I'm on the search for meaning...again!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
theia

Post by theia »

It's Sunday morning, quite a pleasant day and I woke up with the question, what is the meaning of our lives (well, mine really, I can't answer for anyone else). It's not a comfortable feeling, even less so after searching online for what certain philosophers, writers and authors have to say about it.

It seems we're born and we die and whatever happens in between depends on how we, as individuals and as members of a society, choose to define it. So, is the meaning of our lives solely dependent on how we see it? I suppose it is...is it?

In a way, this can feel quite liberating, we can change our life story any time we please. But, for me, there's a scary side...I wouldn't know how to change my story. Or maybe, I'm so familiar with the way I see things that I'm scared to see it any other way?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"Beyond work and love, I would add two other ingredients that give meaning to life. First, to fulfill whatever talents we are born with. However blessed we are by fate with different abilities and strengths, we should try to develop them to the fullest, rather than allow them to atrophy and decay. We all know individuals who did not fulfill the promise they showed in childhood. Many of them became haunted by the image of what they might have become. Instead of blaming fate, I think we should accept ourselves as we are and try to fulfill whatever dreams are within our capability.

Second, we should try to leave the world a better place than when we entered it. As individuals, we can make a difference, whether it is to probe the secrets of Nature, to clean up the environment and work for peace and social justice, or to nurture the inquisitive, vibrant spirit of the young by being a mentor and a guide.”

― Michio Kaku
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
theia

Post by theia »

I like the quotation, AFTR. Thank you :-6
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

theia;1467107 wrote: It's Sunday morning, quite a pleasant day and I woke up with the question, what is the meaning of our lives (well, mine really, I can't answer for anyone else). It's not a comfortable feeling, even less so after searching online for what certain philosophers, writers and authors have to say about it.

It seems we're born and we die and whatever happens in between depends on how we, as individuals and as members of a society, choose to define it. So, is the meaning of our lives solely dependent on how we see it? I suppose it is...is it?

In a way, this can feel quite liberating, we can change our life story any time we please. But, for me, there's a scary side...I wouldn't know how to change my story. Or maybe, I'm so familiar with the way I see things that I'm scared to see it any other way?

I think we all ask these questions as we get older and that's natural. I think we all like to have achieved something before we shuffle off this earth and If we haven't achieved monumental accolades, Its very easy to have a wobble about life. Yet, there are achievements In everyone's life. Those achievements may seem insignificant to others such as being a wonderful Mother but to others looking at you, they are still monumental achievements.

The scary side of how to change your life Is Indeed scary. Yet, sometimes, It can be the smallest of things that suddenly makes you take a completely different course.

I never believed I'd be doing what I am doing now but like you, I had a niggle a few years ago. It was strange, I just could not put my finger on It for some time but It continued to niggle away at me. One night, I was on the phone to one of my brothers, just talking about when we were kids and just something he said, hit me straight In the face. When I came off the phone, I had the answer to what had been niggling me for so long and everything became clear. From that day, my life changed and by the next day, I had direction, focus and self belief to take that change In life. I may not achieve all I want to achieve but I know why I am doing It.... If that makes sense.

It's very easy to doubt ourselves as we get older and look back thinking about what Impression we made on the world. Yet, some people find the answer to a life changing course early on In life and they are the lucky ones but some of us find It later In life. Those who do find It later In life, Invariably need a life of experience and other achievements before we can embark on something else that Is life changing.

I like to think that those who do change their life story later In life find the answer and the reason for doing so because of the experience I had... something you can't put your finger on, niggles away at you and one day, just something someone says or something you see, suddenly all the answers come and It all starts to make sense.

I may not achieve great things but I know why I am doing It....But don't be afraid... It Is a wonderful state of mind when everything becomes clear and from then on, you have purpose and a path to take whatever our ages. If you have that niggle now, then that's a sign you can and will do It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Start simply. One day, one moment, at a time. Take in this moment, and take a step. The only thing you can actually affect is the very next moment. And each moment leads to the next.

Give up attachment to all the rest of the "Stuff" going on around you, and just be. Here and Now.

That is hard enough to accomplish for most of us.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

theia;1467107 wrote: It's Sunday morning, quite a pleasant day and I woke up with the question, what is the meaning of our lives (well, mine really, I can't answer for anyone else). It's not a comfortable feeling, even less so after searching online for what certain philosophers, writers and authors have to say about it.

