Leon Brittan, RIP

spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est.

The announcement, even so, brought into my mind Michael Parkinson's long-forgotten observation on hearing of the death of Jane Goody, that she had come to represent "all that's paltry and wretched about Britain".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-30938755
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1472229 wrote: De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est.

The announcement, even so, brought into my mind Michael Parkinson's long-forgotten observation on hearing of the death of Jane Goody, that she had come to represent "all that's paltry and wretched about Britain".

BBC News - Ex-Home Secretary Leon Brittan dies

You're right, one should not speak ill of the dead - however tempting. Although sometimes it is necessary in order to put the correct facts to the world.

By the way it was Jade Goody, Mr. Spot !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
theia

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by theia »

Of the dead nothing unless good be spoken?

Good test of my Latin skills, whether right or wrong.

I don't know much about the man except that I've heard his name mentioned several times recently in connection with a dossier on paedophilia that allegedly wasn't dealt with.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by Bruv »

I would like to object on behalf of the late Miss Goody.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1472241 wrote: I would like to object on behalf of the late Miss Goody. Seconded...

So said Parkinson now resorting to giving away free pens with some tawdry second rate commercial for Insurance.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472248 wrote: So said Parkinson now resorting to giving away free pens with some tawdry second rate commercial for Insurance.
This is the tawdry second rate advertising contract for which Mr Parkingson banked £50,000 in exchange for eight half-day recording sessions? You should be so lucky.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1472248 wrote: Seconded...

So said Parkinson now resorting to giving away free pens with some tawdry second rate commercial for Insurance.

It wasn't Parkinson's input I was objecting to, it was that the comparison came to mind.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472259 wrote: This is the tawdry second rate advertising contract for which Mr Parkingson banked £50,000 in exchange for eight half-day recording sessions? You should be so lucky.

In the meantime, we'd be grateful If you could acquire the right name before making comparisons I'm sure at some point there will be a Jane Goody stumbling across this site wondering how many Bicardi Breezers she sank on account of not remembering any quote from Mr Parkinson regarding her.

Likewise, Jade Goody's family may also appreciate some accuracy,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472263 wrote: In the meantime, we'd be grateful If you could acquire the right name before making comparisons I'm sure at some point there will be a Jane Goody stumbling across this site wondering how many Bicardi Breezers she sank on account of not remembering any quote from Mr Parkinson regarding her.

Likewise, Jade Goody's family may also appreciate some accuracy,I have only ever heard her referred to as "that Goody woman". The Jane was a fortuitous shot in the dark. Close, but no potato.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472264 wrote: I have only ever heard her referred to as "that Goody woman". The Jane was a fortuitous shot in the dark. Close, but no potato.

Then I suggest you research to put some accuracy Into your posts.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472266 wrote: Then I suggest you research to put some accuracy Into your posts.

Where it matters, I often do. Where trivia is concerned, I frequently make it up. I have even been known, though rarely, to fail to correct a typo which makes it past the spell-checker.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472272 wrote: Where it matters, I often do. Where trivia is concerned, I frequently make it up. I have even been known, though rarely, to fail to correct a typo which makes it past the spell-checker.
Life time earnings of 8 million from a girl on welfare from Bermondsey In 11 years ? Hardly trivia.

A girl who brought about changes to Cervical Cancer screening In the UK ? Hardly trivia.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2009 ... cancer-nhs

A girl who became an Icon and Inspiration to young women? Hardly trivia.

As I said... do some research.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472274 wrote: Life time earnings of 8 million from a girl on welfare from Bermondsey In 11 years ? Hardly trivia.

A girl who brought about changes to Cervical Cancer screening In the UK ? Hardly trivia.

Jade Goody: celebrity's fatal illness changed cervical cancer attitudes | Society | The Guardian

A girl who became an Icon and Inspiration to young women? Hardly trivia.

As I said... do some research.

That's what one gets for coming to represent "all that's paltry and wretched about Britain". What did Thomas More say to Richard Rich, in The Man for All Seasons? I shall, inspired by your exhortation, look it up.

"Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales? "

Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472275 wrote: That's what one gets for coming to represent "all that's paltry and wretched about Britain". What did Thomas More say to Richard Rich, in The Man for All Seasons? I shall, inspired by your exhortation, look it up.

"Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales? "

The tell us... How did she represent all that's paltry ?

That's Jade not Jane I mean.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472276 wrote: The tell us... How did she represent all that's paltry ?

That's Jade not Jane I mean.
You'll have to ask Mr Parkinson. Unless you really want me to dig though old threads and repost my old comments.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

spot;1472280 wrote: You'll have to ask Mr Parkinson. Unless you really want me to dig though old threads and repost my old comments.

Here we are...

Re: Jade Goody reality tv personality dies

I will not be a hypocrite about Jade now she has died. I couldn't stand the sight of her and i was sick of the whole media circus. I find it ironic that the loathsome mother is now telling the press that the family wants privacy.

Before you ask, that's your post, not mine.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472274 wrote: A girl who brought about changes to Cervical Cancer screening In the UK ? Hardly trivia.

Jade did not instigate the campaign for the law to be changed to screening at 20 yrs old. Some-one else started it and Jade merely said she backed it. The praise should go to the people who started the campaigning and who will be carrying on the fight to raise awareness. jade just happened to be in the public eye with an illness that campaigning was already under way for.

Before you ask, that's also your post, not mine.

I just don't like to see all the hard work put in by others being put down to just Jade.

(That was you, too.)
flopstock

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by flopstock »

So are you happy this guy is gone or no?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

I'm more than happy to be perfectly honest and admit that at the time, I found the entire media spectacle around her death revolting. In all honesty, I still do especially from that vile Mother Jackiey Budden. Yet, I have changed my view after reading more on Jade since then. From what I have read, Jade knew that what she did, Inviting the media Into the last moments and Intimate moments of her life was paltry but having read her reasons and been educated since Into why she did what she did, I have changed my view.

She had two very young children and feared for their future. She wanted them educated and privately educated to give them a start In life that she was never afforded. The only way she could do this and raise the money, was to do what she did and I applaud that especially when her actions brought about so much critisism. I am sure her two boys will go on to great things In life because of that and If It taught me one thing, It is not to pre-judge anyone until we know all the facts and reasons.

She made not have actually brought about changes In law or In the NHS but she did raise awareness Into Cervical Cancer In young women. She educated and Inspired women to Insist they were screened what ever their GP's advised. She made awareness about the symptoms and for that she saved lives.

Chloe Madeley reveals Jade Goody inspired her to have life-saving tests for cervical cancer - 3am & Mirror Online
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

flopstock;1472288 wrote: So are you happy this guy is gone or no?

Good lord no, I'd have been happy if he'd reached his hundred. There are now a lot of questions he can never be asked.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472289 wrote: If It taught me one thing, It is not to pre-judge anyone until we know all the facts and reasons.

Some things are just too abysmally deliberately barbaric to be forgiven.

That's me, this time, but from the same thread as we've been quoting from already.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472296 wrote: Some things are just too abysmally deliberately barbaric to be forgiven.

That's me, this time, but from the same thread as we've been quoting from already. It's the same with most things. We all pre-judge In life. I have and no doubt I still do at times but Jade Goody just happened to be one I did much reading about after she died. I learned much that I didn't know. No shame In that.
Peter Lake

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by Peter Lake »

spot;1472296 wrote: Some things are just too abysmally deliberately barbaric to be forgiven.

That's me, this time, but from the same thread as we've been quoting from already.

I've got a couple of days with nothing planned. Shall i do the same as you and trawl through threads where you've changed your opinion on someone? I could start with your posts claiming Obama was the best thing since sliced bread. Unless of course, you haven't been back and deleted them.

