Atguably religious people are not very bright

gmc

Post by gmc »

But really?

Woman claims lawyers should have told her divorce would end her marriage - Home News - UK - The Independent

Woman claims lawyers should have told her divorce would end her marriage

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Atguably?? That doesn't sound too bright either!!!! :yh_idea
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Don't know that it has much to do with being religious.

As far as the church is concerned, she is still married, regardless of the legal status of her marriage.

She apparently slept through that part of Catechism.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

:o My apologies Should be arguably. I can spell I can type sometimes both together I get very wrong.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Don't worry about it. Walking & chewing gum can be a real challenge.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1444563 wrote: Don't worry about it. Walking & chewing gum can be a real challenge.

I can manage that quite well, until I start to talk, at which time I either trip on the sidewalk, or bite my tongue.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1444559 wrote: Don't know that it has much to do with being religious.

As far as the church is concerned, she is still married, regardless of the legal status of her marriage.

She apparently slept through that part of Catechism.

It's got everything to do with it If she wasn't religious - and this particular case catholic - it would not be an issue would it. Maybe she did sleep through it I find it incredible that anyone can think like her.
Mickiel

Post by Mickiel »

Some of the brightest humans in history have been religious.
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Religion has nothing to do with it....God makes a better fool each day.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Mickiel;1445883 wrote: Some of the brightest humans in history have been religious.

Hey!!!!!

Get back in yer own thread.......you'll get lost.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Mickiel;1445883 wrote: Some of the brightest humans in history have been religious.

Of course. The most intelligent human minds will always seek a higher understanding of the world around them, and depending upon their personalities, this can be scientific, social, philosophical or/and theological. So while those fanatics who follow religions blindly without thought are clearly not very bright, Religion itself is a hallmark of intelligence, not of idiocy.
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Bruv;1445895 wrote: Hey!!!!!

Get back in yer own thread.......you'll get lost.

I don't have a problem with it, so long as he's here to actually contribute to the discussion.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Singh-Song;1445910 wrote:

Religion itself is a hallmark of intelligence, not of idiocy.

Singh-Song;1445911 wrote: I don't have a problem with it, so long as he's here to actually contribute to the discussion.

I shall take the second comment with the same pinch of salt I took the previous one, shall I ?
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Bruv;1445912 wrote: I shall take the second comment with the same pinch of salt I took the previous one, shall I ?

Which is...? :confused: If you want to challenge the assertions I made in my previous post, and can come up with solid grounds upon which to do so, then please feel free...
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Singh-Song;1445916 wrote: Which is...? :confused: If you want to challenge the assertions I made in my previous post, and can come up with solid grounds upon which to do so, then please feel free...

Religion being the hallmark of intelligence?

"Assertion" a confident and forceful statement of fact or belief.

"Hallmark" an official mark to prove authenticity.

It is clearly a ridiculous statement or belief...........there is no need to challenge it on any grounds.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Singh-Song;1445910 wrote: Of course. The most intelligent human minds will always seek a higher understanding of the world around them, and depending upon their personalities, this can be scientific, social, philosophical or/and theological. So while those fanatics who follow religions blindly without thought are clearly not very bright, Religion itself is a hallmark of intelligence, not of idiocy.

There may have been some logic in what you say, back in the dark ages when the Church was often tasked with preserving knowledge. But somewhere along the way, the religious community shifted its focus from preserving and disseminating knowledge, to controlling and suppressing it.

While I have had the privilege to know some very intelligent and thoughtful people in religious communities during my years, I have observed their numbers as a percentage of the religious community to be on the decline in the last several decades.

I do think that blaming this on religion may not be entirely accurate. It seems to me that many people are simply retreating into some sort of mental comfort zone to avoid the bombardment of new information that is coming our way in this Information Age.
- DH Lawrence
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Bruv;1445962 wrote: Religion being the hallmark of intelligence?

"Assertion" a confident and forceful statement of fact or belief.

"Hallmark" an official mark to prove authenticity.

It is clearly a ridiculous statement or belief...........there is no need to challenge it on any grounds.

First, I said 'a' hallmark of intelligence, not 'the' hallmark. There are plenty of others, as I stated; science, sociology and philosophy being among them. Theology can be categorised in the same manner, as one of the fundamental branches of human development which can be observed in every civilisation bar none, in the past, present and for the forseeable future. We are, in most peoples' opinion, the only truly sentient species on this earth. We are also the only creatures on this earth which can be observed to practise religion. I for one don't believe that to be a pure coincidence. You dismissively deride the notion, claiming that there is no need to challenge it; the truth of the matter is that you are simply incapable of doing so.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Singh-Song;1445976 wrote: First, I said 'a' hallmark of intelligence, not 'the' hallmark. There are plenty of others, as I stated; science, sociology and philosophy being among them. Theology can be categorised in the same manner, as one of the fundamental branches of human development which can be observed in every civilisation bar none, in the past, present and for the forseeable future. We are, in most peoples' opinion, the only truly sentient species on this earth. We are also the only creatures on this earth which can be observed to practise religion. I for one don't believe that to be a pure coincidence. You dismissively deride the notion, claiming that there is no need to challenge it; the truth of the matter is that you are simply incapable of doing so.

The hallmark or a hallmark doesn't matter.

We are also the only species that kill wholesale for no apparent reason.

It takes a hell of a lot of intelligence to design weapons of mass destruction, is that a hallmark too?

I demissively reject the notion that an 'intelligent' being could consider, for more than a few moments,that an all powerful super being might have control over their destiny.

It seems to me that religion is the opposite of intelligent thought.
Singh-Song

Post by Singh-Song »

Bruv;1446025 wrote: The hallmark or a hallmark doesn't matter.

We are also the only species that kill wholesale for no apparent reason.

It takes a hell of a lot of intelligence to design weapons of mass destruction, is that a hallmark too?

Are you implying that scientific and technological development aren't signs of intelligence either? Because I think you'll have a hard time convincing people on that point, even fellow a(/anti)theists. Scientific and technological research, along with religious belief systems can be twisted, manipulated and utilised by those in authority to meet their own agendas. Does this mean that the development of all of these things is a sign, not of intelligence, but of idiocy?

Bruv;1446025 wrote: I demissively reject the notion that an 'intelligent' being could consider, for more than a few moments,that an all powerful super being might have control over their destiny.

It seems to me that religion is the opposite of intelligent thought.

I dismissively reject that notion as well, wholeheartedly. Ask yourself though, how many- or rather, how few- religions actually preach a message of predetermination? Free will is a central tenet of virtually every major world faith, and there are plenty of people, myself included, who make the intelligent decision to adopt a religious belief system. Even atheists are religious in their disbelief.

God doesn't have complete control over our destiny, any more than the teacher in a classroom possesses complete control over their pupils' destiny. We all choose whether we want to listen to their teachings or not, whether we want to study through prayer or do our homework through conducting research. So why then, as one of those miscreant pupils in the class who always shuts out every single word that the teacher has to say, never studies and only does bits of homework to try and poke fun at the teacher and those students who actually go to school to learn, are you so adamant that your lazy approach shows that your intelligence is superior to their own?

Return to “General Religious Discussions”