The meaning of life is to spend as little time as possible asking what the meaning of it is and instead finding out what there is to explore while we're here. Maybe it's like school. At the beginning of each term we know nothing of what we're about to learn …. and by the end of it, we do. Perhaps this life is like one term of an educational eternity.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My granddaughter (now 18) put it simply enough.

To her, the meaning of life is to make people smile.
- DH Lawrence
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

The people who impress me the most are those that are surrounded by other good people for it tells me that their biggest achievement is to be a decent human being.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The course of life is predetermined. Any attempt to change that course is also predetermined, so whether you change it or not makes no difference.
theia

Post by theia »

Oscar Namechange;1467114 wrote: I think we all ask these questions as we get older and that's natural. I think we all like to have achieved something before we shuffle off this earth and If we haven't achieved monumental accolades, Its very easy to have a wobble about life. Yet, there are achievements In everyone's life. Those achievements may seem insignificant to others such as being a wonderful Mother but to others looking at you, they are still monumental achievements.

The scary side of how to change your life Is Indeed scary. Yet, sometimes, It can be the smallest of things that suddenly makes you take a completely different course.

I never believed I'd be doing what I am doing now but like you, I had a niggle a few years ago. It was strange, I just could not put my finger on It for some time but It continued to niggle away at me. One night, I was on the phone to one of my brothers, just talking about when we were kids and just something he said, hit me straight In the face. When I came off the phone, I had the answer to what had been niggling me for so long and everything became clear. From that day, my life changed and by the next day, I had direction, focus and self belief to take that change In life. I may not achieve all I want to achieve but I know why I am doing It.... If that makes sense.

It's very easy to doubt ourselves as we get older and look back thinking about what Impression we made on the world. Yet, some people find the answer to a life changing course early on In life and they are the lucky ones but some of us find It later In life. Those who do find It later In life, Invariably need a life of experience and other achievements before we can embark on something else that Is life changing.

I like to think that those who do change their life story later In life find the answer and the reason for doing so because of the experience I had... something you can't put your finger on, niggles away at you and one day, just something someone says or something you see, suddenly all the answers come and It all starts to make sense.

I may not achieve great things but I know why I am doing It....But don't be afraid... It Is a wonderful state of mind when everything becomes clear and from then on, you have purpose and a path to take whatever our ages. If you have that niggle now, then that's a sign you can and will do It.

Thank you, Oscar...what an inspiring post :-6

I suppose I'm feeling a little lost because I'm not really sure what my role is now, whereas it has been fairly clearly defined for most of my life. I considered another degree, in philosophy this time around, but it's not viable. Yet your post encourages me to listen to myself and wait for the answers.
theia

Post by theia »

LarsMac;1467115 wrote: Start simply. One day, one moment, at a time. Take in this moment, and take a step. The only thing you can actually affect is the very next moment. And each moment leads to the next.

Give up attachment to all the rest of the "Stuff" going on around you, and just be. Here and Now.

That is hard enough to accomplish for most of us.

Lars, it's thoughts that keep us away from the moment, maybe? Thoughts of the future and thoughts of the past, whereas the moment is what it is without the interference of thought. I read recently that, once you name something and identify that thing by its name, you lose it's essence.
theia

Post by theia »

High Threshold;1467118 wrote: The meaning of life is to spend as little time as possible asking what the meaning of it is and instead finding out what there is to explore while we're here. Maybe it's like school. At the beginning of each term we know nothing of what we're about to learn …. and by the end of it, we do. Perhaps this life is like one term of an educational eternity.

I really like "one term of an educational eternity". Thank you!
Oscar Namechange

Another thing about life Is that we tend to pigeon hole and compartmentalise our lives. We go through life with titles, Wife, Mother, Postman, cook whatever and think that Is our lot In life. We can as we get older believe that those pigeon holes are all we have when In fact, there's an empty pigeon hole that can be filled. The key I believe Is the satisfaction of having filled those pigeon holes throughout life but then asking what my next box can be ? It's about stepping outside our comfort zones and also a little bit of being selfish and asking what you want In life and not as others want to see you.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Post by theia »

Peter Lake;1467129 wrote: The people who impress me the most are those that are surrounded by other good people for it tells me that their biggest achievement is to be a decent human being.

That's really interesting, Peter...I had never considered that!