For goodness sake, Oscar changed her opinion on someone after reading a book about them. We've all done it and it's no big deal.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Peter Lake;1472307 wrote: I've got a couple of days with nothing planned. Shall i do the same as you and trawl through threads where you've changed your opinion on someone? I could start with your posts claiming Obama was the best thing since sliced bread. Unless of course, you haven't been back and deleted them.

For goodness sake, Oscar changed her opinion on someone after reading a book about them. We've all done it and it's no big deal.
Go back to the start of the thread, Peter. Read the first dozen posts and find out why I allowed myself to be egged into quoting oscar's posts back at her. Work out who exactly is doing what to whom on this site. Have I gone for her jugular, or have I been drip-drip goaded yet again by a poster whose avowed intention is to prevent me from meaningfully engaging on ForumGarden.

Go on, go back and check. I made a single-letter typo which the spell-checker missed because Jane is in the dictionary. Go back and see what she does with it. I have to put up with this continually.

I am not, you understand, looking to you for sympathy here. I'm merely correcting your implied accusation.

On a point of fact I have never made any "posts claiming Obama was the best thing since sliced bread". I was against his election as president, I said from the beginning that a Republican replacement for Bush was essential and I criticized both their platforms. Either you're genuinely mistaken or, yet again, you're maliciously poisoning the well. My guess is that you wrote through ignorance but by all means go back and check if you can't believe me.

I notice you started a thread today. Should I open it, or should I leave it alone? You might like to advise me.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472334 wrote: Go back to the start of the thread, Peter. Read the first dozen posts and find out why I allowed myself to be egged into quoting oscar's posts back at her. Work out who exactly is doing what to whom on this site. Have I gone for her jugular, or have I been drip-drip goaded yet again by a poster whose avowed intention is to prevent me from meaningfully engaging on ForumGarden.

Go on, go back and check. I made a single-letter typo which the spell-checker missed because Jane is in the dictionary. Go back and see what she does with it. I have to put up with this continually.

I am not, you understand, looking to you for sympathy here. I'm merely correcting your implied accusation.

On a point of fact I have never made any "posts claiming Obama was the best thing since sliced bread". I was against his election as president, I said from the beginning that a Republican replacement for Bush was essential and I criticized both their platforms. Either you're genuinely mistaken or, yet again, you're maliciously poisoning the well. My guess is that you wrote through ignorance but by all means go back and check if you can't believe me.

I notice you started a thread today. Should I open it, or should I leave it alone? You might like to advise me. Spot, I have a damn good memory. Pre election I clearly recall you posting on Obama. I remember one post In particular where you said along the lines that Obama was the best hope for the US since Kennedy. I also clearly recall one day when I posted his name as Obama lama ding dong or something like that and you came In and made your feelings quite clear about my Insulting him. As It happens, some time ago I did actually search for your posts on Obama but couldn't find them. However, I have a bloody good memory and I am not a liar.

Don't bully Peter as to whether you open his thread or not. He has every right to post here and post a thread to deal with your personal attacks. What did I say ? Next you'll be saying you are being bullied.

Peter has made his feelings clear as was his right. Please stop trying to con us that you had no Idea he was posting here. Go and look at his post count and you'll see that he has posted a fair bit lately and at the exact same time as you were posting as FG. He contributed to many threads here In the past weeks and as you were also posting at the time, you could hardly have not seen him here.

In this thread, other members corrected you on the name Jade yet you did not hone In on them and personally attack them.

For everyone here probably sick to death of this, we will refrain from posting In your threads unless we are replying to another member. That should do the trick
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

The purpose in calling today's symposium is to bring back from the shadows several of the "questions he can never be asked" given that Leon Brittan is no longer with us. Before we begin, I insist that Geoffrey Dickens's missing file be discussed, if at all, elsewhere. It is a red herring, it is of no interest to this thread, it would swamp what would otherwise be an interesting exchange.

Where should we start? The inherently back-stabbing nature of Thatcher's cabinet? The assault on the Trades Unions which Leon Brittan helped plan in advance? The politicisation of England's police force? Would anyone like a few photos of the Battle of Orgreave?
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472336 wrote: Don't bully Peter as to whether you open his thread or not.
Would you like to justify this?

