unlikely avatar, one might think.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1472809 wrote: Numpties: Egg shaped chocolate candies that are only sold during Easter.

I'm not sure I have the idea of this game down.

You probably do, but I am not touching THAT one.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

PLAY:

Placate > Latin > a measure of resistance

(did I do that correctly?)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1472839 wrote: PLAY:

Placate > Latin > a measure of resistance

(did I do that correctly?)

Very correctly.

The best I can manage is Georg Ohm's battery experiments, Buddhist meditation and Neville Chamberlain at Munich. I'm sure there's a quicker route.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1472840 wrote: Very correctly.

The best I can manage is Georg Ohm's battery experiments, Buddhist meditation and Neville Chamberlain at Munich. I'm sure there's a quicker route.I don't understand how you're going about that. What I did with your entry was Google "Lingerie Etymology" and came up with "Linen" instead of "To Lick"

ETA: Are you doing a sort of reverse lookup?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1472846 wrote: I don't understand how you're going about that. What I did with your entry was Google "Lingerie Etymology" and came up with "Linen" instead of "To Lick"

ETA: Are you doing a sort of reverse lookup?

You're quite right that the way the word "lingerie" developed over the centuries was from the old word for linen, "linge". My suggestion that it was from the latin "lingere", the verb meaning to lick, was wrong. Deliberately wrong.

Placate, as best I know, is from "placere" meaning to please. One of the most interesting problems is, I think, how a word twists from one meaning to the next as each generation takes it and mangles it and leaves it lying used and naked on the side of the street for someone else to employ.

I thought I'd try to get from "a measure of resistance" to "placate" by logical twists. It's not a real description of how Placate has shifted meaning though. I took "a measure of resistance", the Ohm, named after George Ohm, to the Buddhist meditation chant "Omm" because it has the same sound, to the most famous British Buddhist in living memory, Neville Chamberlain, who bought a year for the British Armed Forces to build up its fighting numbers and capacity by placating the German Government in 1938 instead of going to war prematurely and losing.

It's a what-if sort of derivation. Nobody has ever explained Neville Chamberlain's philosophy quite that way before. He did a great thing in 1938 and he was lambasted for it by chickenhawks ever after.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I appreciate the explanation. I also see the route you took to it. Your way is a bit more fun and challenging; probably better brain therapy too.

As a side note: Perhaps Obama knew about Neville Chamerlain; he's apparently taken a similar approach with the republicans in his focus on the long game.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

You can lick a battery & taste the resistance. I don't think I'd call it pleasureable though, but then, there's no accounting for taste.

Return to “Word Games”