By the way I forgot to write in my reply to Oscar that I thought she looked very lovely in her electioneering photograph.
theia

Post by theia »

FourPart;1467133 wrote: The course of life is predetermined. Any attempt to change that course is also predetermined, so whether you change it or not makes no difference.

I've had the very same feeling quite a lot recently, FourPart. Tell me more about your thoughts on this?
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

theia;1467146 wrote: That's really interesting, Peter...I had never considered that!

By the way I forgot to write in my reply to Oscar that I thought she looked very lovely in her electioneering photograph. That's very kind of you to say but did you notice how terrified the guy out shopping looked, at her canvassing him in the street? :wah: Just out of shot were four of us keeping a very watchful eye on her and the poor man was looking at us almost pleading to take her away. :wah:
theia

Post by theia »

Peter Lake;1467148 wrote: That's very kind of you to say but did you notice how terrified the guy out shopping looked, at her canvassing him in the street? :wah: Just out of shot were four of us keeping a very watchful eye on her and the poor man was looking at us almost pleading to take her away. :wah:

You rotter, you!! :wah:

She still looked stunning, however terrified that chap was :wah:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I see it as a matter of how you view time & existence. We have a natural tendency to view time as linear - A leads to B, leads to C, etc., but I see it more as a bubble. Whatever course you take, sooner or later you come back to the same point, but even that is linear. On the whole we see life in 3 dimensions, although we still accept the concept of a 4th dimension (time) fairly easily. But what of other dimensions which our puny minds are incapable of even comprehending.Scientists & Mathematicians know the theoretical existence of these dimensions is a certainty, even if they can't explain them. Take the dimensions of the Universe. As we know, it is expanding. The question is what is it expanding into?

Mathematically we would think that A = B, therefore B = A. Makes sense? But this is not necessarily so, as Descartes' Cogito Ergo Sum (I think, therefore I am) demonstrates. In that order it makes sense to use, but put as I am therefore I think it takes on a totally nonsensical meaning.

We see the definition of intelligent life as being Self Aware, but what is the definition of being self aware? An instinct for Self-Survival exists in all life forms & will take steps to escape from a potential threat. Who are we to say that even this doesn't demonstrate a level of self awareness?

It's a bit like going back to the works of Mary Shelley with her creation of Frankenstein & asking just what is the definition of 'Life'. We are all a sum total of definable elements & compounds. We have learned that signals are passed through the body by way of electrical pulses, yet nobady is, as yet, able to put together those chemicals & compounds & create an independently thinking lifeform. It could, therefore, be seen as the Life Force relies on those electrical pulses going through the nerves. Consider these pulses to be the concept of time.

I see life as being like the balls of a Newton's Cradles (one of those executive toys with swinging balls). An action is made somewhere in another dimension, and we are bound to react accordingly. Every moment in time, as we perceive it, appears to be moving, in the same way a a movie film appears to be moving, but in reality it's all an illusion & is just a series of still frames. Like looking out of the window of a train, seeing another train, then wondering if you are moving, or if it's the other train. It's all a matter of perspective.

Life is like a waveform. It may look like it's moving forward, but in reality it's just going up & down.

Freud, eat your heart out.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

theia;1467143 wrote: Lars, it's thoughts that keep us away from the moment, maybe? Thoughts of the future and thoughts of the past, whereas the moment is what it is without the interference of thought. I read recently that, once you name something and identify that thing by its name, you lose it's essence.

That is true, I think.

The Buddha says. "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."
- DH Lawrence
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Got no words of wisdom but to put it all into context take a look at Human Universe if you haven't seen it already, very humbling.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

theia;1467146 wrote: That's really interesting, Peter...I had never considered that!

By the way I forgot to write in my reply to Oscar that I thought she looked very lovely in her electioneering photograph.

Please direct me to this pic, someone. I'd love to see it!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

FourPart;1467133 wrote: The course of life is predetermined. Any attempt to change that course is also predetermined, so whether you change it or not makes no difference.

Yep. Give up, why try? That's Homer Simpson's motto.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

High Threshold;1467118 wrote: The meaning of life is to spend as little time as possible asking what the meaning of it is and instead finding out what there is to explore while we're here. Maybe it's like school. At the beginning of each term we know nothing of what we're about to learn …. and by the end of it, we do. Perhaps this life is like one term of an educational eternity.

This life? Do you think we have more?