I asked a simple question. I haven't opened the thread. I asked him whether I should open it or leave it alone because, unlike me, he knows what it's about. If I open it and find errors of fact or judgement I might post observations. Either they would be welcome or they wouldn't. Seeking his opinion was one way of potentially avoiding yet another spat.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472336 wrote: In this thread, other members corrected you on the name Jade yet you did not hone In on them and personally attack them.

I'm not sure you've actually been back and looked. I started the thread with a typo. Gilly noted it, it's not a secret. You had a dig at #8. I replied with a pleasantry. You had another dig at #10. I replied with a second pleasantry. You had a third dig at #12 and I still refused to bite. And you're saying I honed in and personally attacked you? Nobody, but nobody, is capable of looking at this thread and reaching that conclusion. You had a fourth dig at #14 which I answered, relevantly, with your own opinions from the time. And this is a thread in which I'm having a go at you? Tosh.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472339 wrote: Would you like to justify this?

I asked a simple question. I haven't opened the thread. I asked him whether I should open it or leave it alone because, unlike me, he knows what it's about. If I open it and find errors of fact or judgement I might post observations. Either they would be welcome or they wouldn't. Seeking his opinion was one way of potentially avoiding yet another spat. Spot, there's a saying from where we come from. Never blag a blagger. You posting " I notice you started a thread today. Should I open it, or should I leave it alone? You might like to advise me. " Is threatening. What you were Implying was that he should fear you opening It and possibly grovel to you.

Open It or don't open It. Neither of us care. He has a right to post a thread addressing your personal attack and you have every right to read It and reply. It's up to you. However, he has been most civil and polite.

Regardless, I am sure my offer Is reasonable and some kind of cease fire can be secured.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472341 wrote: Spot, there's a saying from where we come from. Never blag a blagger.

I googled, I found 24 hits, none of them gave me the slightest information on what that means. Most were on Twitter.

I went to the OED.

Are you seriously confessing that you "obtain or achieve by persuasive talk or plausible deception; bluff, dupe or deceive by bluffing; scrounge, esp. by clever or deceitful talk"? That's what you're accusing yourself of??

The world confuses me just that little bit more every day.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472343 wrote: I googled, I found 24 hits, none of them gave me the slightest information on what that means. Most were on Twitter.

I went to the OED.

Are you seriously confessing that you "obtain or achieve by persuasive talk or plausible deception; bluff, dupe or deceive by bluffing; scrounge, esp. by clever or deceitful talk"? That's what you're accusing yourself of??

The world confuses me just that little bit more every day.

It's just a saying Spot used by Londoner's. I don't care what Interpretation some anonymous clever d.ick puts on It, It's used also to say, who do you think you're fooling ? Just as ' Stop bending my ear' In no way suggests someone Is physically assaulting someone's aural lobe.

By asking Peter whether you should open his thread or not Is attempting to force a response from him and the hope he'll be equally Insulting for you to act on It.

I've offered you a cease fire.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472344 wrote: I've offered you a cease fire.Oh go on - you haven't explained why you and Peter are members of an over-50s dating site yet. I've been waiting for that bit with great anticipation. Or was it someone else saw my spot account there and thought you'd be interested.

Maybe it's only Peter, on reflection.

I've never seen the OED described as "some anonymous clever dick" before.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472349 wrote: Oh go on - you haven't explained why you and Peter are members of an over-50s dating site yet. I've been waiting for that bit with great anticipation. Or was it someone else saw my spot account there and thought you'd be interested.

Maybe it's only Peter, on reflection.

I've never seen the OED described as "some anonymous clever dick" before. Yet, you have openly admitted here that you only registered with the forum to relish In seeing the meltdown from a banned member from here. I mean, seriously, who does that ? Why ? It's vindictive.

I'll be completely honest here as I have nothing to hide at all. I received more than one e mail to Inform me that you had joined the forum. They were concerned that your sole Intention for registering was to troll and attempt to humiliate the banned member from here. Peter and I both took a look at the forum and It seemed a pretty good one. I particually liked the Serious discussion section and members seemed civil and Interesting. So we both registered with the view that we would post there. Yet, as with most things here, time Is not a luxury I have. I've done that In the past, registered with a forum and then never went back because of lack of time. It does seem an Interesting forum with a variety of posters and I do hope to post there more.
Bryn Mawr

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1472336 wrote: Spot, I have a damn good memory. Pre election I clearly recall you posting on Obama. I remember one post In particular where you said along the lines that Obama was the best hope for the US since Kennedy. I also clearly recall one day when I posted his name as Obama lama ding dong or something like that and you came In and made your feelings quite clear about my Insulting him. As It happens, some time ago I did actually search for your posts on Obama but couldn't find them. However, I have a bloody good memory and I am not a liar.

Don't bully Peter as to whether you open his thread or not. He has every right to post here and post a thread to deal with your personal attacks. What did I say ? Next you'll be saying you are being bullied.

Peter has made his feelings clear as was his right. Please stop trying to con us that you had no Idea he was posting here. Go and look at his post count and you'll see that he has posted a fair bit lately and at the exact same time as you were posting as FG. He contributed to many threads here In the past weeks and as you were also posting at the time, you could hardly have not seen him here.

In this thread, other members corrected you on the name Jade yet you did not hone In on them and personally attack them.

For everyone here probably sick to death of this, we will refrain from posting In your threads unless we are replying to another member. That should do the trick

I also have a damn'd good memory and I can assure you that Spot was consistently against Obama getting elected because that would allow the Republicans to shift the blame for the results of their wars onto the subsequent government.

This thread is a clear case of you hounding Spot and it is not acceptable. A simple memorial thread is now turned into a dogfight over a typo - and a simple "by the way it's Jade not Jane" can in no way be compared to your posts #8 and #10 and to suggest that the last paragraph of post #24 is Spot bullying Peter is laughable.

Enough! If you cannot post in the same thread as Spot without attacking him then put him on ignore but this must stop - you might not like him but that is no excuse for this.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472351 wrote: Yet, you have openly admitted here that you only registered with the forum to relish In seeing the meltdown from a banned member from here. I mean, seriously, who does that ? Why ? It's vindictive.

I'll be completely honest here as I have nothing to hide at all. I received more than one e mail to Inform me that you had joined the forum. They were concerned that your sole Intention for registering was to troll and attempt to humiliate the banned member from here. Peter and I both took a look at the forum and It seemed a pretty good one. I particually liked the Serious discussion section and members seemed civil and Interesting. So we both registered with the view that we would post there. Yet, as with most things here, time Is not a luxury I have. I've done that In the past, registered with a forum and then never went back because of lack of time. It does seem an Interesting forum with a variety of posters and I do hope to post there more.

So - let's extract the entire irony from this please - The only reason you two are members there is because I joined the site? And the only purpose I had in joining the site, according to you, was to troll, humiliate and bait JJ despite the fact that he'd already closed his account there? And there's no possible reason to think you and Peter could have joined to troll, humiliate and bait me there, given that my account is open and active, unlike JJ's? Me doing it is automatically stalking, but you doing it can't possibly be seen in that light?

I'm not actually convinced you knew, until I told you, that JJ had ever had an account there in the first place. If you did, for example, you'd know his username. You'd better ask quickly before someone calls you on it.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472356 wrote: So - let's extract the entire irony from this please - The only reason you two are members there is because I joined the site? And the only purpose I had in joining the site, according to you, was to troll, humiliate and bait JJ despite the fact that he'd already closed his account there? And there's no possible reason to think you and Peter could have joined to troll, humiliate and bait me there, given that my account is open and active, unlike JJ's? Me doing it is automatically stalking, but you doing it can't possibly be seen in that light?

I'm not actually convinced you knew, until I told you, that JJ had ever had an account there in the first place. If you did, for example, you'd know his username. You'd better ask quickly before someone calls you on it.