P.S. Missed you!!
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1467177 wrote: Please direct me to this pic, someone. I'd love to see it! Send me your e mail In a PM and I'll send It to you Anne....

Yes, I disagreed with Fourpart's vision of life being predetermined also.

We have a chap In our Party, he didn't become an activist until he was 75 years old. Like me, he found the answers came to him one day and everything was made clear. He's actually our dear friend and lives just up the road from me. He's the treasurer for my region also but anyway, he stood for election at the age of 84 and won !!! He's an elected Councillor In South Glou for our Party. Like he once said ... ' I may not achieve all I want to see, but maybe I can contribute In some way.'

He's 88 years old now and spends most nights In Town Hall meetings as well as ours. He's out on the streets with my election campaign every weekend.

We are going to the national meet at the end of the month and as the norm, when he walks In that room, they salute him. He's the most admired and respected man In our Party,... 88 years old.... NO Fourpart... life Is NOT predetermined. It's what you take from It and what you want to do.

Don't believe me Fourpart... google Keynsham Council Councillors.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1467181 wrote: NO Fourpart... life Is NOT predetermined. It's what you take from It and what you want to do.

That's the point. If it's predetermined that you do that, then that's what you do.

Que Cera, Cera.
theia

Post by theia »

FourPart;1467182 wrote: That's the point. If it's predetermined that you do that, then that's what you do.

Que Cera, Cera.

I like "I am, therefore I think". It seems to fit with me somewhere, somehow. One of my longstanding and favourite books is I Am That by Sri Nisargadatta Maharajah. Others include the books of Krishnamurti. The former talks about the timelessness of being and the latter about beyond thought (what an injustice I'm committing to both these by merely mentioning those couple of things!)

I'm not sure whether either of these mention predestination but it still feels a little right to me. Yes, we're free to choose whatever we wish but it may not come into being if it's not part of our destiny...maybe? I don't know, merely feelings about it
Peter Lake

Post by Peter Lake »

theia;1467185 wrote:

I'm not sure whether either of these mention predestination but it still feels a little right to me. Yes, we're free to choose whatever we wish but it may not come into being if it's not part of our destiny...maybe? I don't know, merely feelings about it

Those who reach a part of life where they feel true contentment, that's the sign that one has achieved all they want to achieve and have inner fulfillment. Those who experience the question of what's next, have more to achieve. The sign could be a nagging doubt, gut instinct, women's intuition, whatever we call it, but if it's there, it's there for a reason. Pay attention to it for it's telling you that something good awaits you. Don't go searching for it because it will come to you when you least expect it. I agree with the wife about boxes and if you feel this way now, there's an empty box waiting for you to fill. The title of that empty box is down to you but an open mind and courage to embark on something new other than the titles life gives us will steer you in the right direction.

I didn't realise i had an empty box this late in life yet my role now is walking three yards behind the wife taking notes. Chief note taker, that's my box :wah:
theia

Post by theia »

Peter Lake;1467241 wrote: Those who reach a part of life where they feel true contentment, that's the sign that one has achieved all they want to achieve and have inner fulfillment. Those who experience the question of what's next, have more to achieve. The sign could be a nagging doubt, gut instinct, women's intuition, whatever we call it, but if it's there, it's there for a reason. Pay attention to it for it's telling you that something good awaits you. Don't go searching for it because it will come to you when you least expect it. I agree with the wife about boxes and if you feel this way now, there's an empty box waiting for you to fill. The title of that empty box is down to you but an open mind and courage to embark on something new other than the titles life gives us will steer you in the right direction.

I didn't realise i had an empty box this late in life yet my role now is walking three yards behind the wife taking notes. Chief note taker, that's my box :wah:

Thank you, Peter.

Actually, your new role sounds very much like that of Prince Philip.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

I often ponder on this too theia :) I think as Oscar said as we get older we start to think on things like this. Me? I think there is absolutely no point in us being here,, we just are. So make the most of it and try to make yourself and your loved ones happy :)

Oscar in reference to your first post i have to say, my mother achieved many things in her life I think she would probably have put ahead of being a mother as an achievement. But being a mother was most definitely her greatest achievement, in my opinion. She was an inspiration and so her life was worthwhile. I am a great believer in not wasting life. Do something good, be happy, enjoy everything little thing you can, a lot of people do not get the chance.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “General Chit Chat”