No Spot, that's your Interpretation. I repeat, we had a look as guests and liked the look of the place. In the past, new forums I have registered with either seem to have the same few posters all the time or the threads are In the main fluffy. I liked the look of the forum as In the Serious discussion section I was delighted to see someone had even posted a thread on Pat Condell which Is right up my street. Someone else has touched on Immigration. It looked a good forum with many posters. Nothing sinister about that at all. People point me In the direction of other forums all the time. If It bothers you that much, I'm quite happy to deregister. It's not a big deal because chances are I won't get time to post there much anyway.

Yes, I did know JJ was there. We are friends and talk to each other via e mail.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472357 wrote: No Spot, that's your Interpretation.

I'll remind you. I received more than one e mail to Inform me that you had joined the forum. They were concerned that your sole Intention for registering was to troll and attempt to humiliate the banned member from here. Peter and I both took a look at the forum

The only reason you two are members there is because I joined the site.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472360 wrote: I'll remind you. I received more than one e mail to Inform me that you had joined the forum. They were concerned that your sole Intention for registering was to troll and attempt to humiliate the banned member from here. Peter and I both took a look at the forum

The only reason you two are members there is because I joined the site.

Yes, Spot, I did have e mails out of concern as to why you had joined a forum that JJ was on after he was banned here. Given the history between you, that's a perfectly reasonable fear from his friends. Turn It around. Let's say It was you who was banned here, found another forum and then JJ suddenly joins? I get pointed to other forums all the time. Natural curiosity makes me not alone In having a look just to see what It's like. I have looked at many forums over the years but as I have said, that forum looked pretty good and probably the best I'd seen for years with topics that I actually had some knowledge In. Why shouldn't we register ? Good forums are hard to find these days. I do go there every so often to see what threads have been posted In the serious discussion section and I have never seen a post from you. If your not posting there, why the big deal that I've found a forum that I like ? You were the one who went after JJ, you've admitted that. I just happened to like the look of the place. Why does everything have to be so sinister?

Just to clarify, I do talk with JJ via e mail for this reason. Never In the history of this forum has he ever caused me any harm or grief. Yes, I've seen all the stories about him but apart from one spat we had a few years ago, he has been nothing but gentlemanly toward me. He always asks after Peter's health and I appreciate that. I don't hate people just because others do.

Are you actually saying that because you joined, I can not join ? As I do get along with JJ, maybe I would want to post somewhere where he posts. He's banned here so I cant post with him unless I join a forum that he's on. If It really bothers you, I'll deregister. I think you're over-analysing something that Is just not there. Would you like me to deregister ? Chances are I won't have time to post there much anyway.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

You joined Buzz50 because "maybe I would want to post somewhere where he posts", despite his having closed his account there long before you joined, and you email him regularly? That's your sole alternative to "I was stalking spot"? You are what, in my youth, was called a piece of work, oscar, and you're convincing nobody. The hole is deep enough. Stop, already. You brought up the over-50s dating site in the hope I might quail at exposure. By all means post there, who knows, you might get lucky.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot wrote: You joined Buzz50 because "maybe I would want to post somewhere where he posts", despite his having closed his account there long before you joined, and you email him regularly? That's your sole alternative to "I was stalking spot"? You are what, in my youth, was called a piece of work, oscar, and you're convincing nobody. The hole is deep enough. Stop, already. You brought up the over-50s dating site in the hope I might quail at exposure. By all means post there, who knows, you might get lucky.

JJ and I are not e mailing every day. There are periods of time I don't hear from him. I have dug no hole Spot. ' Maybe I would like to post with JJ' was a hypothetical question ie, I may have many reasons for joining the site and that could have been one of them. You are guessing why I joined and you guessed wrong. I am perfectly entitled to look at other forums and If I like them, register. Had you been a prolific poster there, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Yet you calling me a liar.eg Are you aware there are other ex members there In different user names ? There are not many good forums around that see regular posting. Some go days without a post. People In forums move around forums and when a good one Is found, they tend to recommend to others. That goes on all the time so why should I be questioned here? As It happens, I recommended that forum to another member here because I liked the look of It.

I can only go by what you have written. You stated you joined to watch a banned member go Into meltdown there. Sorry but this Is not stacking up somewhere. I don't get why you would post here that you joined to watch him go Into meltdown If he closed his account there or did he close his account because you joined ? Believe It not, when we do talk via e mail, the subject Is not about you so I am In the dark here as to why he closed his account. I also no where stated the timing of the e mails I had from his friends.

I'll ask again. Do you want me to deregister ? I'm quite happy to do that If you believe that I can't join any forum you are on. You are looking for motives In everything and over over-analysing. I've had enough of this. I'll take on Bryn's feelings here as this Is going nowhere. You just keep coming back with more. If an ex member points me to another forum, I have every right to register If I like just as you did at 24 knowing I was there.

This ends now.
flopstock

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by flopstock »

spot;1472294 wrote: Good lord no, I'd have been happy if he'd reached his hundred. There are now a lot of questions he can never be asked.

That's what I was thinking when I read the bit. I wonder if he was the scapegoat.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472380 wrote: I am In the dark here as to why he closed his account.I suggest you ask him and see whether he can come up with a socially acceptable reason.

He had closed his account before I registered. I registered for two reasons. One was to see what lies he'd written in his profile - he did, after all, write a lot of lies in his many profiles here. The other was to see what photos he'd stored, since they were partly the topic of the thread I'd been referred to.
flopstock

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by flopstock »

spot;1472375 wrote: You joined Buzz50 because "maybe I would want to post somewhere where he posts", despite his having closed his account there long before you joined, and you email him regularly? That's your sole alternative to "I was stalking spot"? You are what, in my youth, was called a piece of work, oscar, and you're convincing nobody. The hole is deep enough. Stop, already. You brought up the over-50s dating site in the hope I might quail at exposure. By all means post there, who knows, you might get lucky.
Are you on Buzz50 Spot? Will it creep you out if I join?:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Seriously it lists USA, are they separated by country?

Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472385 wrote: I suggest you ask him and see whether he can come up with a socially acceptable reason.

He had closed his account before I registered. I registered for two reasons. One was to see what lies he'd written in his profile - he did, after all, write a lot of lies in his many profiles here. The other was to see what photos he'd stored, since they were partly the topic of the thread I'd been referred to.
I know Spot. I know his past crimes but they never affected me. Apart from one spat, he never caused me a moments trouble. I have never yielded to hating people just because others do. I judge people on how they treat me. The fact he writes to ask after Peter's health shows he has always treated me kindly and that's why I return the friendship and keep In touch with him. Why would It bother you what he'd written In his profile? That's the bit I am not getting here. If he was banned from FG, what does It matter what he writes In his profile on another forum ? Whatever he wrote, It couldn't hurt you.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472392 wrote: Why would It bother you what he'd written In his profile? That's the bit I am not getting here. If he was banned from FG, what does It matter what he writes In his profile on another forum ? Whatever he wrote, It couldn't hurt you.

A continuing curiosity about someone I have long regarded as a lying online pest and scoundrel, who has over the years caused this site more moderating trouble than anyone else, even you.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472397 wrote: A continuing curiosity about someone I have long regarded as a lying online pest and scoundrel, who has over the years caused this site more moderating trouble than anyone else, even you. But It's past Spot. He's gone from here so why the worry ? Don't you see that stressing over him or anyone who has caused you grief, just let's them have a control over you ? The best way to deal with anyone who causes you grief In life, Is just to cut them out of your life, not go following them all over the Internet. A month from now, he could be on another forum writing a new profile. You can't follow him everywhere checking him out. If you despise someone that much, checking them out Is giving them more oxygen. Seriously and sincerely now. You have more going on In life than most people, why resort to that ?
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472401 wrote: But It's past Spot. He's gone from here so why the worry ? Don't you see that stressing over him or anyone who has caused you grief, just let's them have a control over you ? The best way to deal with anyone who causes you grief In life, Is just to cut them out of your life, not go following them all over the Internet. A month from now, he could be on another forum writing a new profile. You can't follow him everywhere checking him out. If you despise someone that much, checking them out Is giving them more oxygen. Seriously and sincerely now. You have more going on In life than most people, why resort to that ?
Coming from someone who has pursued an unmitigated vendetta against me on this site for the past six years I find that a little rich.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472402 wrote: Coming from someone who has pursued an unmitigated vendetta against me on this site for the past six years I find that a little rich.

I'll answer this accusation politely. Dear Spot, trust me, If I had an unmitigated vendetta against you for six years then boy, did I pass up some chances. I am replying to this because you have come back at me further with a false allegation.

Right, first. A few years ago I was sent a message on Facebook by an ex moderator here. It was reams and reams of allegations against you. I read It and the first thing I thought about was why this person had sent on this copy of the e mail he'd sent out to me. Being an old cynic, I was In no doubt that this person believed I would relish the opportunity to forward It on. I didn't know this person too well so I was suspicious. Over the next couple of days, word had got round this was doing the rounds and I started getting messages asking me If I had It and would I pass It on to them. In fact, one Canadian member positively pleaded with me. What I could have done was relish In every bitter word about you with glee and send It on en mass. When I started getting messages asking me to send copies on, I deleted It completely for the simple reason that god forbid, I may get the hump with you one day so much, I may yield to temptation. I didn't even show It to Peter. Now, go and ask Bryn for he was the only one I copied and sent It to because I believed he needed to see the vile accusations made about you and be prepared for It to show up here.

Due to the title of your thread about me and the ensuing row that followed, you pissed my lawyer right off. The fact that you would not even accept the Post had libeled me even after Chezzie found and produced the retraction they printed In their rag stating they had got It wrong and continued even attempting to obtain a transcript of my trial, he wanted to sue you. Not the forum, you. At the time, we knew nothing about you other than a poster on a forum. For all we knew, you could have been a stalker and that's why. had the trial not have been tried In a Magistrates court where there Is no transcript and there had Indeed been one, he was ready to obtain an Injunction against you and a restraining order. It was me who declined any action against you. It was me who made nothing of It and Insisted we let It go.

There has been other, no doubt false accusations bandied about you between ex members. I do not pass e mails or messages on so believe me, If I had an unmitigated vendetta against you Spot, boy, have I had some choice opportunities. I didn't take those opportunities because although you are capable of being a pillock, I am not vindictive as you portray. I also had every opportunity to report your ' testing' thread a few days ago for omitting the link for the author of the poem you quoted. As I didn't It's barely a vendetta.
spot

Leon Brittan, RIP

Post by spot »

Oscar Namechange;1472417 wrote: I also had every opportunity to report your ' testing' thread a few days ago for omitting the link for the author of the poem you quoted. As I didn't It's barely a vendetta.

Good lord. You don't think, just possibly, that a 15th century Instructional Guide to Good Manners and Etiquette is by now in the Public Domain? Whose copyright am I meant to be protecting! It was, to the best of my knowledge, of unknown authorship, and I didn't take it from an online source in the first place.

Dear oh dear.

Press on.
Oscar Namechange

Leon Brittan, RIP

spot;1472422 wrote: Good lord. You don't think, just possibly, that a 15th century Instructional Guide to Good Manners and Etiquette is by now in the Public Domain? Whose copyright am I meant to be protecting here.

Dear oh dear.

Press on. Come off It Spot. You know full well I had every opportunity to send that bile about you out en masse. You knew all about that epistle he sent out, I could have taken advantage. Things are never quite what they seem. By the way, are you still snooping In my Facebook profile ? Just wondering as I did delete the mock up's Clancy sent out of you as you were so annoyed about them. See Spot, not everything Is as you Imagine.

Return to “Current Events”